• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Season Eve

1 minute ago, MCI said:

Just before my 11yr old walked out the door this morning to get on the bus he stopped and looked at me, "dad, I hope I don't get in trouble today in school. I'm so excited to go to the cabin that I don't think I'm going to be able to pay attention in school today."

I just chuckled, messed his hair up and told him ditto for me at work today bud.

That's awesome!

1 hour ago, MCI said:

Just before my 11yr old walked out the door this morning to get on the bus he stopped and looked at me, "dad, I hope I don't get in trouble today in school. I'm so excited to go to the cabin that I don't think I'm going to be able to pay attention in school today."

I just chuckled, messed his hair up and told him ditto for me at work today bud.

That is great... sounds like my 11 year old.... he has run out of hunting videos and such to watch on youtube!!....  deer camp is one of those things that grabs ahold of you.... hard to explain to folks who haven't experienced it... but is irreplaceable! 

I sit this weekend out, marking my second ever opener missed since I was 12.  It is hard to stomach, but the 6 year old boy who turns one more notch on the tree tomorrow to 7 has me staying back.  With the warm temps and his birthday, I have decided to wait for second weekend, but sure will miss the aura of "opening weekend."  It isn't what it used to be, but I sure get excited for it.

I wish you all success, whatever that may be in your books.  Please post pictures for those of us who have to live vicariously through others for a bit.

I only have to do 3 more years at home, and then hopefully, all future birthdays will be spent in the north country dreaming of the big guy stepping out.

Good luck!!!

I have to wait 8 days til I can hit the stand, well, I would have hit the stand, if it hadn’t gotten stolen that is :mad:

Went out yesterday to set my son’s ground blind up and put the pads on my 2 man stand (he just turned 14 so he can hunt by himself for the first time this fall) and lo and behold no stand. Sometime between the last time we were out there (late September) and now, someone took it and every last strap.

My bad I guess, it was on public, and I didnt have it locked to the tree. Now I’m just hoping that the ground blind is still there when I get back from outta town next Saturday night. Its on the other side of a 2 track and a couple hundred yards away so hopefully its still there when I take my son out next Sunday morning in the dark. The hardest thing was telling my son what happened when he asked how it went getting the stands ready. He could tell I was bummed. Its not even the money part, it was a cheaper one my wife had got me as a gift when my son started hunting with me when he was 10, its easily replaceable (I’ll probably pick up one after season is over and not even tell my wife about it, I’d probably get the “why wasnt it locked up?” line LOL). But, its disappointing all the same.

Good luck to everyone this weekend, I’ll be looking for those pics on here to get me thru til next weekend :D

The boy (Isaac) must be excited, I asked him to gather wood, he did, not peep.  Asked him to carry some pieces to the ladder stands he did, not a peep.  Never left us as we set up and even asked what he could do!  This is not like my Isaac.

Unfortunately,  I have an uncles funeral tomorrow morning, so my season will start Sunday.

Good luck and be safe guys.

10 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I got out of the truck at camp Friday night and inhaled a bug!

I coughed and said "now this really does feel more like the archery opener!"

I bow hunted Friday and Saturday instead of rifle hunting this year and was swarmed by mosquitoes all afternoon on Friday and Saturday while hunting near some low land with standing water.  Somehow it just more appropriate to be out with a bow instead of a rifle.