• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Ford Dam

MplsOutdoors

Had an awesome day fishing down at the Ford dam. Another angler actually saw that I had walked upstream pretty far and he decided to give me a ride back in his boat, had a great time and ended getting into some crappie and bass. Awesome that there are people out there willing to do that, very rarely I'm able to fish from a boat!

I've spent A LOT of time down there and made that same walk countless times.  Ankle breaker is about the best description you can apply to that walk.  I've actually never done real well that far down from shore.  The creek mouth has always been much better for me.

My best presentation has been a jig and minnow or jig and some sort of plastic swim bait.  White or gold have been the best colors.  The live minnows produced more fish but all the biggest fish have come on plastics.  In the spring I've also done real well on white bass, they'll hit anything white.  If you can hit them on the right day it can be constant action.

Nice of them to give you the ride back, I have never been so lucky although I have met a lot of cool fisherman down there.  In the spring there used to be a group of regulars that I'd get to know fairly well.  Haven't been done much since having kids but I've caught a ton of fish from that area with plenty of 25+ inch walleye and probably 10+ different species of fish.