Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eyeguy 54

Vintage Lures

17 posts in this topic

Ertner Denmark  on top and Shakespeare on bottom.  Anybody know what these might be worth?? Thx

lures.jpg

there are books and websites that discuss value of collectable fishing stuff.  Or look on hsolist and see if anything similar has sold recently...  You might need to sign up for an account to see the completed auctions. 

Just now, delcecchi said:

there are books and websites that discuss value of collectable fishing stuff.  Or look on E the Bay and see if anything similar has sold recently...  You might need to sign up for an account to see the completed auctions. 

I have a collection of old lures and didn't have a ton of luck finding good info for identification or value.  What I could find showed they mostly weren't as valuable as you'd think unless you get lucky and have something really rare.  The issue with lures seems to be that they were mostly mass produced making most lures fairly common.  The trick is finding those rare color combinations or lures that were available for a very short time or that were not mass produced.

This is what I did with all of my lures.  They came from my wifes grandfather so it was of more value to display them and keep the memory going than to sell them off.

Lures 1.jpg

eyeguy 54 likes this

my wife also got me a shadow box for mine, but it's deeper because I've got over 50 lures in there.  there are books to help value them out there I think.  I know I have one that's worth more than some would think.

Check out a guy on the F,M, board called Capt John . He posts on the Rainy Lake site most days . He is a big lure collector and talks about going to big conferences to  buy and sell

Nice display-Cool that you have them facing in different directions: one piece of original packaging is also a nice touch.

On 11/1/2016 at 8:03 AM, nofishfisherman said:

I have a collection of old lures and didn't have a ton of luck finding good info for identification or value.  What I could find showed they mostly weren't as valuable as you'd think unless you get lucky and have something really rare.  The issue with lures seems to be that they were mostly mass produced making most lures fairly common.  The trick is finding those rare color combinations or lures that were available for a very short time or that were not mass produced.

This is what I did with all of my lures.  They came from my wifes grandfather so it was of more value to display them and keep the memory going than to sell them off.

Lures 1.jpg

Nice!! I like it!  I have most of those too, in my displays....gotta love those River Runts! Ever run across the "snagless runt"? I have one in the original box, with matching #'s, from 1943.  How did you mount them on the backing? Mine are just displayed in an old tackle box, under glass....I need to do something like that. :)

First, ninety-nine percent of the old lures are worth very little. If they are mint condition and in the box more of course.

Check out some of the on-line auction sites and you will find only a few worth more than a couple bucks. I have mounted a bunch of them against a green felt background under glass.  Lures are carefully sewn on by my wife with fine nylon that does not show.

There are a couple of lure collectors organizations, sorry, cannot remember the names, and they probably have lists shared by members and they have shows now and again.

Your best bet is probably do what the rest of us do-find a way to display them and enjoy them that way. They are not likely to vault you up to the super-rich status.

My brother and I use Injured Minnows that are 75 years old and cost me around $20 each on the BIG auction place whose name I guess we don't say.

my shadow box has 3 shelf's and 4 rods so I can place on the shelf or I can hang want I want, it has two glass sliding doors so as to play, change or whatever, plus there is room on the top of it for for "treasures"!!

I've got some vintage lures.... I bought them new...  (rim shot) 

Also have a couple of pflueger supremes from before free spool was introduced. 

no pic's, but I'll give the dimensions to you.

24 inches tall by 20 inches wide by 6 inches deep

when I get a new phone someday maybe I'll learn how to post the pic's

On 11/26/2016 at 2:57 PM, RebelSS said:

Nice!! I like it!  I have most of those too, in my displays....gotta love those River Runts! Ever run across the "snagless runt"? I have one in the original box, with matching #'s, from 1943.  How did you mount them on the backing? Mine are just displayed in an old tackle box, under glass....I need to do something like that. :)

The backing in the shadow box is some sort of foam covered in a fabric so I used small nails and put them through they eyelets on the lure and pushed them into the foam backing.  If you look closely you may be able to see the nails. They blend in pretty well with the eyelets so they aren't distracting when you look at the lures. 

I haven't seen a snagless runt.  Most of what I have was handed down to me and saw a lot of action so its a mixed collection and not a lot of matching boxes.  I've only done some minor research on the lures but was told that I may have a few rarer colors in the mix.  Don't recall any more which ones were the possible rarer varieties.  

Thanks!  I have a few of these, the snagless runts. They have spring-steel prongs that make them ride over he weeds...the earlier ones have the prongs soldered together, with the painted on eyes. Haven't seen many in the last year on that big auction site.

snagless.jpg