• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crazy idea? Motion activated flood lights

Hawg

I wonder if a motion activated LED flood light would light up to a tip up flag going up? LRG, you've tried everything, think it would work? When you're out on a lake on a fairly quiet weeknight and you turn on your flood lights it seems every tourist with a portable thinks it an invitation to plop down right next to you. 

Edited by Hawg

My neighbor has one on her garage and a baby rabbit trips it. I kind if doubt it too, I have one in my garage not hooked up that I think I'll play around with. Be pretty cool if it worked.

There is certainly potential.  I'd say if you want to experiment with it, go for it!

A little simpler idea (and guaranteed to work) would be a magnetic switch.  One side on the flag, the other on the base.  Power could come from one of the smaller 3-5 amp hour Vexilar-type batteries.  If you really wanted to keep cost down you could get a cheap 1157-type LED replacement bulb and the appropriate socket, and put a colored housing around it.  If you don't care about cost, there's all sorts of LED strobes out there, but they are $$$$.    

31YGfsVq4YL._SX355_.jpg

13 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

There is certainly potential.  I'd say if you want to experiment with it, go for it!

A little simpler idea (and guaranteed to work) would be a magnetic switch.  One side on the flag, the other on the base.  Power could come from one of the smaller 3-5 amp hour Vexilar-type batteries.  If you really wanted to keep cost down you could get a cheap 1157-type LED replacement bulb and the appropriate socket, and put a colored housing around it.  If you don't care about cost, there's all sorts of LED strobes out there, but they are $$$$.    

31YGfsVq4YL._SX355_.jpg

This is a brilliant idea! It'd be tricky to attach it to the flag though... If you were some sort of mad scientist, you could set up break beam switch that the tip up flag sat between and when the flag was tripped, the beam would connect and the sensor would turn on a light or sound an alarm.  But whose got time for that nonsense ;-)

4 minutes ago, Hawg said:

I already have the Strike Light things that beep in the house when a flag pops but this time of year it's fun to try to think up new ideas and stuff.  

Haha...I know all about the *fun* of tinkering (see: lift bed project).   :)

3 minutes ago, Luttes said:

This is a brilliant idea! It'd be tricky to attach it to the flag though... If you were some sort of mad scientist, you could set up break beam switch that the tip up flag sat between and when the flag was tripped, the beam would connect and the sensor would turn on a light or sound an alarm.  But whose got time for that nonsense ;-)

The right type of glue, or even the 3m VHB tape would probably make a fairly permanent attachment.  

It's been years since I've used a non-heated tip up.  Ain't nobody got time for that.