• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer gain pulling ic

Boar

do you guys adjust ur trailer gain on the yur big IC,? if so school me please. and that little 12 volt battery that hooks up to the emergency wire, suppose to be charged right?.any deal with these things or do ya just get in and drive away. 

I set mine at parking lot speed, engage the trailer brake and adjust, up or down, until you can feel the brakes engaging enough to slow you down at bit, but not enough to lockup the tires.

I believe the small battery is part of the break-away system.

The systems I've seen have a built in charger.  With something like a camper or fish house that may only have seasonal usage, you'll want to charge the battery with a vexilar charger at the beginning of the season.  

For the brake setting, I just have them strong enough to feel. 

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

I always adjust so I can feel them pulling a bit when I brake. Some add on controllers are very touchy and can go from nothing to lock up with very little adjustment. Especially when pulling where there might be ice you want to make sure you don't have the gain set too high and in that case I try to go a little lighter. You just have to play around a little and set it for the conditions you are driving in as there is no one magical setting in my experience. 

As far as wiring, I got tired of having the traditional battery box that also served as a junction box for all of the wiring so now I wire my 7 wire cord into a junction box that neatly makes all the connections and keeps everything dry and then add a breakaway kit with a self contained battery, charger and tester that shows the condition and function on it. This setup IMO is way better than what you get from the OEM manufacturers.

download (2).png

download (3).png

download (1).png

On 10/27/2016 at 10:33 AM, Boar said:

do you guys adjust ur trailer gain on the yur big IC,? if so school me please. and that little 12 volt battery that hooks up to the emergency wire, suppose to be charged right?.any deal with these things or do ya just get in and drive away. 

The battery should charge while the plug is in. Yes it should be charged fully. 

I usually turn the gain up so you can just slightly feel the trailer braking before you feel the truck starting to brake.