• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Noodle rod under $50

Cooter

HT? I'd save my money. Lucky if it makes it thru one day of fishing. For under $50, I'd stick with the Frabill quick tips, or like Scott O. said, Some of Cabela's or Gander Mountain pro series rods are pretty decent. If you hunt around, you may be able to get a St. Croix in that price range. Just haven't seen much from them in noodle rods.

1 hour ago, Cooter said:

My buddy is going on 4 years with an 18" ht blue, hes caught a lot of fish on it.  Has a backup along for under $20 both

This is what I use too.  I'm pretty careless with this rod.  It lays in the bottom of the otter, sometimes in a bucket bouncing  across the lake behind the wheeler.  Running and gunning with me is no place for nice rods.

On 11/13/2016 at 8:27 AM, RebelSS said:

HT? I'd save my money. Lucky if it makes it thru one day of fishing. For under $50, I'd stick with the Frabill quick tips, or like Scott O. said, Some of Cabela's or Gander Mountain pro series rods are pretty decent. If you hunt around, you may be able to get a St. Croix in that price range. Just haven't seen much from them in noodle rods.

I've had some experience with gander mtn rods... terrible bought a bait casting rod last summer first day out with it about a foot of the rod tip snapped off no joke! I believe it was a advantage series. Also had a gander mtn ice rod that broke within a few outings same thing rod tip snapped. Not sure about other models but I the ones I've used I have not had good luck with. As far as a "good" ice rod I couldn't telll you always like trying diffrent brands and never found one that I really like all ice rods are relatively good just have to find what you like as far as price, brand,  style etc.

I've got a couple Gander ice rods, their highest end branded ones from about 5 years ago and they're still going strong and some of my favorites. I did however pick up a nice 13 fishing rod last year and the feel of that rod is much better. All depends on what you think your money should be spent on. The rod isn't going to catch you fish, unless of course you're matching the wrong kind of rod with the species you're targeting ie too heavy of an action for a light bite.

I just got my ice rods out and I completely forgot i bought a 28" Beaver Dam glass noodle last year....I love that rod especially for only $20...For me it's a toss up between that and the 13 fishing wicked series

On 11/14/2016 at 7:38 AM, Cooter said:

My buddy is going on 4 years with an 18" ht blue, hes caught a lot of fish on it.  Has a backup along for under $20 both

Yep. Nice to have them both rigged up. If the 2lb line breaks on one grab the other to fish. Once the fishing is slow tie a lure back on the other. I kinda hate to say it but the rod is so cheap and effective that it can be disposable if a guy wants, and your not out much money. I think in 4 years I had two of them break do to stuff that would've broke any rod. 

They have the wickeds for $20 for the combo right now at fleet farm..I picked up 3 of them they are usually $50 a piece...The reels are nice on the wicked combos....I heard the reel on the beaver dam isnt very good, so I'd go with just the rod....I got mine from Marine General for $16 on sale.

I'll second/third the Frabill Quicktip, Ive used mine for two seasons and it is really nice.  I wanted to add a second and got a 13 tickle stick at the end of last season for $35.  I like it a lot as well.

I bought a frabill bro noodle rod via hsolist but it showed up with a broken tip so havent had a chance to use it yet.  Ordered some jigs from jrs tackle and dropped another $30 for their noodle rod. Will be a bit before i get to fish with either, maybe longer than just waiting for them to ship as the ice is going downhill around here.