• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Double ugly

Jim Uran

I might argue it should be called "quintuple ugly..." That was a full frontal meltdown. I know nay-sayers will start bashing Bradford now, but Tom Brady would've had similar results...you can't throw downfield (or even mid level) with sub 2 seconds to act. Nobody can. I expect a much better effort next week, but the truth is that our shoddy O-line met a good Philly front and couldn't hold up at all. That must improve. Playoff time will mean more nasty front fours, and we need to score a few points to win games. Having the outstanding field position we had and turning that into basically no points is not acceptable. I fully expect Zim to get these boys whipped into shape by Monday. What a game for Cutler to come back... Skol!

Let's not forget ZIM has no offense in his mind, why we hired Norv who has shown very little creativity with our game plans then again do we have much for threats offensively ? Bet Norv wants to draft some offense which we did with Re-Treadwell. Where's he at ? Is he hurt ? Did he make the team ? Cmon, we were Minnesota due for a stinker. Gladly take 5-1 heading to Chicago, it could be worse and it's a new week, but we need to be 6-1 after stinky Chicago.

The Bradford apologists need to stop. Yes, the line play stunk, but Bradford also made some inexcusably bad decisions and missed some wide open throws that an NFL QB just has to make. 

It was too early to get excited after five games, so it's too early to panic after one loss, no matter how ugly. If they do anything less than dominate Chicago, though, it is a sign that this team is headed in the wrong direction.

Yes he made some ugly decisions but holy dump his timing was way off due to that crappy line. OTC you are right on the money, everyone knows how to demolish an outdated Turner playbook. He has finally realized Patterson does have a part of the offense and that holy poop, maybe we should have kept Wallace lol.  I have TOTAL faith in this head coach, I've never been able to say that as a Viking's fan.

Honestly I skipped this last weeks prediction because I had a gut feeling that they would lose, but there was no darn way I was going to type that out and jinx us, hahahahah! 

17 hours ago, thatoneguy said:

The Bradford apologists need to stop. Yes, the line play stunk, but Bradford also made some inexcusably bad decisions and missed some wide open throws that an NFL QB just has to make...

I think I am the only one who mentioned Bradford, so in the vacuum of this thread, at least, I will assume this was meant for me.

No doubt he made some errant throws Sunday, but he also had 3 to 4 guys in his face for 90% of the afternoon. It was his first sub-par performance since picking him up, so I can't imagine there have been too many "apologists" of late? Anyhow, my point was simply that o-line play that bad will lead to more QB performances like that...for any QB. It's not a coincidence. Given time, however, he's been effective, and I think that's hard to dispute.

How many times was his arm hit on his errant throws (including his INT)? Lots. The answer is lots. On his most egregious miss to Diggs, even Zimmer came to Bradford's defense...Diggs ran the wrong route. In pony league, if your guy runs the wrong route, you just throw to where he went instead... In the pros, that means you missed a timing route and it appears you lost your mind temporarily as the ball goes 10 yards away from where the receiver is.

All that said, I do agree that if we lay an egg Monday, it's perhaps time to get nervous, but I don't think that will happen. This team is too deep in other areas and too well coached for that, in my opinion. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I know, but if you take away that one uncharacteristic special teams flub on the TD return and get even two fields goals from our red zone disasters and we win this game 16-14. We didn't, so we didn't. Let's just hope this game serves as motivation.

Edited by pikestabber

Not directed at you, pike - sorry for that impression. It was more directed (for some unknown reason) at a lot of my Facebook friends, almost none of whom frequent this page. So that's my bad :)

Anyway, I stand by my point that the Vikings unlikely early success led to overhype of Bradford. After six games, the team is second to last in the league in yards per play. Some of that is o-line, some of that is (IMO) lack of creativity from the OC, but some of it is certainly because Bradford doesn't have the arm to stretch the field, and teams are already learning how to stifle MN's limited offensive menu.

Yes, Bradford had a couple of nice games. I'm thrilled about that. But if you look at the whole arc of his career, there is no reason to believe - especially given the Vikes' limited weapons on offense - that the good games are more likely to continue than the mediocre-to-awful games.

If this team wins, it will because of its defense and because Bradford doesn't turn the ball over. There just isn't any margin for error with such a pathetic offense.

I normally don't get defensive, or "butt-hurt" as the kids like to say (although I sure wish they'd stop :crazy:), so apologies for coming off that way. I think we're pretty much on the same page here--our defense is the reason for our success to date.I still have a touch higher hope for Sam's ceiling, perhaps, but I guess time will tell...

I think at his best, Bradford can make some "wow" throws like the one to Diggs against GB in the back of the end-zone...and find guys in stride like Thielen against the Texans...he can be efficient, move the chains, and limit mistakes. At his worst? Well, we've all seen plenty of that from his time with the Rams. I'd settle for "game manager with occasional good throw to keep a drive alive." I whole-heartedly agree that we need our D to be top notch (as it's been) and we can't turn the ball over. To get out of the first round, however, we will need to see some kind of a pulse from this offense. You can win with a great D if you have either a good running game or a serviceable passing game, but not without one or the other to help score a few points. Here's hoping we figure something out!

Vikes are in trouble. Both Philly and Chicago has shown everyone to just let there D pin their ears back and rush the OB. No big worry about the running game hurting them and when you have no time to pass you have no passing game. I was surprised to read that the Vikes have the second worst offense and yet they have five wins. getting another five might be pretty hard to do the way the tackles are playing like matadors and letting the defensive ends go on un  touched to the OB and running backs. With Turner gone I am not so much concern about his play calling as it is a coach who knows when to jump ship. Dang I was really hoping to watch some good football for a change to,

It may not happen this week, and then again it may, but very soon you will see an uptick in our offense. No, we're not going to keep up with the Atlantas, GBs, and NEs of the world, but with our defense not completely gassed from playing 45 minutes a game, we don't need to, either. We just need to move the ball more consistently, and I believe we will. The reason is simple--Shurmur's style of play is up tempo and predicated upon fast releases and dumping the ball off quick (screens, quick slants, etc.). In his two stints with Shurmur prior to this (Rams, Eagles), Bradford was OROTY and had his best statistical year ever (last year).

Is this a fix all for this year? Even I'm not that delusional, and I'm on a steady diet of purple 'aid... But it will be an improvement. When you have a porous o-line, you need to get the ball out quick. 5 and 7 step drops = exactly what we've been seeing, and that isn't working. The only viable solution is fast, fast, fast. This type of O only works if you have the right personnel group, and believe it or not, we do... Granted, we don't have a great deep threat or 2 or 3 like some teams...but what we do have are guys that make plays in space (Diggs, Patterson), a guy that can contest catches over the middle (Rudolph), and a pretty good possession receiver (Thielen).

An improved and up-tempo short passing game should be enough to be a tick above anemic, and this will allow this run game to go from walking dead to at least "almost average," and that will lead to our defense getting a breather here and there. More balanced TOP means our D can play at the level we saw in the first 5 wins versus the past 2 weeks of putridity.

Yes, you are all welcome to "what I'm smoking," some of "what I'm drinking," and a bit of "what I'm snorting." It's all made from 100% natural Purple Pride, Baby! ;)

Edited by pikestabber