• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did i get myself into...

This 2007 Ford F-150 came into the shop yesterday morning for a ticking noise from the engine. Turns out the passenger side exhaust manifold is severely rotted and has one broken stud. I have not tackled one on a 3 valve 5.4 so I do dome checking and it seams pretty straight forward. Unbolt the motor mounts, remove the starter, move the A/C compressor out of the way, jack up the motor, remove the old one, and install the new one............ Unless a stud is broken!

With the engine removed the broken stud could be removed and the new exhaust manifold installed. There is no room in between the manifold and the strut tower for a drill (straight or angle). The only option is to pull the engine.

Broken Stud

20161018_141649.jpg

Step one remove the intake plenum

20161018_141628.jpg

Engine on its way out20161019_085426.jpg

Broken stud removed

20161019_095943.jpg

New studs installed20161019_100911.jpg

New Manifold installed

20161019_101609.jpg

I suppose there was not even a little bit sticking out from the surface of the head! 

Removed plenty of them by putting a nut over the stud and tack welding it on when they had something sticking out of the head. That one looks nasty! I'm definitely not jealous!

1 hour ago, Macgyver55 said:

I suppose there was not even a little bit sticking out from the surface of the head! 

Removed plenty of them by putting a nut over the stud and tack welding it on when they had something sticking out of the head. That one looks nasty! I'm definitely not jealous!

It was about 1/16" inside the hole. The other one that broke left just enough to grab with a stud installer. A little heat and came right out.