• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Great Boot Debate

dj2quick35

Time to upgrade boots for ice fishing.  I have the mickey mouse military boots and they are great but heavy and if you dont have the right height socks the rubber on the boot will rub my leg raw.

So...looking at Baffin Selkrik or Muck Boots Arctic Sport.......

Let the debate start!

I have the Baffin's, only have a year of use with them. But I really like them, they are big like any pac boot, but super comfy. I really like that there are no laces to tie or keep tied.

The only thing that I have problems with is that it's tough to either tuck winter pants in or leave them overlapping on the outside. Not much room to tuck.......very hard to fit pants cuffs on the outside of the thick uppers on the boots.

Since you said for Ice Fishing. The warmest boots I have ever had are Lacrosse Ice Kings. I fish mostly from a sled or in a porty and my feet have never ever even felt like they were getting cold. I usually fish from sun up until sun down without leaving the ice.

I like them a lot.

Now if you are going to do a hike into the BWCA like Duff their not the best for long hikes. :2c:

If you're looking for a great boot on a budget, look into Kamik boots. Made in Canada for harsh conditions.  I picked up a pair a few years back for like $40-$50, I believe they're rated to -40f or -70f. but with a good pair of socks, they work really well.  I have pretty bad circulation in my feet and they will keep me warm on the ice or in the deer stand all day long. Remember, if your feet sweat a lot and you're walking a fair distance, you're probably better off with a pair for hiking in with and then switching socks and boots for the long sit. 

23 hours ago, dj2quick35 said:

Muck Boots are comfortable for long walks and keep your feet warm/dry?  Do you require multiple layers of socks?

Usually just one pair of socks, weight depends on the temp and what I will be doing.  Ice fishing, its one pair of heavy weight socks.  If i'm active its just a pair of medium weight socks.  It took me a little while to get used to them but now that I am I don't mind walking in them at all.  I've also never had wet feet in them.  I believe mine are the Arctic Pro's.

I now have Lacrosse Aeroheads (7mm) and before that used Lacrosse AlphLites for both ice fishing and snowmobiling. (Still have and use AlphaLites for snow stuff, but they are not 100% waterproof anymore after several years of use.) It might seem odd, but they are AWESOME! I do put new insoles in every pair of shoes/boots I get, and for the Aeros the Dr. Scholl "gellin' " type work very very well. Very comfy, very warm and totally waterproof.

I use them during the Brainerd ice contest, and anybody that goes to that knows that it can get cold and the perfect place to test out cold feet, just standing around. I just use one pair of the wooltimate style socks (I like Cabelas brand, thin yet warm.)

Plus it double duties as deer hunt boot, duck hunt boot, snowblowing boot, etc. :)  Key for me is finding a brand that has gussets for ease of getting into and also ease (and room for) of tucking pants into. 

I had military mickeys for years... and years but about 2 years ago I bought Baffin's. AWESOME boots. Sooooooo comfy, warm and decently light. I own Muck's and they are great for more "active" fishing as my feet get cold in them if I just sit one the ice all day. That said, you CAN walk all day in mucks. The comment about Baffin's being large and unable to get pants over...very true! But a great boot none the less.

Sorel Pac Boot.  My search ended on those 15 years ago.  I haven't battled cold feet ever since.  No need for special fabric or battery powered socks or toe warmers. 

I have to also mention, understand the body's thermal system.  Long ago, Modern Marvels did a show on it.  The short version is that you have to keep your core and vital organs warm.  Then your body will send surplus heat to your head, fingers, toes, and other regions you wish didn't sweat so much.  Big part of that is blocking the wind. 

5 hours ago, broman said:

LaCross Alpha Ice Kings with SmartWool socks.  Love mine.

Wool socks are a must, they insulate even if wet. Cotton socks in any warm boot will make your feet cold. The warmth of the boot while you are active make your feet sweat. I have the LaCross Iceman from a couple decades ago, still no need to go buy something different.

Edited by Grainbelt

I'm also in the market for a new pair of boots this year. I actually had a pair of Rocky boots that my wife bought me over 16 years ago but it is high time to replace them. I need a pair that lace up because of my prosthetic right foot so the Muck boot types are out for me. I think I will just get a pair of LaCrosse Ice Kings. What amount of Thinsulate is needed in a warm winter boot? I found a pair of Ice Kings on Amazon that says it is only 400 g. of Thinsulate but it is rated for -70. That doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't it be much more Thinsulate?

https://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Ice-King-10-Brown/dp/B0047BWZHO/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&srs=2600960011&ie=UTF8&qid=1480899050&sr=8-1&keywords=lacrosse%2Bice%2Bking%2Bboots&th=1&psc=1

I have Ice Kings.  They are in a word, awesome.  They are about 20-25 years old. Dang I hate dating myself but I have never even bought new liners for these boots.  They are probably one of the finest products I won.  I have never had so much as a chill i my feet.  I usually fish outside but if I am in a flip over, my feet are usually on the ice.  Again, never a chill.  I typically wear a midnight smart wool sock.

For some reason I have been considering new boots.  I guess it is the weight, I would love to have something that is not s heavy and also has better traction.

Today I visited Joe's Sporting Goods and saw some really nice boots (they have a great selection) by Muck, Lacrosse, Sorel, Baffin and some other Canadian made boot that looked very nice. I checked out the ice Kings........they are not the same boot as I have, they don't seem to have the quality to me.  They might be as warm but the rubber feels more stiff almost like it would crack, the uppers are solid leather, mine are leather and corder combo.  The liner also seemed thinner.

After looking at all the boots, I am surprised none offer water proof uppers. Also I am not entirely certain why some seem extend up to your knee with insulation.  Just seems like Over kill because most who would where these boots owed also have some sort of insulated pant on.  Overall I found the boots to be pretty heavy, I was surprised with 20 years past boots have not advanced more.