• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drone buzzing my son while duck hunting today

My son came home from duck hunting this evening, a bit up set, he was hunting on the wildlife management area near us and had a drone buzz him multiple times.  Scared away at least one flock of ducks.  Questions:  Does anyone know if the Minnesota DNR is using drones to scope out hunters?  Sure seems like harassment no matter who is doing it.  No good way for him to get out of the swamp and try to track down who was operating it.  Calling the DNR next to at least report the incident.  He has a video of the drone, but it is tough to make much out for details.  Pretty frustrating for a college kid going out with the dog and having to deal with hunter harassment or big brother. 

Of course the next stupid questions are what is the limit on drones and what is the best shot?

33 minutes ago, bwana_d said:

My son came home from duck hunting this evening, a bit up set, he was hunting on the wildlife management area near us and had a drone buzz him multiple times.  Scared away at least one flock of ducks.  Questions:  Does anyone know if the Minnesota DNR is using drones to scope out hunters?  Sure seems like harassment no matter who is doing it.  No good way for him to get out of the swamp and try to track down who was operating it.  Calling the DNR next to at least report the incident.  He has a video of the drone, but it is tough to make much out for details.  Pretty frustrating for a college kid going out with the dog and having to deal with hunter harassment or big brother.

Of course the next stupid questions are what is the limit on drones and what is the best shot?

Yes harassment no matter who is doing it!  Good that he has some proof.  If not the DNR may be they can stake out the spot and see who is doing it if they come back! :mad:

I dont know that I would go that far as to shooting it down but I would definitely be on the phone to the game warden for harassment if it was costing me birds.

Actually if the thing is chasing or causing distress to birds or any wildlife I wouldn't think you would be in the wrong for shooting it. Similar to dogs chasing deer etc?

Serious doubts the DNR is using drones in a waterfowl area during the open season. 

I'd like to shoot it down, but you're probably setting yourself up for legal trouble.  I'd call it in to the DNR or the local sheriff's office.  Annoying sure, but let's not forget were just talking about some missed chances at shooting a duck.

Edited by bobbymalone

What's the radius from the remote on these things would maybe think the guy was medium close. If I'm on private ground and knowing it's in my air space it's getting every round I have loaded up. Same sorta reasons my dad hasn't hunted in 15 years, it became more stressful then any enjoyment he was getting from going out. Too many clowns too many times. I feel bad for your son, some of us can only make it out a handful of times a season and to have those few runs ruined by the idiots simply sucks. 

The update - so far.

Left message with the CO last night, he has not called back yet.

Started eating at me around 11:00 AM today, called the DNR Main Office - they said they do not use drones at all. But gave me the head of the wildlife area, left a message for him, he called back in 5 minutes.

This is where it gets a little interesting, he asked for details, I shared the spot and then he stated he was sorry it happened, it may have been a contractor working for Anoka County doing ditch surveys.  Sounded like they had been communicating for a little over a week about the survey/inspection work that needed to be done.  As I shared more details, specifically a truck my son saw that may have been involved and the fact that it was on the wildlife management roads caused him to sounded even more disappointed.  Sounds like the contractor had not received permission yet, he even mentioned the contractor had sent him an email this morning stating he would wait until after waterfowl season.

I asked the head of the wildlife management area to confirm if it was indeed the contractor or not. It will change the next steps with the CO.

I very much respect the head of the wildlife management area, sounded like he was trying to avoid this type of encounter from happening.

I am debating on calling the county and suggesting that they generate some guidelines for employees or contractors doing work that involves the use of drones - e.g. avoid hunting seasons, avoid prime times, etc.  I get the use of drones for making work easier, but they need to put some thought in to it.

Still need to confirm if it was Anoka County or not, but that seems petty likely at this point.

Surprise!  Someone taking liberties with a new toy and causing a problem?

If it was the contractor I wonder if he'd report hIs drone getting shot down - if that's what one chose to do.

Interesting story.  Please keep us updated .

48 minutes ago, Neighbor_guy said:

If it's a contractor it's easy to track. They are now required to have an FAA license to operate a drone for commercial purposes and report a flight/use plan monthly. 

And the penalty for shooting one down is the same as for any other aircraft.

Edited by Pigmeat
Add word

Here's a use that makes sense - with sensible timing.

IMG_1152.JPG

Pig meat, is it an offense to shoot ANY drone down or just the FAA licensed drones?  And how could one tell the difference?

Obviuosly I'm not a huge fan of them due to the ways people WILL abuse the use of them.  Harassment, invasion of privacy, and working the fringes of legal or ethical game scouting and harvesting are things that come to my mind.

One of my new neighbors told me about the day his SIL had his new drone over and flew it around our houses.  He buzzed in on the other neighbors sitting on their deck and then tried to survey our house.  We had too many trees to get good video though, I was told.  We have skylights in our house and one is over our shower which is an open brick design.

Even though we're on great relationship terms, I warned him that his SIL might get a video of a load of bird shot headed at his camera if he buzzes our house again.

Abuse of these things was a foregone conclusion. This situation is being handled in a reasonable manner and perhaps the wildlife people and the contractor have learned something. I think this is going to turn out alright but I share the young man's dismay at the disruption of his hunt.

In the future, if it were me, and someone started doing this I would fire a couple shots up in the general direction of the marauding beast as a warning. If it were continued I would be sorely tempted to turn it into falling junk.

Oh-probably just a load of Bismuth 4's would be my load of choice. And full choke.

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Pig meat, is it an offense to shoot ANY drone down or just the FAA licensed drones?

I think the law is somewhat murky on shooting down personal drones, even over your own house.

It's fun to talk a big game of how you're going to shoot these things down, but I think you could end up with destruction of property issues at the minimum and federal charges at the maximum.  Like I said earlier, we're talking about having your hunt screwed up, AKA not the end of the world.  Is it really worth the potential consequences?   Let law enforcement deal with it.  

Edited by bobbymalone

19 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I think the law is somewhat murky on shooting down personal drones, even over your own house.

It's fun to talk a big game of how you're going to shoot these things down, but I think you could end up with destruction of property issues at the minimum and federal charges at the maximum.  Like I said earlier, we're talking about having your hunt screwed up, AKA not the end of the world.  Is it really worth the potential consequences?   Let law enforcement deal with it.  

+1

The update so far:

CO has not returned my call.

County says they do not use drones and that it would be the watershed dristrict.

Tracked down the watershed district and they say it was not them and they do not have any work like that planned.

No call back from the wildlife management area manager to confirm it was who he thouht it would have been.

This just seems odd now.

Guess I will call the supervising CO.