Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
rl_sd

Fuel pump or ???

So I have a 1998 GMC suburban with a 5.7 motor that I have been having intermittent issues with. In the morning, it starts up immediately after cranking it over. When I leave work though, it becomes harder to start.  If I hit the key and hold it, it won't fire. If I cycle the key on and off a few times, it pops off. It used to do it occasionally, but now,has been a daily occurrence. I changed the fuel pump 6k miles ago and plan on doing it again this weekend. I have changed the fuel relay with no change. I am definitely leaning towards fuel pump but wanted your thoughts before sticking a $265 pump into it. Jeremy or anyone else... what do you think?

13 hours ago, Macgyver55 said:

Have you replaced the fuel pressure regulator?

Haven't replaced the regulator, but I checked fuel pressure and am running at 65psi at an idle. The problem is when I dump the pressure out of the hose into a jug, it kills the engine. I tried another friends suburban (same year) and it runs fine... So I am thinking that I have a volume issue. Still doesn't quite explain why I need to cycle the key when it is warm.

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

The switch seems to be operating correctly.

So it is cranking over each time you turn the key, but just not starting.  No dead spots when turned?

37 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

So it is cranking over each time you turn the key, but just not starting.  No dead spots when turned?

correct... it just cranks and cranks and cranks. If I stop, cycle the key from off to run to off to run, it will fire right up.

38 minutes ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

What brand of pump are you installing?

Was thinking AC Delco. Thought about getting a Delphi, but it seems as thought the Delphi products aren't quite what they use to be.... thoughts?

Also, If I go the AC Delco route, do you know whether I need to order a sock strainer or does it come with one? I am looking at the MU1748

Edited by rl_sd

That is one complete fuel pump module. Drop it in and your good to go.

If it is predictably acting up in the afternoon after work, have you tried checking the pressure pressure then?

23 minutes ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

That is one complete fuel pump module. Drop it in and your good to go.

If it is predictably acting up in the afternoon after work, have you tried checking the pressure pressure then?

Yup. It is weird, when the air temp is warm and it is acting up, the pressure jumps around a little. This is all on the schader valve before the regulator. It still seems like I have a volume issue, although it could be something in the fuel regulator. Think that I am going to start with the pump since they are somewhat notorious to having a short life. Can you think of any other diagnosis before I put the pump in?

I have never done one but am fairly mechanically sound. Any tips? I looked on you tube and got the info that I needed. Even saw a few videos where guys cut access holes in the cargo area versus dropping the pump, which is tempting since this is just a hunting and fishing vehicle. But I didn't want to chance something catastrophic, you know... like blowing up!

Drive it until it is empty. At about 7 pounds a gallon there is not sense in trying to muscle a 100+ pounds of fuel sloshing around.

Sometimes it is easier to unbolt the filler neck from the body (the part you put the gas pump in) and fish it and the rubber filler hose through the space between the body and the frame.

You will need these quick connect tools

Z-FKKwfo5oy.JPG

If you have the metal quick connect fuel lines at the pump. If they are the plastic ones you will not need them. They are made by OTC and available at any good parts store. This is the only one that will work with the plastic sending unit and metal lines without breaking the fittings off the moduel and then removing them from the lines.

take your time and drop the tank slowly. In addition to the fuel lines there are also EVAP lines that need to be disconnected. sometimes they can be hard to see and reach. Drop the tank a little and look around to see if anything else is following the tank as it lowers.

4 hours ago, Jeremy airjer W said:

Drive it until it is empty. At about 7 pounds a gallon there is not sense in trying to muscle a 100+ pounds of fuel sloshing around.

Sometimes it is easier to unbolt the filler neck from the body (the part you put the gas pump in) and fish it and the rubber filler hose through the space between the body and the frame.

You will need these quick connect tools

Z-FKKwfo5oy.JPG

If you have the metal quick connect fuel lines at the pump. If they are the plastic ones you will not need them. They are made by OTC and available at any good parts store. This is the only one that will work with the plastic sending unit and metal lines without breaking the fittings off the moduel and then removing them from the lines.

take your time and drop the tank slowly. In addition to the fuel lines there are also EVAP lines that need to be disconnected. sometimes they can be hard to see and reach. Drop the tank a little and look around to see if anything else is following the tank as it lowers.

Thanks Jeremy, I appreciate the input. I actually ordered the fitting disconnect tools when I ordered the pump today.  Do I need to drop the whole take or can I get by with dropping just the passenger side. I know that I need to disconnect the fill, vent and evap tubes either way, but saw it both ways on the net. What is your experience with the straps? Are they a PIA or do they come off pretty easy?

Here is the disconnect tool,I bought...

31XB0Q9pRWL._SX300_.jpg

Edited by rl_sd

you will need to drop the whole tank to get enough clearance to actually remove the pump.

The straps are a dump shoot.

I have those style of quick disconnects but have never tried them for this job.