Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Snowbound

6 x 10 Aluminum skid house build

31 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Snowbound said:

Floor is all welded up

IMG_0255.JPG

Looks good.

Are these going to be your runners? Not sure if your going to pull it with something but you may want to get it off the snow a bit higher or you may end up dragging a lot of snow and slush.

5544.jpg

PurpleFloyd likes this

I'll be covering the bottom of the floor and runners with UHMW.

I've put a lot of thought in the hitch which will also be lined with plastic and push the snow under the skid.

Plan is to have the whole house ride up on top of the snow

22 minutes ago, Snowbound said:

I'll be covering the bottom of the floor and runners with UHMW.

I've put a lot of thought in the hitch which will also be lined with plastic and push the snow under the skid.

Plan is to have the whole house ride up on top of the snow

Hopefully with good sealing hole covers or you may end up with a house full of snow by the time you get there. :(

Not trying to be a Na-sayer, I've dragged my share of houses and portys across lakes. I love watching stuff get built and see how it's turns out. Keep posting the build. :)

Getting the plastic on. 

I'll cover the runners too but need to get some flat head screws for that

IMG_0269.JPG

12 minutes ago, Snowbound said:

Getting the walls up 

IMG_0296.JPG

Looking good. 

IMG_0296.thumb.JPG.2368961de87931be2b2e95d86d028102.JPG

Yep looking good!  Keep it up... Hopefully you can get it on hard water in about 7 weeks... :) 

Nice work It's getting there. Ice is coming better keep it going. :)

IMG_0342.thumb.JPG.6db0c5355657dcf1661c88636fbf60da.JPG

I am following this closely since I am thinking about building one this spring. I am curious as to the dimensions and thickness that you are using. I am planning on using it for early ice and them using the wheelhouse on driveable ice, so I won't be pulling mine through much snow. Thoughts on weight and cost?

These last two years have made me really miss my small house, I liked being out early.

Little more progress 

IMG_0379.JPG

On 11/30/2016 at 0:40 PM, rl_sd said:

I am following this closely since I am thinking about building one this spring. I am curious as to the dimensions and thickness that you are using. I am planning on using it for early ice and them using the wheelhouse on driveable ice, so I won't be pulling mine through much snow. Thoughts on weight and cost?

I'm guessing under 700lb. 

Price should be equivalent to a Alumalite or Ridgeline but built my way 

PurpleFloyd and elkrivermn like this

Very nice, mine should be skinned early next week.  I will start a thread when it's done.

Do you have any information on your roof interested in how u did it

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Snowbound said:

Hitch is made

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

I think you will be glad you put that snow shield on the bottom. You may think about putting a few more cross braces up the hitch to the top. That thing will bend like a pretzel if you have to pullout at an angle and have heavy snow or slush. :eek:  You mite also put a little drop step on the hitch end so it lines up and sits more level with the wheeler or truck ball. Just some thoughts.

Edited by leech~~
Snowbound likes this

9 hours ago, randerson said:

Do you have any information on your roof interested in how u did it

What would you like to know?

In a picture I posted Nov 24 you can see the rafters. 

They're spaced every 20" 

Just welded two pieces of tubing in a slight V. 

Have about a 4" rise in the middle.

The sheeting was done in two pieces. One was 10' x about 30". 

Bent it so it overlapped the wall sheeting by an inch. 

The second sheet was 10' x 4' and was bent the same to overlap the opposite wall and also bent to lay over the peak and overlapping the first sheet. 

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I think you will be glad you put that snow shield on the bottom. You may think about putting a few more cross braces up the hitch to the top. That thing will bend like a pretzel if you have to pullout at an angle and have heavy snow or slush. :eek:  You mite also put a little drop step on the hitch end so it lines up and sits more level with the wheeler or truck ball. Just some thoughts.

All good points I've considered. 

When I built the hitch I didn't have my tracked ATV around so expected I may have to reengineer the pointed end. 

When in sharp turns the tracks can hit the tubing. 

It is working good enough for this winter but will make some adjustments for next.