• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile brakes

AlwaysFishing23

Getting the sleds ready and got my 96 Polaris XLT touring running and the track will not move I looked in the brake fluid reservoir and the little plug at the bottom was out and floating in the master cylinder on the handle bars so I contacted my local snowmobile shop and they said that's me issue so I need to to bleed the Brake system looking on line it looks pretty easy to do is it? Could this really be my issue air in the line locking up my. Brakes Anyone ever have this issue? Thanks.

Edited by Fishin machine

More then likely your master cylinder is stuck and froze up. Over time the plunger in the master cylinder or the brake cylinder gets gunked up as the fluid gets old and breaks down and freeze up the whole works. You may have to rebuild them. For now try taking a screw driver and slowly prying on the brake caliper on the disk to see if you can loosen it. Pry a little then pull the brake lever, then pry a little and repeat a few times to see if you can loose up the plungers.  If not it's rebuild time. :(

Edited by leech~~

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

More then likely your master cylinder is stuck and froze up. Over time the plunger in the master cylinder or the brake cylinder gets gunked up as the fluid gets old and breaks down and freeze up the whole works. You may have to rebuild them. For now try taking a screw driver and slowly prying on the brake caliper on the disk to see if you can loosen it. Pry a little then pull the brake lever, then pry a little and repeat a few times to see if you can loose up the plungers.  If not it's rebuild time. :(

That was my fear. Went out to the shed determined to get this thing going played around with the brakes and went to open the bleeder valve and could not get it open not even loosen it a little but with all this some how i moved something and went to turn the caliper by hand it moved more than its been so tried to turn the track and guess what i was able to get the track to turn decided to see if that was the issue fired her up 4 pulls later jacked it up on my jack stand gave her some gas and away she went problem solved!!!:D As the track was spinning i hit the brakes stopped right away my only question yet is there was a little rubber thingy floating in the brake fluid tank what is this from bought the sled last january and this was the first time opening it so I'm not sure if this has been like this or it happened over the summer all in all my issue is solved and I'm ready for snow!

24 minutes ago, Fishin machine said:

That was my fear. Went out to the shed determined to get this thing going played around with the brakes and went to open the bleeder valve and could not get it open not even loosen it a little but with all this some how i moved something and went to turn the caliper by hand it moved more than its been so tried to turn the track and guess what i was able to get the track to turn decided to see if that was the issue fired her up 4 pulls later jacked it up on my jack stand gave her some gas and away she went problem solved!!!:D As the track was spinning i hit the brakes stopped right away my only question yet is there was a little rubber thingy floating in the brake fluid tank what is this from bought the sled last january and this was the first time opening it so I'm not sure if this has been like this or it happened over the summer all in all my issue is solved and I'm ready for snow!

Inside most brake reservoirs is a little rubber bladder that is usually attached to top cover. That may have come off.  Can you post a picture of it?

Anything look like any of these from a rebuild kit?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by leech~~

32 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Inside most brake reservoirs is a little rubber bladder that is usually attached to top cover. That may have come off.  Can you post a picture of it?

Anything look like any of these from a rebuild kit?

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah i can post a pic tomorrow the only thing that looks familiar is the black cover piece.

10 hours ago, leech~~ said:

This little job? Sounds like it's no biggy?

thCA0SERWL.jpg

Yeah doesn't look exactly like that but I'm guessing that's where's it from but I tried to put it Back in the hole and every time I would squeeze the brake lever it would pop out but I don't think Is that big of deal.

Late to the party here, but on my old 88 indy 400 that i got long ago, brake was doing similar, I just kept "Forcing it" and it loosened up and just started working, and has been since about 2008! Good luck!