Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

rl_sd

Wheel house auto jigger

37 posts in this topic

I just got done buyin one Motorvator from fish house supply. Is there any others that I should look at before buying a few more?

clancyoutdoors carries it also ( slighter higher price) and they also carry another brand from Lindell.    But quite pricey and I no experience using either.    Just try Google search or online E store.

I saw the Lindell on Clancy, but it needs to be hard wired to 12v. These two were the only ones that I could find on the net

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:59 AM, rl_sd said:

.5I saw the Lindell on Clancy, but it needs to be hard wired to 12v. These two were the only ones that I could find on the net

Nothing really needs to be hard wired in a wheelhouse. As I fish both portable and wheelhouse I built several power connection sources to run all my electronics. I did some forward thinking when I built my wheel house and installed 6 ea. 12 Volt outlets. If you don't have 12v outlets here is link on a simple way to add some to your hole lights.

On the equipment side I use the 5.5 MM standard 12v connectors to my spade lug led-acid batteries and on the end of the Cig. Lighter plugs and the A/C to 12V DC adapter. Shown are my ShowDown, Led-Acid battery, A/C to 12V DC adapter, 5.5mm male/female plugs and 20' Cig lighter cable and Vexilar FishPhone remote rotator panner. No longer need AA, C and D batteries.

12V power (1000x842).jpg

Good video, but With spray foam it isn't quite that easy to add an outlet.... especially since we foamed against the pine. I picked up a motorvator from fish house supply. Looks simple yet functional, but is much bigger than what it appears in the pictures. I'll try having just one this year and see how it goes. I mostly want it for when we run the rattle reels at night. 

i gusse i just hook mine up to a vex battery, if i need to charge that i just plug in my vex charger to the 110. i dont see no need to hard wire and manipulate a system all.ready finished. fun stuff if ya like doing it. good.luck!

I need to look into one of these!  Has anyone seen a definitive change in catch rates with the auto-jigger?

i think i would only increase rates. out on a flutter spoon, draw them inif they dont take it then generally they'll hit the set lines.

Got the motorvator from fish house supply. Looks like a simple design with not many moving parts or circuit boards. Was much bigger then I thought it was going to be so I mounted it on a piece of 3/4" aluminum and bent it into a "J" so that I can hook it under my rear bunk storage 

I'm with Boar, the Lindell is simple and works great. Why complicate things? Besides that the Lindell Pro Staff is on here all the time helping people out-support those that support you.

Edited by Hawg
Boar likes this

Like I said, the Lindell's look really nice, but I needed something battery operated

I thought the Lindell's had to be hard wired?

Lindell Jigger runs on 12 VDC as does most fishing electronics. You can get a 12 VDC 5 ah lead acid battery for about $12 from Walmart or Fleet Farm, or use your Vex, Marcum, Aqua View etc. battery. The motorvator runs on 5 or 6 VDC. (voltage from 4 D batteries is 6) most likely 5 as that is common for most Servo and Motors. 12 VDC has a bit of advantage as they can be recharged just like the flasher battery, can be hard wired to your house supply or use one of the Cig lighter cords if you have the outlets wired. If you look back on this thread, you will see Boar simply plugs his into his Vex battery.

Boar likes this

Yupp! thats all ya need to do, who dosent have an extra vex batter, or bring their charger with to recharge. wheel house users that is.

papadarv likes this

I just too an ol vex charger, cut off the plug in end wired that tot he jigger the just clip the alligator clips to the battery, wahlla!

papadarv likes this

I noticed several people from MN have responded to this thread. Have MN fishing regs been changed to legalize auto jiggers? I always thought it was one of those strange rules that made little sense.

As long as they don't set the hook I think you are ok... Can someone else verify?

I asked because 6 years ago i was in a house on Mille Lac that had a similar device. It was wind up and turned a cam that jigged the lure. It was not in use when we were checked by a CO one afternoon. He informed us that anything that raises the lure besides a person could set the hook and was illegal to use.

My friend that owned the house checked with the DNR office in St Paul and was told that was the proper interpretation of the law and they cited court rulings to back it up.

In 6 years the law or the interpretation of it easily could have changed. I only brought it up because it seems like an odd regulation to me.

Hi and thanks to all who use our Lindell Products.  This comes up every year or so.  The Auto Jigger has a small magnet release that disconnects from the Auto Jigger when a fish bites the lure so it isn't setting the hook.  The magnet is just barely strong enough to hold the jig or lure.  Too big of a lure or minnow will also release the magnet.  It takes some trial and error to get the right combo.  So the bottom line is that because of the magnet release it does not set the hook.   And you can run it for days on a locator battery.  Only uses voltage on the upswing of the arm.  Gravity drops it back down.

Hawg likes this