Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

AlwaysFishing23

2013 Ford F-150? Junk truck?

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone my dad went out and bought a new truck last week with out consulting anyone it's a 2013 f-150 super crew with the 3.5l v6 with 40,000 miles it was definitely used for towing and hauling things very tough shap In the bed I'm not a ford guy but with a quick search online it looks like this model of truck was a bad model it this true? Ooh it was bought from rudolph automotive which I herd they buy trucks from Florida make them look nice and sell them for insane prices is this true? Thanks! Not looking for a ford vs Chevy thing just want some input.

Happy to hear your dad went out and bought a truck using his own best judgement. Forty thousand miles is not bad at all for that year truck. A truck from Florida can be just as nice as a truck from St.Paul if it has been cared for,  no matter how hard it has been worked.

If you are worried about your dad's choice of truck I'd talk with him about it.  And tell him what you've heard about the dealership he bought if from.

Oh...is he happy with the truck?

I own that same truck what are you interested in knowing about?  Mine has an issue with the radio cluster staying lit if I don't lock the truck with the key fob so the battery will be dead in the morning.  It's been 1-2 years since it has happened since now I lock the truck with the fob at all times, even in the garage.

I had a couple shocks go out right away under warranty, but other than that everything has been good.

I've got a 2013 ford but mine has the 5.0. I haven't had any issues other than the dead battery that Bart talked about but I only have 23k on mine. 

7 hours ago, Ufatz said:

Happy to hear your dad went out and bought a truck using his own best judgement. Forty thousand miles is not bad at all for that year truck. A truck from Florida can be just as nice as a truck from St.Paul if it has been cared for,  no matter how hard it has been worked.

If you are worried about your dad's choice of truck I'd talk with him about it.  And tell him what you've heard about the dealership he bought if from.

Oh...is he happy with the truck?

Yeah he seems to like we'll see how it tows the 24 foot travel trailer, boat and utility trailer. what is the max towing capacity for that model I've  looked online also but couldnt find a clear answer?

7 hours ago, BartmanMN said:

I own that same truck what are you interested in knowing about?  Mine has an issue with the radio cluster staying lit if I don't lock the truck with the key fob so the battery will be dead in the morning.  It's been 1-2 years since it has happened since now I lock the truck with the fob at all times, even in the garage.

I had a couple shocks go out right away under warranty, but other than that everything has been good.

I'll tell him about the battery thing thanks for making me aware wouldn't be a good deal to go out to the garage and find a dead battery.

The 3.5 V6 must be the ecoboost?  Guys I know with similar trucks like them pretty well. 

11 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

The 3.5 V6 must be the ecoboost?  Guys I know with similar trucks like them pretty well. 

Yes it is.

Is that Rudolph in Little Falls?

If so, they stand behind their vehicles and costumers pretty well.  They have a good reputation around here for my knowledge.  I haven't bought anything from them myself.  I don't think you need to worry about the dealership.

1 hour ago, ANYFISH2 said:

Is that Rudolph in Little Falls?

If so, they stand behind their vehicles and costumers pretty well.  They have a good reputation around here for my knowledge.  I haven't bought anything from them myself.  I don't think you need to worry about the dealership.

Yes it was that is the first good thing I've herd from them thanks for sharing!

The Towing capacity will be determined on the rear end in the truck 3.73 will have the highest tow rating (worst milage) in that truck but they also have 3.55 and 3.21or3.31 I believe which will get better day to day milage but less tow capacity 

Unless there are clear indications of a problem, there are very few issues with the Ecoboost F150's. There have been a few notable things such as condensation in the Intercooler as well as a timing chain issue. There was nothing particularly strange about the 2013's that I'm aware of.

I own a 2012 with the max tow package. I hauled my 35' camper from MN to Charleston, SC and back last summer. Camper weighs around 9500 when loaded for a trip and the truck didn't break a sweat. My tow rating is 11,100 lbs based on how my truck is equipped. 

My 14 Ecoboost was dumping fuel into the crankcase.  After as few as 400 miles on an oil change it had 4 to 6% fuel in the oil.  The oil level would rise on the stick immediately after a change.  The oil reeked of fuel.  The lab that tested the oil said the lubricating properties of the oil was extremely compromised.  The dealer replaced all the injectors and the high pressure fuel pump and it did not help.  There is a known issue with fuel dilution on direct injection engines but not to the point that mine had.  Ford bought it back and I now have a 5.0.