• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild 2016-17 Regular Season

bbfenatic

Over .500, make playoffs, win cup? Get use to the lineup, we are stuck with them for a couple of years for sure. If Stall can put up 40-45 points that will help with some depth. I'm not holding my breath for one of the younger guys to have a break out year but it "could" happen. BB is the big wildcard, could be a jolt of life to this team or we could be the team that bbfenatic thinks we are. Hard to tell after last year but anything could happen.

I see breakout years for Coyle, Granlund and Nino. Haula will progress. Coyle and Granlund will flourish on the wings. Continued inconsistency from Scandella. Make or break year from Dumba. He could either really "get it" or turn out to be a one-way defenseman that continues to be a defensive liability.

I hope for just steady play from Staal. I don't expect a return of the once 40 goal scorer, but I hope he gets 25. I don't think Koivu is going to have as good of a year this year as he did last year. Hope I am wrong on that, but he was solid the entire year.

Looking forward to seeing a #1 PP unit that doesn't have Pominville or Suter on it. Some the replay of the final preseason game and that is precisely what Boudreau did. Guess what, they scored a couple PP goals.

Dubnyk needs to be solid. Doesn't have to be Vezina caliber, just solid. Make the saves he should and some he shouldn't and we will be fine.

3rd in the Division, lose in the second round of the playoffs.

Bear, I expected the same thing that Ek would make the roster for those 9 games. The question I have is, will he be sent to Iowa or back to Europe? I would like to see him in Iowa building some chemistry with our other prospects. Certainly would help make Iowa a better team.

Bummer news about Carter. Sounds like his career is done. He is having shoulder surgery. Been playing through that injury all camp and it certainly wasn't helping his chances. He is a decent kid, good on the 4th line and penalty kill. I don't like seeing careers end because of injury.

Things are looking up a bit IMO...Pomminville moved to 4th line and Teemu to 2nd...only as strong as your weakest link and Pom is not worthy of a 2nd line NHL spot IMO...hope it helps out and Teemu can perform...and I like seeing these older guys getting weeded out...next is to get Stewart off that 3rd line IMO.

As far as Ek...word I hear is they want him to stay with IA if he does not make the big club thinking he needs to learn the North American game and going back to play in Sweden is a step back for him.

Ya Stewart has no business being anywhere other than the 4th line, surprised they didn't keep pommer with nino and haula but that could change in a hurry. I think we are having some salary issues right now and that is why Ek is in Iowa. An Ek Zucker Stewart 4th line is kind of interesting.

Edited by Bear55

After listening to Tom Reid and the pre-season games they sounded pretty ugly overall with Colorado having their way with us a few times, Listened last night, sounded pretty ugly on the radio, if early indications mean anything it could be ugly, a hot streak will come but how long will it last ? Don't have a lot of faith then again the league overall teams seem fairly equal in a way so many have some sort of a shot at it.

Ya I didn't catch the game but it doesn't look like we were too sharp. Nice to see Coyle pick one up, I expect a good year from him and Nino, hopefully a few others as well. New coach/system so I'm not going to worry about it until we get a bigger sample size.

For the most part the game was dreadful to watch. Very sloppy passing. Dumba looked like a newborn calf out there wobbling around aimlessly. Reilly wasn't very good either. Only mustered 2 shots in the first period. Bad.

They did have some moments. Had 3 breakaways, granted they didn't capitalize on any of them, but it shows they can get behind the D and catch some guys off guard. PP was bad. PK was good.

Doobs was OK. Didn't make any great saves and had a couple goals that I think he would want back. One he never saw, but still should be able to pick that puck up.

Great to see 6 goals by 6 diff players. Kings not very good at the moment and even worse without Quick in the net...the iron helped out Kemps a few times.  We don't look explosive on O or stellar on D but getting W's is all that counts.

Vanek was the most skilled player on the team last year by miles, he just plays a different style of hockey than the rest of the team and it wasn't a good fit, he can still put up a ton of points on the right line. If you could put a Parise like effort into vaneks skills you would have one of the top players in the world.

I like what I am seeing from Stall so far too, he really helps our depth down the middle and hopefully he can score a decent clip.

Going to be an interesting year. We have speed but no skill and no size. Our goaltending is shaky at best imo. I don't think Boudreau's system was the right answer and I also think they'll miss the playoffs. The last 2 nights haven't helped my outlook either.. We still can't seem to win on the road. 

Oh and Aundra Martin is no Jamie Hersh. 

Edited by 10,000 Casts

2 minutes ago, hoppe56307 said:

We just can not figure out 3 on 3 hockey, once the game went to OT on New Jersey I just turned it off cause I knew we would lose the game.

Agree!  Bottom-line is we don't have the "studs" or a "stud" to make 3 on 3 work.  With that few players on the ice it takes a player who can control the puck at will, go end to end, and then either snipe one in or slide it over to the open man who can then bury the puck...we have not one of that caliber of a player(s)....and have not had for years IMO.  You'd think we could accidentally win a few of these OT games but we're like 1-10 going back into last year.

Solid game last night. By far the best overall game this year. This team in the past maybe wouldn't take advantage of a bad situation with the other team (Bruins down their top 2 goalies), but last night they did it and Dubs was strong too when called upon.

I really like how we are getting production from all over the lineup. What is it now, goals by 17 different guys? I will take it!

Erickson-Ek is a bright spot too. He plays a steady game and will certainly make the decision to keep him with the big squad a tough one. Normally I don't like burning the first year right away on their ELC, but I think we should with him. He is getting enough playing time now where he is making a difference. Some guys who were in a similar spot like Dumba needed the extra ice time and games to develop more.

On Dumba, I have had a love hate relationship with his game since the very beginning. What I have noticed though is I think Stevens has certainly had a big influence on his even in this young season. He has been very physical at times which is something this team needs. Good to see. Now he needs to shore up the mental lapses a bit and he could be a real stud.

Very impressive and best overall game they have played in a couple years IMO...hopefully Dubs can stay on his game and stay healthy cuz it does not seem like they are really hitting on all cylinders yet...still early so it could go either way.....but a good start under BB so far.