• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions on hooking up wiring on Garmin 53DV Echo Map Combo

jmg

Question

My backordered Garmin just arrived and I have a question that is probably a Kindergarten level electrical question so please forgive my ignorance, as this is the first sonar/GPS combo I have had.  This one is replacing my old, but usually trusty, Eagle 480.  Anyway, the power cable has 4 wires coming out of it, red, black, brown and blue.  I know the red and black are for power connections, but what are the other 2 for?  If I do not have any other device with which to share info, do I just cover the ends with electrical tape and forget about them or do I need to do something else?  Don't want to wreck something before I get to use it.  Also, regarding power supply, do you think it will give good performance if I run it off a freshly charged 12 V 7 or 9ah battery or do I need to hook it up to my boat battery?  Usually, most trips are 6 hrs. or less.  I have a size 31 dual purpose for starting and troll. motor, but will I pick up too much interference for the locator from those 2 items?  As usual, any help, thoughts, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

You did not identify the model of your Garmin  sorta important when wiring. If your Garmin is a Striker, than the other two wires brown and blue are not used. Also note the date on the install instructions. The ones dated before March 2016 did not include the wiring information.

This site might have some answer.

http://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=56118

Sorry, I thought the model was listed on the title of my question.  Anyway, Garmin 53dv EchoMap.  This one has downview, but is chirpless.  Seems like nice unit, tough.  Just wondered about those 2 wires.  Thanks.

Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is.

My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.

If they are in a protected location, just wrapping with tape should be fine.   If they are out in the weather, then maybe the liquid stuff would be better.

The equivalent wires on my Lowrance units are just taped and I have had no problems.  One on the console and one on the bow.  Wires are under cover. 

Edited by delcecchi

Thanks.  For now, I'm planning on keeping things more movable or portable till I can figure out the most comfortable spot in my tiller boat. So the liquid tape sounds like the way to go.

Liquid tape if fine, Cut off any exposed wire before you tape. Exposed wire will tarnish and corrode rather quickly. After the liquid dries, fold about 1/2" wire over and tape the fold with good electrical tape. Tape each wire individually, than tape both wires to the wire bundle. If in the future you decide to add any nmea 0183 devices, just remove tape and cut the wire at the fold and strip the insulation to connect the signal wires.