• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie shroomer here.  Can't even hardly say that.  I've only been into morels before and too afraid/naive to try anything else.  This year I've seen many different varieties of shrooms in my "new to me" yard.  I have a lot of oaks with basswood and maple around.

Here are a few that look like they might be ok.  The squirrels like them anyway and have made it back for more.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I can't identify any of those for sure, and certainly wouldn't recommend eating any of them.  The first pic might be some older honey mushrooms, but it's pretty tough to tell.  I've got about 8 mushrooms that I can positively id.  Beyond that, it's just not worth being wrong.  There are still some fresh hen of the woods mushrooms around the metro if you get out into some oak woods.  You can find them around the base of big mature oaks and they are pretty easy to identify.  Found about 20 on Wednesday.  Many were a little old, but was able to take 4 nice ones home.  Here's a pic of one that I left behind.

image.jpeg

Yep.  I think most people fall into that "rookie" category with mushrooms.  There are 1000's of them.  I think it's best to just learn a handful of the safe/choice shrooms and just admire the rest from a distance.  I had the same guess as Caddis, the 1st pic might be old Honey mushrooms, but they could be old Jack o lanterns too.  In other words - I have no idea!  The 2nd pick looks like an old gem studded puffball.  And the 3rd one I have no idea.  Generally, you need more info to get close to identifying them.  Examples:  Pic of underside to detemine if gills or pores; pic of cut shroom to see if they bruise a color or if it's solid/hollow inside; where it was growing (on wood or on ground, what type of tree etc.; any significant smell etc.  Every little piece of info helps to ID.  And even with all the info, there's a ton that simply fall into the "I don't know - don't eat it" category.

Thanks for the input guys.

I did try to look up stuff on line but wasn't convinced of anything there either.

I've been told the first pic IS honey mushrooms by a person who harvests them.

The closest thing I found for the second pic was a false truffle.  I was hoping they might be the real deal since I'm seeing them just poking out of the ground around the oaks.  They are pretty solid.

The third one does have gills, I believe, and develops into a flat cap if it can get to like its third day before the squirrels chomp them down.

I saw another new one last night growing on an old oak stump but didn't take a pic.

I agree - I don't eat if I don't know...