• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ChatterBaits

RuddyDuck

I agree, the zman original chatter. I could be wrong on this but Strike King makes them now?  Not sure but they seem to be the same.  Try a Swimbait body for a trailer or something like a YUM Swim'n Dinger, these are also cheap and work well.   This may sound like a generic answer but any situation that you would use a spinnerbait is would be the same situation as using a chatter bait, in other words – anytime is a good time.

I've been using the Strike King Pure Poison version of the chatterbait mostly because like the line attachment better.  They use a oval split ring instead of a snap that is on the Zman version.  I usually use a swim bait or a grub, for a swim bait I started using a lake fork paddle tail but it got to be too expensive, so I switched to using a havoc grass pig.  I usually use braided line with mine to prevent bite offs from Pike.

I also use the zman original chatterbait. I am a chatterbait nut. Probably one of my favorite baits to throw. The strike king pure poisons are great too but swim a little lower in the water column than the zmans. My biggest fish the past few years have usually come on a chatterbait in the spring and fall. Early spring and late fall I will use mostly a chartreuse/white chatterbait with a white super fluke as a trailer. Very subtle action on the fluke, which I love in the colder water periods. Once the water starts warming up a bite I will switch to a lake fork tackle live magic shad. I'll throw mostly the zmans candy craw with a green pumpkin lake fork magic shad. I fish these over the top and through weeds in the spring and fall and rip them if they get caught in the weeds. They also work great around docks and skipping them under docks. A few weeks ago I wish fishing a dirty lake with a great dock bite and caught about 18-19lbs off of chatterbaits by fishing them around docks and skipping them under docks. 

Edited by bassfshin24

Lots of good info. I use the Z-man ones too mostly. I do wish they had better hooks. Had a good night with them tonight! I'm starting to like them cause you can use them like a jig also, yet fish them fast when needed.

I have a couple of the Project Z ones,which seem built better, but also cost more. They are 3/4oz, so I use them in a little deeper waters.

I make my own and prefer a football head - its hunts really well and has the most erratic action I have ever seen.   The one thing that gets me with store bought chatterbaits is the keepers that "peg" your trailer are useless.  I have a custom keeper built into mine and my trailer never moves which turns into more casts and no frustration fishing these type of baits.  If you have not tried the football head yet and like chatterbaits you should - it's made all the difference for me.

20161009_180540.jpg

CAM01110.jpg

Edited by bonebaby0

2 hours ago, RuddyDuck said:

So when do you prefer that black blades over silver? When the water cleared up this fall, the silver did seem too flashy on sunny days.

I like fishing chatterbaits deep on hard bottom as well as on grass lines and only fish the black nickel blades ... just have tons of confidence in it.  

@bonebaby0 Those look awesome! Do you make any other types of lures or are Chatterbaits your forte? Fishing with @bassfshin24 quite a few years ago is when I started throwing Chatterbaits after watching him catch fish on them in the right conditions. Thanks to that and him they have become a confidence bait of mine in the Spring, Fall and even summer!

4 hours ago, MN BassFisher said:

@bonebaby0 Those look awesome! Do you make any other types of lures or are Chatterbaits your forte? Fishing with @bassfshin24 quite a few years ago is when I started throwing Chatterbaits after watching him catch fish on them in the right conditions. Thanks to that and him they have become a confidence bait of mine in the Spring, Fall and even summer!

Thank you!  Yes, I make all kinds of Jigs, Drop Shot Weights, Tube Heads, Ned Heads, Shakey Heads, etc

Sent you PM

37 minutes ago, Juan Grande said:

I'd be interested in buying a couple chatterbaits.  How much?

$4.95 each .... Custom Built with choice of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 oz sizes, any head/skirt color, and nickel silver or black nickel blade.