• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall skid house build, all aluminum. Need input on runners

perchking

project is going fairly slow unfortunately, but I am picking up the odds and ends as I find them on sale.  I just purchased a couple month old Empire 15K vented heater for $75 but it is set up for natural gas.  Does anyone have a part number for the conversion kit?  The model number of the heater is DV-215-7SG, I did a couple of searches but I have to nail one down.  If I cant find one, I will call our local propane/furnace center for assistance later.   Also, those of you who have converted, are there any tips or tricks I need to be warned of?

my owner's manual for a DV-215-10SG does not show a conversion kit but it looks like you need

p8658 burner orifice and  r2890 pilot burner orifice.

lp an natural gas has the same part number for the gas valve.

just for reference the nat gas parts are p8650 burner and r2893 pilot

hope this helps 

Here are some updates and some changes that have been made, overall I am still behind schedule however as this is be built I am trying to put as much thought into it’s layout so if I want to make changes I can in the future.  The overall shack is 7.6 x 12, I ended up going with 4x6 runners to give me a little extra clearance as we get lots of snow.  I am putting in 3 windows (24x36), a single bench 2x7.5 feet in the back as well as a place for the kids to rest on the built in bunk.  The shack is a little higher that I wanted but needed the head room for the sleeping area for the kids.

The curved room trusses are all cut on a water jet and tied together with 1x1 tubing.  We had a few guys doing chin ups today, I have no doubt they will hold.  I also was questioning the 2 vs 3 runners, I am so happy I only went with 2, this floor is extremely strong and will only get stronger when I put the floor in.  This shack will be blacked out with .040 aluminum siding, spray foamed and ready to go within 2 weeks or so.  I will most only spray foam the inside this year, then think a little more as I fish from it of how I want to finish it off on the inside. 

So far, the weight of the shack is just over 500lbs which is where I wanted it.

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

Shell is complete, had trouble finding a door luckily a guy had a camper door on hsolist that will be re-skined with the black .040 exterior siding.  The aluminum siding was supposed to show up yesterday, but dint for what ever reason and will be delivered on Tuesday.  Installed the bracing for 5 holes, HDPE on the skis will be in tomorrow to be installed hopefully next week also.  As you can see I built a ladder for the top bunk, I am assuming once the kids stop using it as a playhouse that area will be converted into storage as this is just a day house.  Any input would be appreciated.

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

If your worried about plowing add a short center ski  to the front. I have a 6x12 v front  alumalite   with the center ski  . What snow I have been able  to find over the last to winters.   It seems to float fairly well . The center ski only extends about 2 feet under the front of the  house. I have had zero issues with the center ski freezing.   

535326_10209017210891823_5687566188132864465_n.jpg

Thanks Huntercj, I was torn if to add the 3rd ski but mostly from a stability standpoint, thanks for the input you have provided over the past few months it is helped in my decision making while building this shack.  I cant remember, did you have HDPE skis installed?  Pretty much everything I have on order should be here this week, then I need to rough in some 12V wiring then it's off to the spray foamers.  My goal for this year is to have it fishable, the interior finishing will take place in the near future.  I converted my empire 215 from NAT to LP over the weekend, not a bad job at all.  The cost was about $60, I was amazed how much bigger the holes are  using NAT gas.  I also returned my single pane windows for insulated glass, I will have 3 windows that are 36x24.

My skis have plastic on the bottom I would say that's a must .  I wish my skis were boxed   they would hold up better . I haven't found any stability issues so far with the center ski. The center ski definitely helps the front from plowing.

10610780_10209068374970893_635447988637432268_n.jpg

Edited by huntercj

1968, there are pros and cons where I live, one of the cons are I have very few choices as to where I can buy stuff like this. I actually had to buy a 4x8  sheet of hdpe from menards on special order. I think it was over 100$ when it was all said and done with the extra shipping.  

You could make the strips of HDPE a little wider the the skis to add more flotation.

You can also make a removable wide boot to fit over the rake of the skis. That will lift the front of the skis.

Mount from Gator to House.  That force can work for you or against you.  Of coarse an upward lift as you pull is what you want.   The tow bar, think of it as another rake.  Fill between the v bar with plastic.  

Well it's all sealed up, spray foam is scheduled for sat morning. Depending how it looks will determine how I finish off the inside. It's only a day house so I would prefer just to paint the spray foam, I've seen some done this way and they look pretty nice, time will tell. Once the foam is is completed, I will install the rubber coin flooring and 5 catch covers. It's 7.6x12 and is 8.5 feet high with a bunk for the kids. Weighed it today, it came in at 890lbs which is better than I thought.

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

Your  fishouse looks awesome. I would like to see some inside picture's   . This winter was the first time I had issues moving my fishouse. Before the melt we had 2 feet of powder snow.  I  ended up building a little trail groomer to pull behind my widetrak.  It worked great. Made moving my house easy and smoothed the bumps out some.

Resized_20161230_142420001_1485814748835.jpeg

Well the spray foamer didn't live up to his promises and canceled on me this weekend for unexplained reasons. The issue is, I don't have other choices close to me for foamers, regardless of the insulation, this house will fish this weekend. I will snap some pics this weekend on the ice. 

There's always Froth Pacs at Menards. No real savings but it's fairly easy and available. Don't compromise, foam is the only way to go. 

It always seems the success of skids is always determined by the height of skids. Some of you guys are sure building them low it seems to me anyway. Then you just plow.

Edited by Hawg

9 hours ago, Hawg said:

There's always Froth Pacs at Menards. No real savings but it's fairly easy and available. Don't compromise, foam is the only way to go. 

It always seems the success of skids is always determined by the height of skids. Some of you guys are sure building them low it seems to me anyway. Then you just plow.

6.25 for clearance for me.