• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Light on the Ice

Luttes

What does everyone use for light while ice fishing?  I use LED flashlight and headlamps, but I'm thinking about getting a gas (propane or white gas) lantern for being out on the ice or in my quickfish 3.  Thoughts?

Edited by Luttes

I've pretty much went in the opposite direction, used white gas lanterns for years, got tired of the broken mantles, broken globes and having to keep fuel handy.

It was nice having the extra heat at times, but it was just one more obstacle I had to avoid to prevent burning my other gear or the ice shanty.

So now I use both LED headlamps and lanterns.

For my quickfish 3 I  bought the Clam LED Hub Light last year. It's spendy for a light, but I thought it was awesome. Is completely out of the way, hooks up to your flasher batter and it was like sitting in broad daylight.  Mounts permanently to your hub if you'd like, or glue a magnet to it to make it removable. 

It's only good for in your hub though. Not very helpful for fishing outside or for picking up gear at the end of the day. And only used it for one season so I can't comment on how long it lasts.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I agree that a gas lantern, while nice and warm and toasty, might just be one other thing I'd have to worry about getting knocked over, broken, burning down the tent, etc.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a good LED lantern?  The option to take the light source out of the hub and out on the ice would be a plus.  Thanks again!

Edited by Luttes

Whatever you get just keep in mind that either you want it big enough not to fit down your hole (specially if you use 10").  Or that you can secure it somehow to your shack.  It's inevitable that eventually you're going to kick it or a fish will flop into it.  A regular lantern is heavy enough that it would probably just knock over but those LED lanterns are really light and it doesn't take much to send one across the floor and into a hole. 

I've always just used a headlight.  I got sick of wearing them after a while so I'd just wrap it around a bar in the ceiling and put the "flood light" setting on.  Simple, plenty of light, portable, out of the way, and you can use it while outside. 

2 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

Whatever you get just keep in mind that either you want it big enough not to fit down your hole (specially if you use 10").  Or that you can secure it somehow to your shack.  It's inevitable that eventually you're going to kick it or a fish will flop into it.  A regular lantern is heavy enough that it would probably just knock over but those LED lanterns are really light and it doesn't take much to send one across the floor and into a hole. 

I've always just used a headlight.  I got sick of wearing them after a while so I'd just wrap it around a bar in the ceiling and put the "flood light" setting on.  Simple, plenty of light, portable, out of the way, and you can use it while outside. 

Great advice! I hadn't thought about kicking it down a hole, but that is a very very good consideration!

I've tried A LOT of headlamps before I found one that I liked enough to not loose (headlamps are always like your right glove, always seem to get lost).  Little higher priced than entry level but it is perfect for ice fishing.  It's the Black Diamond Storm.  They just released a new version and it looks pretty sleek too.  Fully waterproof, rugged, big button so you can use it with your gloves on, multiple settings, this thing is awesome. 

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Storm-Head-Matte/dp/B00H3MXRHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474033563&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+headlamp

47 minutes ago, Luttes said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I agree that a gas lantern, while nice and warm and toasty, might just be one other thing I'd have to worry about getting knocked over, broken, burning down the tent, etc.  Does anyone have any recommendations on a good LED lantern?  The option to take the light source out of the hub and out on the ice would be a plus.  Thanks again!

Here's the one I use..if it gets busted, no big loss. Plus, variable light setting. Gives off a LOT of light!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/21156002?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227015578628&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40970030912&wl4=pla-78912894272&wl5=9019794&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21156002&wl13=&veh=sem

1 hour ago, YettiStyle said:

I've tried A LOT of headlamps before I found one that I liked enough to not loose (headlamps are always like your right glove, always seem to get lost).  Little higher priced than entry level but it is perfect for ice fishing.  It's the Black Diamond Storm.  They just released a new version and it looks pretty sleek too.  Fully waterproof, rugged, big button so you can use it with your gloves on, multiple settings, this thing is awesome. 

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Storm-Head-Matte/dp/B00H3MXRHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474033563&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+headlamp

I have the black diamond cosmo and like it a lot, I just don't particularly like having unidirectional light while out on the ice. Especially when fishing two rods or setting up/packing up.

57 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

That's a really good option! Looks like the rechargeable battery is expensive and doesn't get good reviews though... I'd hate running through 4 d cells every few weeks...

17 hours ago, rl_sd said:

How long do the batteries last?

They take 3 aaa each and batteries last, on high, close to 100 hours, maybe more... Wife used one as a nightlight in the bathroom at the cabin so 8 hours per day for at least 3 or 4 weeks.  I think that would add up to a whole season of ice fishing. 

They come with some velcro tape things for mounting.

Note that Costco is famous for having stuff and then not having it later.   Training folks to buy it when they see it. 

Edited by delcecchi

I use 4 different kinds. 24 led bright white with Velcro attached to ceiling poles about a foot from the corner in my Eskimo 949i, found them at Fleet Farm. Small 6 led flashlight Walmart sell 10 lights for $10, 12 led with fan also from Fleet Farm and a headlamp we use during set-up, take-down. All but the fan light use AAA batteries. The one that is lit has last winters batteries. As per Del's light, they last about 100+ hours. The Fan light I use the Led Acid 5hr also have a 20' cable I plug into my Arctic Cat Prowler which I configured with a Deep Cycle marine battery.

Light 2 (800x450).jpg

Also use the 24 led lights in my wheel house with Velcro attached over each hole in addition to the two built-in 42 led ceiling lights.

Light 3 (800x450).jpg

Found a box where all fit nicely

Light1 (800x450).jpg

The small flashlights came from Walmart. They usually have them each Fall 10 pack for $10. I stopped by yesterday but they have not yet arrived.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:34 PM, Naturboy said:

I made a sled for my pop up that pulls everything out on the ice then I put the shelter over the sled and the lights are on the sled. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is amazing!! I especially like the dovetails!! And the hand made flasher holder!! That has me seriously thinking... just what i need, another project before winter gets here.  Seriously, that's awesome!

On 9/16/2016 at 8:01 PM, papadarv said:

I use 4 different kinds. 24 led bright white with Velcro attached to ceiling poles about a foot from the corner in my Eskimo 949i, found them at Fleet Farm. Small 6 led flashlight Walmart sell 10 lights for $10, 12 led with fan also from Fleet Farm and a headlamp we use during set-up, take-down. All but the fan light use AAA batteries. The one that is lit has last winters batteries. As per Del's light, they last about 100+ hours. The Fan light I use the Led Acid 5hr also have a 20' cable I plug into my Arctic Cat Prowler which I configured with a Deep Cycle marine battery.

Light 2 (800x450).jpg

Also use the 24 led lights in my wheel house with Velcro attached over each hole in addition to the two built-in 42 led ceiling lights.

Light 3 (800x450).jpg

Found a box where all fit nicely

Light1 (800x450).jpg

The small flashlights came from Walmart. They usually have them each Fall 10 pack for $10. I stopped by yesterday but they have not yet arrived.

I use the same 24 LED work light (red ones) in my Eskimo pop up.  It has a decent magnet that holds to the top of the hub and provides a decent amount of light.  I do pair it with a head lamp though too.

Edited by Rberg

Here's what I ended up doing. I got a "waterproof" 12v 10w LED floodlight off amazon, 750 lumens.  added 10ft of 16/2 wire with some spade clips at the end so that I could hook it up to an old vexilar battery that still has some life in it. The light has a swivel gimbel type mount on it and I epoxied 2 strong magnets to it so that I could slap it up to the ceiling of my hub, but the connection seems a little weak so I might just velcro it up there.  I can wind/thread the wire around the tent poles and down to the battery that I'll probably drop in one of the side pockets of the tent.  The light is plenty bright in the daylight and I can only imagine it'll be blinding at night.  I'll post some pictures after I get out this weekend and give it a good test run.  All in all, I think it will meet all of my needs in an ice hub light!