Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

the nature boy

Looked out the window and lo and behold

11 posts in this topic

I bought a cabin in the woods north of Park Rapids this summer and just started putting out feeders. It's kind of a pain since I only go up there a couple times a month but it has been worth it. I looked out the window the other day when I was up there and there he was. Luckily, my camera was on the table right next to me. I do love these magnificent woodpeckers. 

woody11.jpg

woody22.jpg

DonBo and eyeguy 54 like this

Cool.   I've been putting out suet cakes to attract the pilleateds that allegedly are in the area.  No luck yet, although the feeders didn't get refilled whilst I was up north.   But I'm back and hopeful.

I have a suet feeder on the other side of the cabin but he didn't find that. I guess he just wanted a few seeds. 

Mine has been getting attacked nightly by raccoons! I have 3 of the fattest little buggers you ever seen. Maybe if they keep eating that fat they will stroke out :confused:

leech~~ likes this

Whatever you do, don't mix golden malrin fly bait with coke and put in a dish up in a tree.  It would be illegal to kill raccoons that way. 

ANYFISH2 likes this

Use a baited Bridger at tree base.  That'll work. If not, anything else goes.

We used that Golden Marin and coke at our hunting camp for skunks and a friend is a greens keeper at a big golf coarse here. It's amazing, they don't even take a step, they die immediately. I've been told cats,dogs, deer, and most big animals won't touch it but not sure if that's true or not though. 

I would put it up in a tree if I were to do something like that, just in case.  I also have heard dogs aren't interested, but I don't trust the dogs to do what they are supposed to do. 

I think it's way to nasty to use in town anyway. Besides I don't want to deal with a dead skunk on the ground if one comes along.