• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handheld gps and Lakemaster chip

Tom7227

Question

I was just talking to a friend who told me he has a Hummingbird sonar/gps unit on his boat and he just got the Lakemaster chip.  We got to wondering if he could use that chip in a handlheld GPS.  I did a quick check on one of the more popular stores and only saw boat mounted units for Hummingbird.  Does anyone have the answer?  I apologize for being a bit lazy.

Thanks for your  time.

Tom

2 answers to this question

LakeMaster sold out to Johnson Controls in 2011 who also bought/own Humminbird and Minn Kota along with a few others. In the fishing products they made everything propriety. 2011 was the last year the chip worked on a hand held GPS unit. To my knowledge Johnson Controls have not allowed outsiders access to their product compatibility. In other words, if you want to use the chip for example, you need to buy a Humminbird.

They do however either own or have a business relationship with Strategic Fishing Systems who sell a computer based LakeMaster software. They are by region/state and sell for about $150.00 for each region called Contour Elite. If you get a USB - GPS receiver you can use your computer as a GPS unit.