• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tv Antenna Recommendations

jbell1981

I picked up a cheap antenna a few months ago just to see what I would get. It's a 40 mile indoor antenna. I get CBS (4) well and can get Fox (9) intermittently and then some garbage channels. I would like to get Fox more consistently and also get  ABC (5) & NBC (11). 

According to some mapping websites most of the channels I could receive are 30-50 miles away depending on which site I use (I am just west of Buffalo). From what I have been reading I will have much better results with an outdoor antenna. I have seen 60-120 mile outdoor antenna priced from $20 to well over $100.

Does anyone have a recommendation with one that they have good luck with or any to stay away from?

I use this one from menards: antenna

I ended up buying a cheap signal booster from walmart for $20 also and it runs 5 different tv's in my house.

I know  geographically I am located in a different area but just for reference I get all of the PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and  few other random ones from both Sioux Falls and Sioux City Iowa. I am located about 10 miles SE of SF and have it mounted on the SE corner of my home partially obstructed from the North. Some days some channels work better than others but if I cant get one channel to work from SF I can get the other equivalent from SC.

33 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I ended up buying a cheap signal booster from walmart for $20 also and it runs 5 different tv's in my house.

I know  geographically I am located in a different area but just for reference I get all of the PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and  few other random ones from both Sioux Falls and Sioux City Iowa. I am located about 10 miles SE of SF and have it mounted on the SE corner of my home partially obstructed from the North. Some days some channels work better than others but if I cant get one channel to work from SF I can get the other equivalent from SC.

That is the same antenna I have and it work great. I get all the major channel, an I'm way out in the woods up north. The nice thing is it is small, so I mounted it on the side of my deck.

On 9/8/2016 at 8:27 AM, rundrave said:

Nice. I may give this one a shot.  I have an indoor flat one that requires a tin foil bunny ear to pick up Channel 11.  I still have the mount and wiring on my roof from my Directv dish, so this should be really plug and play.

15 minutes ago, BartmanMN said:

I still have the mount and wiring on my roof from my Directv dish, so this should be really plug and play.

Same thing I did. I took the U bolt that came with the antenna and tightened it down right to the directtv dish base and use the same cable into my home. signal booster is just before my splitter.

On 9/8/2016 at 8:27 AM, rundrave said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought this one this morning and seems to be working great!

On 2/17/2017 at 5:01 PM, BartmanMN said:

Finally got around to ordering the outdoor antenna rather than my indoor one plus the Foil addition.

The outside RCA antenna from Menards works phenomenally on the 3 tv's in my house.  Thanks all.  No more foil. :)

The best thing about this antenna is that it mounts directly on your existing Post from your Directv or Dish network dish, so you already have the Post and coax in place, which makes it virtually painless to install when going from Dish to antenna.

Edited by BartmanMN