• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer trade

snagfinder

Gotta wonder if mauer thinks its time to trade contracts with dozier. Dont think any player should make that much but even joe has to realize that brian is much better than him. But hey i guess joe is from mn so he should make more this year than dozier will over his 4 yr contract signed last year.

Mauer is a useless turd, barely better than a replacement-level player the past few years. It got me thinking, I wonder how he compares to the other highest-paid guys in MLB? So I checked. Out of the top 10 highest paid position players, only ONE GUY - Robinson Cano - is truly earning the money this year. Cano has an OPS of 889, provides power with 32 HR, and has an MVP-level WAR of 6.4. Miguel Cabrera is next best, with a very strong .945 OPS, 31 HR, and 4.2 WAR - though he doesn't add any value in the field, his bat makes him at least somewhat worthy of his huge salary.

Beyond that, you have several mediocre-to-solid players (Albert Pujols, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez), a few basically replacement-level guys (Justin Upton and Jason Werth - though Upton has had a better second half and has some upside based on youth), and two players who are total trainwrecks in Texeira and Ryan Howard, both of whom put up negative WARs (and Texeira's career is over).

The moral of the story is that MLB GMs really suck at overpaying and overextending contracts, especially for players who are CLEARLY on the back half of their career/skill set.

But we all know that they will ignore that lesson and keep on overpaying.  Sigh.

On 9/9/2016 at 5:56 PM, knoppers said:

mauers contract is the reason the twins are were they are at now, as we have no money to spend on top free agents.

Mauer's contract is not keeping them from signing anyone. Can you name any players that didn't sign because Twins couldn't afford to pay them?

I am not going to say Mauer has lived up to his contract on the field but I bet the Twins have earned their money back in revenue on just tickets, merch etc because Mauer was in a Twins uniform. I wish the ownership cared more about winning than making money but thats another rant. And besides the Twins have plenty of $ to spend, they just don't have the pitching. And the huge chunk they spent the last couple season have all been wasted by under performing pitchers. They spent almost $35 million this year alone on just Santana, Nolasco and Hughes. How is that working out?

Prior to this last win against Cleveland the Twins had lost 23 of their last 29 while being outscored by 78 runs. The pitching staff allowed 7.5 runs per game during that span. But sure is easy to point the finger at Mauer....cmon this whole entire team was a disaster this year.

Hang on Dozier a disaster 40+ bombs from the 2 bag top 7 in the league in jacks and rbi's, otherwise yes the pitchers have been poor. Mauer just hit his peak a bit younger then most but likely going into Class A so young maybe why a little. He is blocking the 1B we got guys that need to be playing there instead. 11 jacks, 49 ribbies at .269 is god awful on Sept. 14th with tons of at bats with never a clutch performance. He's wore out athletically.

lol BHG, hey going to give Joe a plug, his 11 homeruns are the most he has hit in his last 7 seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did Joe slide quietly out of this 2016 season or what ? What happened ? Shut him down well might as well send him home for next year as we'll have little chance again. Can't say it's Joe's bat speed as I looked and he and Dozier are identical. What will happen when the contract is up ? Will he likely fade off into the sunset to his hideout near where I live and play video games all day and bowl ? That's what he was doing a lot before he got married, his hideout is just a handful of miles away from my place. 

I know the reason I said the reason we cannot sign quality free agents is because of his huge contract. its because of our ownership not willing to pay out big bucks. mauer is eating up 23.2 million of the cap our owners are willing to pay, which is huge. how many players do you know of that make that kind of money, and perform LESS than average?

believe me, I would like to see the home town boy do great, but that's not happening, in fact I think he has been hurting the team as not being a clutch hitter he once was.

going into the season, they predicted he was going to have a great year because he was finally healthy. maybe the injurys finally caught up to him.

I wonder Joe's focus some also, always looks focused but when after the first 9 games of the year you have a 0% chance at the post-season if that's a factor at all ? Hasn't been for Dozier. Will this happen when he gets in that final contract year will he have a good year ? I think he slides off into the sunset but that will depend on his wife, kids and family. .261 as of today still 11/49. How many years away are we from seeing playoff baseball again ? Hopefully sooner then later. Now you read up and we don't have a good defensive catcher etc. in Sunday's star and trib. I'd ask him to go back there, this saving him for what ? Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps was it ? Front office has been a weakness also for a while now.