Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Dexter#1

Wheelhouse exterior wall question

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a wheelhouse. My question is has anyone used commercial steel studs (like you would use in a house or commercial business - see sample image below) to build their exterior walls? I see most guys using traditional wood 2x4's or going to the local steel yard and purchasing iron tubing. I would think a steel stud from say, Menards, Lowes or Home Depot would work. What do you guys think??

Thanks!

Steel-Studs_07.jpg

I looked at it, the problem is joining them together. The normal way to join them is self tapping screws or pop rivets. Neither are great in a vibration environment. Welding is out of the question because they are galvanized. 

Dexter#1 likes this

I gave it some consideration, but as mentioned the joining would be somewhat difficult, and I didn't like the fact that they are paper thin and would provide little strength.  I would have major concerns mounting a top bunk or upper cabinet.  I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there are challenges associated with it that I didn't want to deal with.  

Dexter#1 likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Sounds perfect, thinking your guys reviews will seal the deal for me once I can see one in person again, a hyfax kit will also be on my list as I plan on pulling it behind my sportsman 570. Thanks for the review also AAmerican, it's early to be thinking ice fishing but I'm sure there's people out there like us that are a little anxious!
    • The Chippewa flowage would be a great place to start. I will be honest. Walleye are not what I have ever chosen to Target when I fish up there but the flowage is a great fishery.    Nelson lake would be another choice.
    • I have had 3 of the otter pro xt's, a cabin, lodge and resort. I still have the resort and recently purchased the cabin. I have not had many different brand portables but have fished in other brands buddies have. They are the nicest portables I have personally owned and until I try something I like more I wouldn't change from them at all. The resort is heavy and not something I like dragging far by hand especially loaded with gear and much snow on the lakes. But it has tons of room and I have fished 4 people in it before, a little tight but doable. The cabin I purchased for more hand pulling and an extra for if I have people along. They are very warm and I have fished in them down to -30 deg F. A regular buddy heater keeps them plenty warm, if it isn't to cold or the house is banked well its easily t-shirt weather inside. The resort needs a big buddy heater for colder days sometimes due to the larger size but isn't terrible with a regular. Overall very happy with them all and have been very durable. Also no dripping of water from the ceiling. Highly recommend a set of hyfax for the bottom. I had over 1000 miles pulling my old lodge and they hyfax held up great but I always pulled on snow and not across asphalt much at all.   Changes I have made to them: - added a battery box and inside LEDs  - used stainless screws on the band that hods the fabric to the tub only because I don't like the look of the rusted screws.     If you think you'll be purchasing one I would recommend stopping at a Gander Mountain if you have one near by and getting a set of hyfax since they are going out of business there is a good amount of ice gear. I found hyfax recently there for $15 a set.
    • We are on Lake Edward at WildWoods RV resort just north of Merrifield, MN. It is nice just driving up, unlocking it, playing for the weekend and locker her back up and leaving the frig on.  They let Atheists and Jesus freaks all in!
    •   My wife and I are starting to think about parking ours someplace. I'm tired of trying to get reservations and having to hook and unhook and all that goes with a weekend of camping. Plus I would like to have the toys available like 4-wheeler and boat.   We are looking at places up north. We know several people and like the Emily-Outing-Remer-Hill City area. I think you a further west, right? Brainerd area maybe?  
    •   5 years at one campground until they went private and wanted 60-70g's per lot with one-just-like-silly-me-o-en fees which were about what we were paying yearly already on top of that!  12 years where we are now with way bigger lots.
    •   Too bad the previous owner didn't know what they were doing. Never, ever use silicone on a rubber camper roof. I learned that the hard way many years ago.....   At least you have a good reason to have to go to the camper this weekend    How long have you been doing the seasonal thing?
    • Thanks for the reply, sounds about like what I expected and I really like the square tubing on the otters compared to clams round cheaper setup. Anyone seen any changes to the new otter lineup for this year? 
    • Last weekend spent some time re-sealing a small seam leak on a trim edge. Found out the owner before us had a leak on the same trim edge spot and left out a screw!! Also washed down the canopy and the ever reoccurring black streaks around the roof edge.   This weekend may go back and clean out and reseal a few other areas the passed own made a mess of sealing with sillycone! Using Butyl rubber this time as silicone can be pulled right off after a few years.
  • Our Sponsors