Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Dexter#1

Wheelhouse exterior wall question

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a wheelhouse. My question is has anyone used commercial steel studs (like you would use in a house or commercial business - see sample image below) to build their exterior walls? I see most guys using traditional wood 2x4's or going to the local steel yard and purchasing iron tubing. I would think a steel stud from say, Menards, Lowes or Home Depot would work. What do you guys think??

Thanks!

Steel-Studs_07.jpg

I looked at it, the problem is joining them together. The normal way to join them is self tapping screws or pop rivets. Neither are great in a vibration environment. Welding is out of the question because they are galvanized. 

Dexter#1 likes this

I gave it some consideration, but as mentioned the joining would be somewhat difficult, and I didn't like the fact that they are paper thin and would provide little strength.  I would have major concerns mounting a top bunk or upper cabinet.  I'm not saying it can't be done, just that there are challenges associated with it that I didn't want to deal with.  

Dexter#1 likes this