• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley 2016

ANYFISH2

I guess I better put in for a couple days of PTO!  Went for the first season due to other scheduled events for October.

It'll be a new experience hunting camp and sleeping in my own bed. 

:cool:

I'll have to admit it took a little convincing to get the rest of the party to apply but we're looking at it as a rebuilding year.  I don't plan on spending all my time in the stand.  There's a lot of the camp I haven't seen yet.

Cool, not even sure I am going to get one but you never know. I'd love to see them totally restructure the hunt but it will probably never happen. Give people a week to hunt and lower the numbers, I'd rather hunt 1 full week with 500 hunters every 5 years than get in every year or every other year with 2500 hunters. Of course this is from a hunting perspective only so probably not ideal if you are running a military base.

I like that idea!

But I am sure the guard dosent want to shut down training for a whole week for hunters, probably major money loss.

But on a side note, the leaders of the base are the ones whom got the bag limits back to 1, with no bonus permits.  So they saw a issue and are going to bat to fix it.  I couldn't be happier.

Edited by ANYFISH2

I have hunted Ripley from the time I was 12 and that was 26 years ago my dad hunted in the first hunt at Ripley. I can say I saw plenty of deer last year. Not the 20+ a day but had 18 with killing range no big bucks but I took a doe. This year it will need a big rack for me to shoot. Best of luck.

Surplus permits go on sale tomorrow, the 16th.

257 permits available for the second hunt.

1,081 for the first! :crazy:. Wow!

Anyone who ever complained about being covered up in other hunters in the past shouldn't have an issue during the first hunt this year.  The old game plans can about go out the window.

I'd like to see them include the offer to buy surplus permits to those that DID apply.  It would give the die hards more time to play.

I do not understand why people think Ripley is a Dead Sea or woods.  Populations go up and down winter controls deer numbers more than hunters.    I like this new Ripley I have shot a deer the last 3  years there. The best part is not as many other hunters!! But the does not help get the deer moving.

On 9/19/2016 at 6:36 AM, monstermoose78 said:

I do not understand why people think Ripley is a Dead Sea or woods.  Populations go up and down winter controls deer numbers more than hunters.    I like this new Ripley I have shot a deer the last 3  years there. The best part is not as many other hunters!! But the does not help get the deer moving.

Maybe, but the total kill and the kill of big bucks had been declining significantly before the tough winters hit.  Look at the kill stats from the early 2000s on.  Massive increase in doe harvest when bonus tags were allowed.  That, combined with wolf predation and winter drove the herd down extremely low.  IMVHO, you can't keep whacking the heck out of does when you have other very significant mortality factors at play.

On a positive note, talking to one of the environmental staff this past June, he said they had been seeing more big bucks this year.  Hopefully one walks past me.:D

Good luck everyone!

Edited by SmellEsox

Thursdays results weren't much different.  

The deployed soldiers ended their hunt with harvesting 3 deer, a 3pt, and 2 does.

The DAV hunt ended with 2, a 4pt and doe.

There were a number deer seen Thursday morning, resulting in a couple missed and 2 killed.  The evening for all intents and purpose was slow, a lot of hunters blanked. I believe the weather played a big role in this year's hunt.

Next up is the youth hunters this weekend.  Hope they find success and fun.