• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diy Archery Target

Anyone ever make your own archery target?  Typically I do most of my shooting at a local range in a county park that is close to home but broadheads are not allowed on those targets.  Instead of spending $50+ on a target that I'm going to tear apart with broadheads I've been kicking around an idea for a DIY target that I can put together on the cheap.  I did some looking online and got an idea using interlocking foam floor tiles.  I have access to a bunch of free tiles at work so I thought I'd give it a go.  My plan is to cut the 24" tiles in half so that each tile makes a 12" x 24" tile.  I'll stack them up as high as I can, based on the tiles i currently have i think i can go 18" high without digging around the warehouse for more tiles.   Finished target will be 24" wide x 18" tall x 12" thick.

I'll put a piece of wood on the top and bottom of the stack and run 2 ratchet straps around the whole thing and tighten them down as much as possible in order to press the tiles tightly together. 

Once the middle of the target gets shot up I can open the ratchet straps and take out the bad tiles and replace them with some new ones giving the target a longer life span.  Then I just tighten the straps back down and start shooting again. 

I've also seen people use layers of carpet or cardboard but if left out in the elements those wouldn't last nearly as long. I've also seen people use the same tiles but just stack them up and shoot at the flat face of the tile versus the side.  That would probably work just as well to stop an arrow but you wouldn't be able to replace sections as it gets shot up.

I've got all of the material on hand already so my out of pocket costs will be $0.  I'll try to get a picture up when i get it done.

What else have you guys seen done or done yourself?  

Honestly more than trying to save some money I'm probably doing this more as an excuse to hang out in the garage, drink a few beers, and think about archery and bow hunting. 

Home made targets for broadheads don't last all that long, your best bet is to use practice blades and shoot them into a pile of sand, also great for field tips and it will last a very long time. Also stuffing old clothes into a cheap tarp is a great field head target you can whip up for cheap.