• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote control of electric jacks

vtx1029

Was thinking of coming up with a system to use my phone as a remote to control the 3 electric jacks on my fish house. Just wondering if anyone has done this? I've seen commercial units but I'm not interested in paying the huge markup they ask for.

Was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi with a relay bank to control them via wifi on my cell phone.

Quit feasible with rl_sd’s Bluetooth relay choice.

If your current jacks are switch activated at the jack or from a wall mount switch you will need to add another set of relays to the Bluetooth relays with enough current capability for the jacks. The high current relays replace the switches. If you already have a multi button remote control, I really don’t see and advantage to putting this on your phone.

If your jacks are 2 wire jacks than the high current relays need to be dual contact relays 2 per jack. If you can’t find dual relays than you will need 4 high current single contact relays for each jack. If you have 3 wire jacks, than 2 single contact high current relay will work just fine. The 8 relay Bluetooth rl_sd will work fine for the remote part. These relays are wired to pick the high current motor control relays. You will be using 6 of the 8 relays for 3 jacks. You could use the last two relays to run all 3 jacks at the same time, but will need to add diodes to the pick wires to prevent reverse voltage flow. The relay supplier will most likely let you know what app you need to run the relays. Your jacks need upper and lower limit switches.

Photo of my BiDi Eye Pan with a 2 wire motor. (Used to remote rotate my Velilar FishPhone camera with a 2 button remote.) Same principal only you have 3 motors to control hence more relays.

http://vid358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/darvbethke/BiDiEyePan A1sm.mp4

BiDi Wireing ID tabs.jpg

2 hours ago, YettiStyle said:

Just make sure your relays can handle the high amps probably associated with those jacks.

I'm going to run automotive Bosch relays rated for 40 amps should also take care of the fly back voltage. the jacks pull under 15 amps.