Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
rl_sd

Wiring

Where is everyone getting there wire from? When we built the house we never put a radio in.... On the first trip I realized we made a mistake. I am planning on running a 8 or 10 gauge wire from the backs to the front of the house and branching it off to a separate small fuse and terminal block and then running a 14 gauge up to the radio. Problem is that I can't seem to find any two wire that big. Where is everyone else getting there's from?

Cripes! What are you planning to run?! ;) 

I use almost exclusively 16 gauge for 12 volt.  The only time I deviate from that is for something like a furnace and then I'll go to 12.  No need for anything heavier....check out the wiring charts.  

I know what you are saying, but ended up running into an issue with line loss when I ran my front 12v outlets. I ended pulling the voltage down below 11.5 vdc and the inverter would kick out. If I am going to pull power to the front, I only want to do it once

here is the link to the post from last year where I explained the problem...

Edited by rl_sd

You can buy a spool for plenty cheap at any box store.  I bought all my jacketed 16 ga in bulk online for 90% or my wiring like lrg said above then bought a spool of 12G at the box store for my furnace and water pump then a spool of 10 ga for my jacks.   I bought a ton of extra 10 and 12 just because it was cheaper to have spare and never know when you need it again in a pinch.  100 foot will probably run you 30 bucks. I ran one color for pos and neg and just color coded the ends.  Nor building a stick house that needs to meet code or anything.

Saw you were looking for 10-2.  Not sure on that but also not sure its needed.  Is the wire hidden in your walls or will it be open?  I ran stranded wire in individual runs for my bigger stuff.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

10 gauge 2-wire stranded is what I am looking for. I have a diamond plated "base board" that I will hide it behind and then mount it into a 4 circuit fuse block.... just to clarify - this is 12vdc, not 120vac. I know that it is definitely not needed for the radio, but want to make sure that I have enough power up front for future stuff.

I thought that 14 gauge spanned over 20' would have handled the 3 amp draw of my inverter but it didn't.... Thus the reason I am planning on using 10 gauge.

Why does it have to be 2 wire?  You could easilly just pull two wire runs.  Shoot I think you can by 25 foot spools in either color for 10 bucks apiece.  Cant imagine it will get hurt in there.  If that worrier about it by the trailer wire jacket for 5 bucks and run it through there.

Other option is to lookup 10/2 duplex brake wire.  A lot of the auto parts stores sell it by the foot.

How long of a run are you doing with the 10/2?  If it's only say 10-14 feet you may be able to buy a set of jumper cables and then just cut off the ends and use that for your wiring?

1 hour ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Why does it have to be 2 wire?  You could easilly just pull two wire runs.  Shoot I think you can by 25 foot spools in either color for 10 bucks apiece.  Cant imagine it will get hurt in there.  If that worrier about it by the trailer wire jacket for 5 bucks and run it through there.

Other option is to lookup 10/2 duplex brake wire.  A lot of the auto parts stores sell it by the foot.

It "shouldn't" get hurt... I guess that the reason behind 2-wire was simplicity. I can always by singles and twist them together. The brake pair wire may work, I never thought of that. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, JP Z said:

How long of a run are you doing with the 10/2?  If it's only say 10-14 feet you may be able to buy a set of jumper cables and then just cut off the ends and use that for your wiring?

Going about 26'

Check out All Electronics page they have what you are looking for as a zip/speaker cable so that should cover you fine.

11 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Much easier to use a good battery operated radio/cd player than screw with 12 volt or deal with what you're thinking of doing.

Drop $100 on a nice bluetooth speaker and pair it up with your cell phone.  That's what I do on my boat and I end up with better sound than craptastic tinny marine speakers and I save a bunch of battery juice.

Check in the outdoor lighting area of Menards. I found some 14x2 direct burial wire in 100' lengths for a decent price when I was installing some 12vdc landscaping lights this summer. You can order spools of that stuff online as well.