Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Moon Lake Refuge

Cushion fabric

15 posts in this topic

What kind of material did those who made their own cushions use?  Is duck cloth good for cushions? 

Thanks!

I just went into Jo Ann Fabrics and asked their opinion, they gave me some suggestions and it all worked out very well. That way you can get color or pattern that fits too. Foam Factory is a good place for mattress if you haven't got it yet. 

Like Hawg said, Foam Factory is the place to go for your foam.  I went with the LUX-R first for my couch cushions/mattresses and the HD36-R for my bunks.  They are 3" topped with 1" of the super soft.  After a couple nights I noticed that the LUX-R was way too firm for my liking (unless the fish weren't biting and the bottle bass were jumping ha).  I just replaced my couch foam with the HD36-HQ and it is much better!  If I was to do it again I might even add another inch of the super soft.  There is a pretty noticeable difference between the density of the HD36-R and HD36-HQ.  It doesn't affect how firm it is but the HQ will last longer. 

I got really lucky and went to Hancock Fabric in town right before they closed and picked up $700 worth of fabric for $180 to do 2 couches (8'x28" and 7'x28"), their backrests, and 2 beds (80"x30").  It is almost like a mix between duck cloth and pleather - soft, heavy duty, water resistant.

Got a coupon for Joanns today and fabric for two couches and the two bunks came to about 130.  Had to special order it though when she laughed at me and said she cant remember the last time they have had 17+ yards of any camo pattern.  She said they usually sit on the shelf for a year.

Yea, they gave me a couple extra bucks off if I bought the entire roll so I got two 12 yard rolls.  Plus, I got 3 yards of this for my window blinds for $5 total haha.

s-l1000.jpg

26 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Had mine done at Clarkfield outdoors.... was cheaper than I could do my own, plus I didn't have to attempt to sew! I am really happy with the 4" foam that they use as well.

http://clarkfieldoutdoorsstore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=sm44jckec59a2v5k4pf0llaj43

Yeah I saw there's and from my numbers so far they look to be a little over double what my cost will be doing it myself for 7, especially because we will have different cushion sizes that aren't standard.

11 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Yeah I saw there's and from my numbers so far they look to be a little over double what my cost will be doing it myself for 7, especially because we will have different cushion sizes that aren't standard.

The foam factory would have charged $106  for my 30" x 72" bottom bunk and $127 for my 36" x 72" top bunk.  I think that I paid about $200 for everything with fabric. Don't let the standard sizes fool you, they will make it however you want.... just another option

Even with their standard sizes which are close I'm getting a cost of 525 for the 7 cushions I need.  Between foam factory and the fabric store I'm coming out at about 330-350.

Just realized I am doing 3 rather than 4 but that adds on about 60 bucks which still puts me about 100 under

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

5 hours ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

Even with their standard sizes which are close I'm getting a cost of 525 for the 7 cushions I need.  Between foam factory and the fabric store I'm coming out at about 330-350.

Just realized I am doing 3 rather than 4 but that adds on about 60 bucks which still puts me about 100 under

Maybe I am not looking in the right place for foam.... What quality of foam are you getting?

44 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Ya'll need to find an 80 year old lady to sew your cushions, and watch hsolist for fabric. :)

Found me a 33 year old who looks a whole lot better doing it than an 80 year old!:D

Lip_Ripper Guy likes this

17 hours ago, rl_sd said:

The foam factory would have charged $106  for my 30" x 72" bottom bunk and $127 for my 36" x 72" top bunk.  I think that I paid about $200 for everything with fabric. Don't let the standard sizes fool you, they will make it however you want.... just another option

I think your problems was having them cut your cushions?  They charge a lot more for the precut sections.  Best way to do it is get a full sheet of whatever foam you want and cut it yourself.  A full sheet (82"x76") of 3" HD36-HQ is $124 and a full sheet of the 1" super soft foam is $27, so you're at $151 total for more foam than you will need.  Cutting it is a breeze with your electric filet knife, cuts like butter. 

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/opencellfoam.html

3 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

I think your problems was having them cut your cushions?  They charge a lot more for the precut sections.  Best way to do it is get a full sheet of whatever foam you want and cut it yourself.  A full sheet (82"x76") of 3" HD36-HQ is $124 and a full sheet of the 1" super soft foam is $27, so you're at $151 total for more foam than you will need.  Cutting it is a breeze with your electric filet knife, cuts like butter. 

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/opencellfoam.html

yeah... you are exactly right. I didn't realize that you could buy in bulk. It would have been close to a wash for me, but with a larger house with more couches, bunks, and beds   I can see the savings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• BEFORE BEGINNING

Before you begin, make sure you have a good strong battery and make sure it's charged up. If you have a bad or weak battery, you may want to replace it because if it doesn't crank good and strong, you are likely to get a low, inaccurate reading. Make sure your engine is warmed up to operating temperature(if possible). About 10 minutes of riding should do.

First, take out the spark plug and thread in the adapter for the compression tester. Make sure you have the correct size adapter for your particular ATV. Slide your kill switch to the "off" position. Some ATVs won't crank over with the kill switch in the "off" position, so if yours is like this, then you will need to either unhook your ignition coil or ground the end of the spark plug wire to a good ground. You can use a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end to ground it. Next, make sure the throttle is in the wide open position. You can either hold the throttle lever with your thumb or you may be able to tape it or use a zip tie to fasten it to your handlebars to hold it in the wide open position. If you don't have the throttle in the wide open position, you will probably get too low of a reading. Also, if you are testing a newly rebuilt engine, the engine needs to have been run for, at least, 30 or 40 minutes or you will probably get too low of a reading.

NOTE: Before you begin with the actual test, make sure the threaded adapter is screwed in good and isn't leaking any air out around it.

ACTUAL TESTING

With the throttle in the wide open position, push the start button and crank the engine over until the hand on the gauge stops moving. Each time the engine turns over the hand should raise a little more until it reaches the maximum compression of the engine. When it stops, that is your compression reading. This usually takes no more than 10 seconds. Try to avoid cranking an engine for more than 10 seconds at a time as this is hard on the starter and the battery. Now, push the relief valve on your compression gauge and that will reset the hand back to zero. It's a good ideal to repeat the test a couple or three times to make sure you get an accurate reading. On kick start models, it will be the same procedure, but obviously you will be kicking it over instead of using a start button. Worn piston rings and cylinder walls will increase the number of strokes it takes to reach the maximum reading. If you're kicking, it could possibly take as many as 10-20 kicks to get the highest reading.

THE READING

You will need to check your repair manual for your particular model for the correct compression specifications. See note below. Usually, an engine will run OK if it has at least 100 PSI of compression. Most engines will have somewhere between 100-250 and some as high as 300 PSI, depending on the engine. Sometimes they will run with under 100 PSI, but usually not very well. If you get a low reading, you can do a "wet test" to try to help determine the problem.

If your reading is too high, then you probably have carbon built up on your piston and combustion chamber.

NOTE: You may get a low reading on some engines because some engines have a decompressor assembly built into the camshaft. Check the service manual for your quad to see whether or not your quad has a decompressor assembly built into the cam.

WET TEST

If you got a low reading, pour about 1-2 teaspoons of clean motor oil down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and do the compression test again. If your reading increases, then your rings or cylinder walls are probably worn. If your reading doesn't increase, then it's probably your valves. You could have a bent valve, you may have leaky valve seats, or your valve clearance may not be adjusted properly. Also, low compression can be caused by a blown head gasket.

CAUSES OF LOW COMPRESSION

*Worn piston rings or worn or damaged cylinder walls
      *Leaking valves
      *Valve clearance not properly set
      *Blown head gasket

CAUSE OF HIGH COMPRESSION (stock engines)

*Carbon buildup in combustion chamber and on piston

NOTE: Compression testing is a good way to keep track or "gauge" the wear in your engine. When you first get your ATV or when you rebuild the engine in your ATV, you can do a compression test and then later on, you can do them periodically. This will help you determine the wear in your engine each time you do a compression test and will guide you in knowing when your engine needs rebuilding.

This is about all I can think of. I hope I didn't leave anything out and I hope this helps everyone with their compression tests.
    • As dumb as this sounds how is this done?
    • Try a compression check. And make sure the choke is opening all the way.
    • They are not the best out their but for the price and your average person not too bad I guess, Its going to send lead to where its pointed. This is probably what is going to happen he is going to buy a package shoot it for awhile then start upgrading everything to how he wants it and it is going to end up costing way more than if he just built one himself how he wants it.  
    • Hello, well I convinced my brother in-law to pick up my buddies old 1980 185 although pretty sure he said it was bored out to a 200? Here is the deal it's been sitting for a solid 8 years. I know it ran fine before. Not the delema-----   It starts right up (he bought a new carb odd amazon) although it sounds like a jet with high rpms. Looked at the throttle cable that's fine. Floats are fine. So he plugged this hole in the air filter and got it to idle down although when he hit the gas wouldn't get any power. Read a few things online and they tell you to just bypass the filter box and all that so back to amazon we went to get one of those filters that mount right up to the carb and it's still the same issue..   I just haven't seen anything like this? Do you guys have any thoughts or tricks that we/he could try?! Thanks in advance
    • Hi Everyone,  I'm looking into buying my first true fish finder and I'm a little perplex with the mapping card situation.  I'm looking at Humminbird Helix 5's and 7's.  I'm drawn to the autochart feature.  From my understanding, you can record 8 hours of charting onto the internal storage, but, is there any native mapping included on the unit or do I absolutely have to get some sort of mapping chip, zerolines or lake master, or navionics?  Can I store data on a blank SD card?  I've been researching this a lot and haven't found any conclusive answers. Thanks everyone!
    • Saul Good, Man.....  LOL 
    •   When do the not so rare Highjack birds show up?  Oh ah. 
  • Our Sponsors