• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

50% off Scentblocker

MattL

Just a heads up that everything on Scentblocker's page is 50% off with promo code "wedo50".  They are trying to capitalize on Underarmor's unfortunate decision to cancel a sponsorship due to anti-hunting pressure. Their Facebook page says until Aug 31 or while supplies last. This is a good chance to get a great product at half price. 

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.  Great idea on their part to grab some market share and build some good will. Never going to be a better time to upgrade some of my gear.

Underarmor really screwed this one up.  A company should never bow to outside pressures that try to dictate sponsorships, product offerings, or target market. Before a company does anything they should have a well established corporate belief system and they shouldn't do anything that goes against those beliefs.  If what they are doing aligns with their corporate beliefs then they are wrong for letting an outside party undermine that decision.  If something didn't align with their corporate beliefs then they are wrong for ever having done it in the first place.  In this case if the sponsorship aligned with their beliefs then they shouldn't have let outside forces push them away from that.  You can't run a business always bowing to the whims of a vocal minority. Stick to what you believe in and let the chips fall where they may, often times you are rewarded for sticking to what you know and what you believe in and offering products that support that.  I think Scentblocker seems to understand that and will probably be rewarded for it.

1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.  Great idea on their part to grab some market share and build some good will. Never going to be a better time to upgrade some of my gear.

Underarmor really screwed this one up.  A company should never bow to outside pressures that try to dictate sponsorships, product offerings, or target market. Before a company does anything they should have a well established corporate belief system and they shouldn't do anything that goes against those beliefs.  If what they are doing aligns with their corporate beliefs then they are wrong for letting an outside party undermine that decision.  If something didn't align with their corporate beliefs then they are wrong for ever having done it in the first place.  In this case if the sponsorship aligned with their beliefs then they shouldn't have let outside forces push them away from that.  You can't run a business always bowing to the whims of a vocal minority. Stick to what you believe in and let the chips fall where they may, often times you are rewarded for sticking to what you know and what you believe in and offering products that support that.  I think Scentblocker seems to understand that and will probably be rewarded for it.

Well, I think they sell more to the yuppy joggers then hunters anyway. I have nothing Underarmor and never will now!

Very true Leech, they do try to cater to a much wider audience but in that problems like this can arise.  If you're going to market to hunters and you believe doing so adheres to your corporate beliefs and standards then you best be fully on board and not let the minority sway your business plan.

I just watched the video of the bear spear hunt and thought it was fine . Speared it and ran 60 yards died on its feet . I have never like that over priced Under Armour . I do own a few things of there's and feel you pay for there advertisement and endorsement more than the quality of clothes you get 

1 hour ago, sportfish said:

I just watched the video of the bear spear hunt and thought it was fine . Speared it and ran 60 yards died on its feet . I have never like that over priced Under Armour . I do own a few things of there's and feel you pay for there advertisement and endorsement more than the quality of clothes you get

Huum, wonder if they sell much in South America or Africa where people may spear their food a bit more often then we? :/

I'm all for personal bans of products for whatever reason you have. But I'm guessing that worldwide sales of UA hunting gear is such a micro amount of their sales, that they decided they would rather lose those sales than more substantial sales.

I was never one to buy their gear, they reminded me of Columbia, rapidly expanding their niche into every niche there was and the quality of their products declined as a result.

The same could be said of a lot of folks that have seemed to follow that business plan.......The North Face, Keen, Merrel, and even Arc'teryx.

Maximize profits....quality be darned.

Every time I see somebody laying out the price of that line of clothing it is all I can do to keep from busting out laughing. Man, you guys will fall for anything! Ha Ha Ha!

I have not and will not watch any video of somebody SPEARING a bear.  And especially if the spear guy is wearing some $50 T-shirts. Ha Ha Ha Ha!

5 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

If something didn't align with their corporate beliefs then they are wrong for ever having done it in the first place.  In this case if the sponsorship aligned with their beliefs then they shouldn't have let outside forces push them away from that.  

Their corporate belief is to make money.  Apparently some marketing guys in a boardroom decided dumping the sponsor equals more money in the long run.  

5 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

You can't run a business always bowing to the whims of a vocal minority.

Same could be said for the vocal minority that is butthurt over dumping the sponsor.

I predict somewhere close to a 0% decrease in sales of their hunting apparel as a result of any kind of boycott.  

I also suspect if you posted a thread in the bear hunting forum a month ago called "spearing bears: ethical?" you'd have a pretty wide range of opinions on the matter, not unlike if you posted ".223 headshots?" in the deer forum.  But now that some anti's are involved, the equation changes and everybody was a supporter of bear spearing since Day 1.  

Edited by bobbymalone

I'm also seeing that the hunt in question was legally conducted in Alberta, CA, however I failed to find any evidence that spearing is a legal method for taking big game.  There is a lengthy description of legal firearms and bowhunting rules though.  So I'm not sure what the deal is there, I think it's a deal where it isn't explicitly banned, therefore it's legal.  Doesn't sound like it's going to last that way for long.

Edited by bobbymalone

Well in June I listen to the podcast with the ceo/founder of UA on Colin Cowherd "The Herd" and he built the company from the ground up!! It was a great listen, also they just signed a huge deal with UCLA.  Its to bad but at the end of the day...they can lose the hunting and they are loosing their golf depatment  in a year or so and their margins will be just fine!

Anyways I'm a SITKA guy!!  BUY SITKA

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/15697609/ucla-bruins-announce-15-year-280-million-deal-armour

12 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Ouch, at $400 for a light weight rain jacket I don't think I'll be a SITKA guy any time soon.

Well 329!! Retail from the Sitka page... Check out mountain alps dot com. Lot of deals!

Okay, let's compare it to Scentlok, Under Armour, Kuiu, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx, scentblocker, or Cabela's Brand clothing!!? Their all expensive, what you pay for is what you get

Edited by rkhinrichs