• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Pup

Big Dave2

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

What breed? I don't see whiskers

WE decided to stick with Brittanies. We found a breeder and litter we are very excited about. Can't wait to bring the little guy home!

14 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

I say pick the chubby one!

One of the darker colored ones is the tri-colored male we picked out today but I'm not sure which one it is in that picture.

I am getting this one at Mazzepa Brittanies in Owatonna. My nephew got one from them around 5-6 years ago and their dog is one of the best behaved, calmest Brittanies I have seen and according to him is a hunting machine. They come from Bantam bloodlines.

This will be our 2nd Britt and we loved our first one but man was she a hyper dog. She just never calmed down. When we went to visit Brian and his wife at Mazzepa Brittanies we noticed that the 4 adult Britts they had running around never jumped on us and were actually quite calm. The mother of the litter we are getting our pup from was sitting in an outside chair on the porch like she was a human relaxing. They all seemed to have more of a Lab personality. 

The mother and father of my nephew's dog are retired from breeding but our pup is coming from one of their offspring and another male dog with Bantam blood. The new male dog is very stout for a Brittany, I was impressed with his size and I hope my pup ends up being his size but we'll see since this is actually the first litter for these 2 dogs. 

I can't really vouch for this breeder at all other than what I know about my nephew's dog but they seem like very nice people. Our criteria for a dog may be different than yours too since we are less concerned with it being a champion hunter and more concerned with it being a champion family companion. We wanted a dog that loves being outdoors, has enough energy to be playful and instinctualy knows how to hunt but will calm down in the house. In reality this dog will spend very little of it's lifetime hunting so that is not as high on my list of traits than it may be for some others.

If you want a proven champion hunter I would say you may want to go elsewhere but if you want the chance at having a Brittany that is calmer in the house I would give them a look.

11 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Atta boy big D, lots of family fun for sure. Still many ways for you and your boy to enjoy chasing roosters even though you might be hobbled a bit. Get him out as much as you can next year.

Thanks! We plan to start parking our camper up in the Remer area for the fall season and if that happens we should be out on Grouse almost every weekend. I can't walk as far as I used to but we could do a little each day. I enjoy the evening hunt right before dusk the most anyway.

11 hours ago, LindellProStaf said:

That sounds great.  I don't waterfowl much anymore but still want dogs so how they are in the house means much more to me too.  Ya a Brittany may not be too bad of a dog for me neither.....   ?????

I tried hard to go with something else but we always come back to the Brittany. My wife doesn't like the size of a larger dog, my allergies can't handle a Lab, and although a Brittany can shed plenty in the house, they are much better than a Lab or a Golden Retriever. We love the disposition of a Britt but our only knock was how hyper our last one was. We are hoping we found a bloodline that is a little more calm, but time will tell if that is true.

Hey keep us in the loop Dave.  I may be dog shopping in a year or two.  I would be real interested in a calm and super friendly Brittany.  So they don't shed as much as labs?  That would be a plus too.  We have black lab and yellow lab hair to contend with now.  

We're on our 3rd and 4th brits in the family and love them.  All have been pretty hyper pups but seem to calm down in the 4-6 year range with plenty of juice to spare in the field.  My daughters both love them( 2 1/2 and 5 months) and with all the issues that come with kids pulling and trying to ride the dogs I couldn't ask for a better temper in mine.  Takes it all in stride and has never seen a growl.  

1 hour ago, LindellProStaf said:

Hey keep us in the loop Dave.  I may be dog shopping in a year or two.  I would be real interested in a calm and super friendly Brittany.  So they don't shed as much as labs?  That would be a plus too.  We have black lab and yellow lab hair to contend with now.  

In my experience most Brittanies don't shed as much as most Labs but they still shed plenty. My allergies are worse around Labs too for some reason. We had our last Brittany for 8 years and I never had much trouble unless I touched her and forgot to wash my hands right away. On the other hand, I can't even be in the same room with most Labs. 

I do love the temperament of almost every Brittany I have ever seen. They are very eager to please and usually happy-go-lucky much like a Lab but are usually super hyper, even in the house. I noticed a long time ago that my nephew's Britt was much calmer than ours even though he was several years younger than our Bella. I'm not saying the dog we end up with will be that calm but I was sure impressed with the 4 adult dogs the breeder had. Not one of them was as hyper as ours used to be at 8 years old and 2 of them were under 3 years old. I'm keeping my finger's crossed! 

Picked up a new puppy Pudelpointer in early Sept. and we finally turned the corner.  Have not had time to even surf the internet.  Lots of fun but man you have to watch puppies constantly.  I had forgotten how tiring the first month can be.  Of course I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Is he mellow 

I'm not sure Brittany and mellow belong in the same sentence but compared to my last Brittany this one is like he is on valium. :D 

He goes through spurts of high energy but they only last about 15-30 minutes then he lays down and snores.

Here is what he is doing right now at 9:45 am:

Kobe sleeping.jpg

Here he is a few days ago. His name is Kobe, my son named him after Kobe Bryant. Here is Kobe sporting his new Kobe Bryant jersey that my son got for him:

Kobe jersey.jpg