• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generac ix and iq series generators /Inverter

JbuZZo

Hey all, has anybody heard these two and if so is there a BIG difference in noise output? Marketing materials tout the iQ 2000 quieter than the Honda. I also saw some neutral/unbiased video on YouTube of this test. I am curious to see if anyone has feedback on the iX 2000. I can get a new one for $500.00 and am willing to build a baffle box for it to aid in dampening noise. 

Going to be using this for a sleeper house. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I would want to know who makes the motor and where the parts are sourced from. Assembled in Wisconsin but is the motor made in China and sent here to be installed in the case? 

Honda,Yammy and Subaru get their reputation because they are dependable and work when you need them.The thing with a generator is it sits for long periods of tim and then need to start and run flawlessly at a moments notice. 

These may be that way or they may not but that is the first thing I would verify.

Eskimo has done a similar thing with their augers where they used to have bulletproof motors made in Wisconsin but now they have them made in China and just import and sell them. They still do work(I have one) but I have no expectations that it could run as well as long and as reliably as one they built domestically in the past. 

I have the Honda 2000i that I have had for some years now and it is dependable and works when I need it to. I never have that question in the back of my mind whether it will work like I need it to when I need it to.

Save yourself some grief and just buy a Honda. Yes,  it IS more money. But it will start on the first or second pull every time (mine has for 15 years) and it won't quit when you most need it. This is a tough lesson to learn. Save yourself the trouble. And don't worry too much about the sound; if you want to build a "baffle box"  you can, but remember to build it so you don't limit the Hondas's air flow....it needs to breath.

I went through all of this generator analysis for 2 years.  Was going to get the blue Powerhorse from Northern  Good reviews.  About $600.  Just about ordered it.  Then I thought what if it only lasts 3 or 4 years and then I have to buy another one or then get a Honda or Yammy.  Decided to go to L&M and got a Honda on sale.  Best move I ever made.  Now I don't have to wonder how long the bargain one will last and if the company will even be making them in 5 years if I need parts or service.  

I'm pretty sure that in the history of the internet, no generator discussion has ever ended without the advice of "get a Honda or Yamaha".  The discussion could easily end there, but you have a few posts of guys trying to justify saving the $200-300.  For $200-300, you KNOW you won't have a problem.  I know of a few guys who have gone the cheap route first, and then off to the Honda or Yamaha after their knockoff went kaputt.  If you go the cheap route and then make the 2nd step, your Honda or Yamaha just easily cost you over $1200.  My advice...do it right the first time.    

I do know someone who got one of the champions. I think it was from Cabela's in a pinch because they needed it to run a sump pump after a big rain. It did work good day one but it was not holding up good after a few years. Carb issues, hard starting. That was what convinced me to get the Honda

Thanks all for the input... I guess there's a reason I see 9 out of 10 sleeper houses out on the lakes with a Honda... Thanks for saving me some heartache down the road. I'll do it right the 1st time and just spring for the Honda now and be happy and "in business" for the next 10+ years. 

Did some pretty heavy research on these inverter generators to understand exactly what one is paying for and the benefits. 

All of them are pretty good quality, but they aren't all capable of the same things. All are capable of the 2000 watts, but how it is able to be used is the difference factor. The difference factor is the 120v plugs that are on the unit.

Take for example the champion 2000 the outlets are 13.5 amp max. You can only run a 13.5 amp product max on it or it overloads the plug. (which is 1620watts) In order to be able to use the 16.7 max amps the unit can provide (2000 watts) you would have to run both plugs on the unit without drawing more then 13.5 amps (1620 watts) from either plug. Now take for example the Yamaha it has 16.7 amp max (2000 watt) 120v plugs. The Honda has 20amp (2400 watt) 120v plugs.  So......if you used an extension cord to plug into the 120v plug for your ice castle on the Yamaha & Honda you could draw 16.7 amps or 2000 watts from those units. You'd also be able to run something that took 16.7 amps to run. With the cheaper $500 units like the champion you would only be able to use 13.5 amps or (1620 watts) when you used a single cord to plug into your ice castle. In order to use the remaining 380amps you'd have to run a second cord to the other plug. 

So the summary is the Honda will run **** the others can't due to having the 20amp 120v plugs.........however, if you were to get two units to put in parallel and had the 30amp plugs for the units......they can all run the same stuff.......so two champion 2000 would be able to do the same has two Honda 2000 because they'd both have the 30amp max plug............so does one get two champions that you have to drag around and run the 30amp cord to the ice castle and have 30amps (3600watts) for $900, Run a Honda at $1000 for a max of 16.7amps (2000watts) and lug one unit. Or run one champion.....and have to mess around using two extension cords.....to be able to use the 2000watt max.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

That is a good point. One other thing to consider is if you want it to run power tools once in a while away from the grid, Most portable table saws, 12" miter saws and better quality circular saws draw 15 amps. If the gen has a 13. whatever amp max they will be overloading the circuit. 

I do use my Honda quite a bit for running my tools at sites where power is limited and I would call the Honda 2000 the bare minimum for running the tools I have.

Keep in mind that the 2000W rating is these units max surge, not it's actual rated watts of 1600W (for Honda and Yamaha).  Honda has the ability to sustain the max 2000W for 30 minutes due to its larger motor (98cc).  Yamaha's smaller motor (79cc) is only able to sustain the max 2000W for about 10 seconds before it kicks back down to the 1600W (designed to handle the inrush current caused by electric motors when started). 

Honda also has fuel pumps in their units so you can use an extended run tank (6 gal.) which equates to about 72+ hours of run time before having to refill.  The only time I have to touch my Honda is when I setup on Friday and when I leave the lake on Sunday.  I let it run constantly when I'm on the lake and never have to worry about gas or it shutting down.  I do believe Generac and maybe PowerHorse is also capable of using an extended run tank too.  Yamaha needs to be gravity fed which turns into a pain when dealing with the extended tank. 

Generac can use the extended run gas cap/tank... In my research I have also found out the

Generac  ix:

• Convenient Power Source - 2000 running watts and 2200 starting watts

Generac iq: 1600 running watts and 2000 starting watts

Honda: AC Output‎: ‎120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)

I like the price of the generac, I am concerned about the noise output of the ix2000 and cold weather starting... 

understand the iq2000 is quieter or just as quiet as the Honda, but from what I hear, not as reliable... So in my mind not worth the $200.00 in savings at the sticker price. 

I can get a new ix2000 for $500.00. I know they're louder than the Honda, but I could build a noise dampening box for that... 

I'd love to save $500.00 and get the ix2000 but would hate to be regretting that decision a year from now or when I'm out on the lake and everyone's Hondas are humming and I'm hating life with a Generac that won't start. Honda generators have a pretty solid reputation. 

Another one you may consider is the Coleman Powermate 2000I Portable Inverter Generator. Walmart and hsolist for under $500 and 50 to 51 db. They seem to have good reviews, and engine has many Yamaha parts. Coleman makes great products for outdoor sports and many RV  air conditioners. 

10 minutes ago, papadarv said:

Another one you may consider is the Coleman Powermate 2000I Portable Inverter Generator. Walmart and hsolist for under $500 and 50 to 51 db. They seem to have good reviews, and engine has many Yamaha parts. Coleman makes great products for outdoor sports and many RV  air conditioners. 

Just curious, where do you see it is only 50 to 51 db? 

From the Powermate page:

PM0152000

Clean & stable power, safe for computers and other sensitive electronic devices Quiet – 63 dBA @ 7m (22 ft.) @ ¼ load Compact and lightweight offers portable power for camping, tailgating & recreational use

3 hours ago, JbuZZo said:

I like the price of the generac, I am concerned about the noise output of the ix2000 and cold weather starting... 

understand the iq2000 is quieter or just as quiet as the Honda, but from what I hear, not as reliable... So in my mind not worth the $200.00 in savings at the sticker price. 

I can get a new ix2000 for $500.00. I know they're louder than the Honda, but I could build a noise dampening box for that... 

I'd love to save $500.00 and get the ix2000 but would hate to be regretting that decision a year from now or when I'm out on the lake and everyone's Hondas are humming and I'm hating life with a Generac that won't start. Honda generators have a pretty solid reputation. 

If your going to build a baffle box then why wouldn't you just get a $250 cheap 3500watt generator then......IMO the only reason I would by one of these is if it is quiet and portable......if I got to lug a box around to make it quiet it losses both the reasons to buy one.

I wonder if a guy could get the champion and replace the plug ins with 15 or 20amp sockets......then Hou could have the quiet like the Honda and be able to allow for the surge pull up to 2000 watts above the 1700 running.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

On 8/24/2016 at 9:59 PM, Agronomist_at_IA said:

If your going to build a baffle box then why wouldn't you just get a $250 cheap 3500watt generator then......IMO the only reason I would by one of these is if it is quiet and portable......if I got to lug a box around to make it quiet it losses both the reasons to buy one.

I wonder if a guy could get the champion and replace the plug ins with 15 or 20amp sockets......then Hou could have the quiet like the Honda and be able to allow for the surge pull up to 2000 watts above the 1700 running.

Replacing the plug won't do it. The sockets are used because they are synchronized with the output of all the electrical components that are feeding it.

It would be similar to putting a circuit breaker designed for 12g wire on a run of 14g wire and then treating the circuit as if is now wired with 12. 

The first part of your post hit the nail on the head and was what I was thinking as well in regards to the baffle box. At some point if you need 120v power on the ice you need to decide to deal with some noise. Or set it next to your buddy's shack and run a long extension cord. :grin:

4 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Replacing the plug won't do it. The sockets are used because they are synchronized with the output of all the electrical components that are feeding it.

It would be similar to putting a circuit breaker designed for 12g wire on a run of 14g wire and then treating the circuit as if is now wired with 12. 

The first part of your post hit the nail on the head and was what I was thinking as well in regards to the baffle box. At some point if you need 120v power on the ice you need to decide to deal with some noise. Or set it next to your buddy's shack and run a long extension cord. :grin:

Thanks.

Makes sense. After hitting a lot of u tube videos and reviews. It looks like the champion is a pretty solid good running unit. It also can handle running 1700 watts. The only down side is that it can't jump and run the 15amp type stuff like the Honda can (short term like 20min or so) Like a Chop saw. Which the champion really isn't rated for.  Where the Honda kept it going.....so that's the difference for $550 more from what I could tell. So does one go hands for $999 or champion for $449 and get a satillite for $500 with it......

Well.....here is what I would be running pretty much constantly 1.7cu. Haier minni fridge, 24in Visio smart tv, satellite, fan blower for furnace, powered HD antenna, LED lights, and charging phones, iPads, & sonar batteries.... So I think the champion should handle it.

What I would ocassionaly run is a coffe maker or a hot plate. I know if I needed I could use a coffe percolator & a cast griddle on top of the stove gas burners so I wouldn't have to run off electric. I think the champion would struggle doing it all where the Honda could prolly manage it....I no nothing is worse then having an underpowered unit that can't do what you want.

It's not always about getting a generator that can run everything you have in your shack.  Talk to any rv owner and they will tell you right away any combination of their appliances they can run depending on their power source.  Agreed Honda is the best around but any generator in this post will run everything you need in your shack, you may just have to quick flip the furnace off for 10-15 while you make coffee.  Or maybe not, but you'll find out real soon what you can and can't run at any given time.

11 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

4 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Thanks.

Makes sense. After hitting a lot of u tube videos and reviews. It looks like the champion is a pretty solid good running unit. It also can handle running 1700 watts. The only down side is that it can't jump and run the 15amp type stuff like the Honda can (short term like 20min or so) Like a Chop saw. Which the champion really isn't rated for.  Where the Honda kept it going.....so that's the difference for $550 more from what I could tell. So does one go hands for $999 or champion for $449 and get a satillite for $500 with it......

Well.....here is what I would be running pretty much constantly 1.7cu. Haier minni fridge, 24in Visio smart tv, satellite, fan blower for furnace, powered HD antenna, LED lights, and charging phones, iPads, & sonar batteries.... So I think the champion should handle it.

What I would ocassionaly run is a coffe maker or a hot plate. I know if I needed I could use a coffe percolator & a cast griddle on top of the stove gas burners so I wouldn't have to run off electric. I think the champion would struggle doing it all where the Honda could prolly manage it....I no nothing is worse then having an underpowered unit that can't do what you want.

To me while the added power is nice, the long term proven reliability is what really seals the deal. As I said in the first post the Honda has a solid proven track record of working when you need it and doing that year after year with no concerns about component failure. 

If you can get that same reliability from a generator that costs $500 less then it's something to consider but in my experience the way you shed $500 off the cost of a generator is to use Chinese parts for the engine and electronics and have those parts be rated at a lower duty life. 

Maybe the gens in question didn't compromise any quality or durability and just found a way to make them more efficiently. If that's the case then saving money by purchasing that brand  might be the best option.

I don't think Chinese or Japanese parts are always the downfall though so that shouldn't always be a deciding factor.  Unless I'm missing info somewhere(which wouldn't be the first time) Hondas own page says their generators are made in China and japan.  There are definitely cheap knockoffs but being a location based consumer is becoming less and less reliable as more products are shifted(or even in many cases began) over seas with a better standard or quality than we can produce domestically for the same price.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

To me while the added power is nice, the long term proven reliability is what really seals the deal. As I said in the first post the Honda has a solid proven track record of working when you need it and doing that year after year with no concerns about component failure. 

If you can get that same reliability from a generator that costs $500 less then it's something to consider but in my experience the way you shed $500 off the cost of a generator is to use Chinese parts for the engine and electronics and have those parts be rated at a lower duty life. 

Maybe the gens in question didn't compromise any quality or durability and just found a way to make them more efficiently. If that's the case then saving money by purchasing that brand  might be the best option.

Lmao.....you must be in your 50's.......complaining about Chinese parts.......lmao. About 1/3 of the world population lives in China, and the biggest most successful American companies like Apple get stuff built in China. The reason everything is built in China is because 1/3 of the worlds population is in China and labor is cheap since they need jobs and will work for cents on the dollar. The farce that Chinese products are junk has been over for 10 yrs. The only reason a product is junk coming from China is do to the company contracting the manufacturing is using cheaper quality stuff when manufacturing to increase profits not because the "Chinese made it". The blame for cheap quality is on the American companies charging more and providing less quality for increased profits. 

The champion is fine and does what is advertised. However the reason the Honda performs so well was/is actually the fact it is a larger watt inverter generator put into a 2000watt package to sell. The Honda can hold 2200 watts for a short period of time. It's a marketing ploy that worked well. I wish more companies would under promise and over deliver, but they don't. 

what I get a kick out of is how everyone thinks these generators were specifically designed to run in the winter under the most harses conditions and cant figure out why they might have problems. Just because its a Honda? or yammy? how many of you have seen or have done.... leave it out in the snow bank  till it ,melts a pool of water till its sitting in an inch or more of melted snow, letting it sit outside uncovered while its snowing as its sucking in snow crystals into the air intake and cant figure out why its shutting off.. ect ect.  these genrators wernt intentionaly built for what we primarily use it for,powering an ice house in subartic conditions. its just that they gained so much popularity as a compact light weight quiet portable source of power. it fits our need. who here actually wouldn't have one if they didn't own a perm of some kind. not me. so at a 1000.00 bucks that I payed 2 years ago for, I run the gas out of it in the off season, I had the bottom jet clogged 3 times so far from gas going bad even with treatment, from not running. I keep it out of the elements at all times, under my tano cover on my truck with it cracked for air flow,  Ive even brought with another pop up house to run it in, just to keep it out of the elements. quite frankly I thing anyone of the abouve mentioned genretors will work fine, just got take care of them, boucing around in the bed of a truck, sitting in a snow bank, out in the snow and wind. summer storage. just take care of them. and mine certainly dose not start after the 1-2 pulls. my H 2000 takes 5-10 pulls, its a cold biothc, but once its warm, starts on the first. I'm getting a companion this year also. my 2 cents, certainly insinuation anyone here dosent take care of their stuff. I just wittnessd the said things.