Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eyeguy 54

Salsa time

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

First batch done. nom nom nom

14045739_10209826794288704_6046954132811289721_n.jpg

May be you could use a little of my sauce to bam it up a bit! :D

IMG_2148.JPG

RebelSS likes this

looks good eyeguy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did up 12 pints earlier. I may do a half a batch yet!!!!!!!!

I did a lot last year.............we seem to go thru it in spirts! since my garden produced a good abundance of ingredients I will need to make hay when the sun shines!!!!!!!:grin:

eyeguy 54 likes this

Did up 12 pints yesterday! Got a pic but I ain't smart enough to post.:(

Looking for a new recipe, seem to be sick of the one we got,  eyeguy is yours posted anywhere

8 cup cut up green peppers

6 cup cut up onions

3 cup cut up celery

saute in 2 tablespoons veggie oil till half tender

Add

8 pounds tomatoes ( i just cut out stem, quarter and run on low in the blender for a bit, skin on)

7 garlic cloves diced up ( or 2 tsp minced garlic from a jar)

1. 4 oz can diced jalapenos

1. 20 oz can crushed pineapple, or tidbits

4 T brown sugar

1 T Oregano

1 T Cayenne pepper

1T Chili powder

1T salt

2 Tsp liquid smoke

2. 12 oz cans tomato paste

bring to a slow boil then simmer 20 minutes or so.  then can, boil for about 15 minutes then turn off the heat and let it sit overnight to seal. makes 14 to 16 pints usually. have fun :)

blue_healer_guy likes this

Thanks eyeguy, did 22 pts and 2 qts tonite.  tasted great warm.  cant wait till cool.  I still have 3 bottles of siler sATIN WAITING FOR YOU NEXT TIME IM UP YOUR WAY!  That typing was not boar by the way.

eyeguy 54 likes this

26 minutes ago, blue_healer_guy said:

Thanks eyeguy, did 22 pts and 2 qts tonite.  tasted great warm.  cant wait till cool.  I still have 3 bottles of siler sATIN WAITING FOR YOU NEXT TIME IM UP YOUR WAY!  That typing was not boar by the way.

You took some if his classes though didn't ya!!!:P:grin:

blue_healer_guy likes this

On 8/21/2016 at 5:24 PM, smurfy said:

Did up 12 pints yesterday! Got a pic but I ain't smart enough to post.:(

Cripes...ya can't teach a Smurf anything.  Have to do it for him. :whistle:

Displaying IMG_20160820_163122534_HDR.jpg

Reb's so infatuated with the new NL he forgot how to post pictures..

Must be hard  to post with your tongue hanging out while leaning out the window with binoculars.

15 hours ago, blue_healer_guy said:

cool,  I love it best after its been in the fridge.  but I eat it room temp also.  

4 hours ago, smurfy said:

ders no picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tired::cry:

Are you Helen Keller or what??! The PIC IS RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't see one, blame the site! I see one! Wipe the katchup outta yer eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry charlie.  No ketchup, no picture.  

Nice and warm here at the lake

51 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Sorry charlie.  No ketchup, no picture.  

Nice and warm here at the lake

Serious???!! I see it, and my buddy is looking at it too....WTH??! Maybe this site won't let you see pics, anymore, Del!

A big pic of smurfs canning, right there.....

I see no smurfs. thats a good thing lol.  did 3 batches of salsa and one spaghetti sauce so far. 1 or 2 more salsa and will call it good this year.  

SMURFS shutting down his canning operation for the year!!!!!!!!!!!! gotz enough stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, smurfy said:

SMURFS shutting down his canning operation for the year!!!!!!!!!!!! gotz enough stuff!!!!!!!!!!

closed-for-the-season.jpg

If you're done canning and you still have a few tomatoes coming in don't forget about homemade tomato soup. The other day I had 5 or 6 very ripe tomatoes that I didn't want to go to waste, so I decided to make some tomato basil soup. It turned out fantastic, and simple to make.

I just blanched and seeded the tomatoes. Added some fresh chopped basil from the garden, some fresh chopped parsley, fresh garlic, a little onion powder, and heavy cream.

let it simmer and meld

poured it into the blender for a couple pulses. Delicious.

eyeguy 54 likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• And we know you like it raw.  No vaseline.   Pink steak, sure.  But raw burger just isn't my jam.   
    • AHH..... Memories.... I would have loved to have a odometer on our  Tri-Moto 125, had to have put thousands of miles on that 3 wheeler, burnt it down a few times when we were kids but Dad said you'll have to learn to fix it yourself! I'm not bringing it back to the dealer every time there's something wrong! We got good at new pistons and rings and gasket sets..... eventually we brought it to the dealer in pieces after we couldn't fix it anymore, think it was a rod bearing that eventually was it's demise, ended up getting a rippin' Tri-Moto 175 after that, those wheelers were our main transportation since we didn't have drivers licenses yet....... good times for sure.   You're carb is having issues, I would go there first, somethings not stopping the fuel from getting into your carb, either the float has a hole in it and isn't floating, or it could be sticking somewhere or your needle and seat are shot.   Give the carb a good once over and you should have your problem fixed.   Those were pretty basic 2 cycle engines, I don't think they even had reed valves.   Mike    
    • I planned on getting seeds and starting them at home, I won't be up there until late April. I have planted squash up there and they did not grow, I will look at blue hubbard, I have not had/grown them before, they sound interesting.
    • Tomatoes, peppers and most other veggies can be easily grown in containers. This allows you to get your plants from the greenhouse and pot them up a week or two earlier if you have a sheltered spot for them.   Veggies can be mixed with ornamental plants in your containers and you can create some really cool landscaping. I have a ton of antique containers that I've integrated into my landscaping and they usually turn out great.
    • Probably.    What are you out if they don't grow?   Just use seeds.   No need to buy plants.   A couple bucks will get enough seeds to plant quite a few hills (plant several seeds in a group).   Or plant butternut squash and you get to eat some too.    Or Blue Hubbard...  
    •   Yes, definitely fence it if you are able. We have a large garden that we don't fence do to the size. Each year the deer do some damage but the worst is raccoons. We don't have many of them but they came through 2 years ago and destroyed our sweet corn crop. We had 4 rows, each over 50' long all gone in one night. It looked like they had a party with corn husks laying in piles all over the yard and corn cobs stripped clean everywhere. It was actually kind of comical to me but my wife was not pleased. 
    • Second the swim jig, comes through any cover nice, and if they aren't hitting the frog they will the swim jig
    • I would like to grow some pumpkins this year in the field on my hunting land in Wadena county. The ground is mostly sand. Can I dig a few holes, fill them with black dirt/compost and plant the plants in these, will they grow ok? Any advice will be appreciated.
    •   Yeah, yeah we know your the real Meat expert!  Vaseline.  
    • Never had dog.   Raw beef is tasty.  Rare steak,  carpaccio, steak tartare, Wisconsin cannibal sandwiches.     http://articles.latimes.com/2013/dec/06/news/la-ol-cannibal-sandwich-wisconsin-illness-20131206   'War on Christmas' expands to 'war on cannibal sandwich' in Wisconsin December 06, 2013|By Paul Whitefield   Forget the war on Christmas; now the nanny statists have taken aim at another storied holiday tradition (at least if you live in Wisconsin): cannibalism. OK, wait, that’s not quite accurate (though it is a heck of lede). It’s actually the “cannibal sandwich” that has caught the all-seeing eye of Big Government — and it doesn’t like what it’s seeing. First, some background, for those folks who live in normal places and eat normal food — or those who are having visions of the wood-chipper scene in “Fargo” (which wasn’t even set in Wisconsin, by the way, for you geographically challenged Californians).   It seems that the “cannibal sandwich” is a popular item in areas of the upper Midwest, and especially in Wisconsin. According to the Associated Press: “The appetizer, also called ‘tiger meat,’ ‘steak tartare’ or simply ‘ground beef,’ is usually a simple dish of lean ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper on rye cocktail bread with sliced raw onion.” The AP gleaned this tidbit from one John Gurda, a “Milwaukee historian … who served it at his 1977 wedding reception” (which must’ve been one of the highlights of the season that year in Milwaukee). Oh, yes, and in case you were planning on making this at home: “Occasionally, a raw egg will be mixed with the meat.” Or, I suppose, you could throw caution completely to the winds and slap on a raw oyster or two. But it’s yummy, at least to Wisconsinites. As Keith Meyer, who runs a butcher shop in Kenosha, explained to the AP: “It’s like eating a cold hamburger that’s a little on the raw side.” Or, I’d say, it’s exactly like eating a cold hamburger that is in fact raw — then again, I’ve never had one, so what would I know? Anyway, as I started to say when I began this rant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (a.k.a. one of the nanny staters) doesn’t have the same, ahem, respect for tradition as the common cheeseheads, and it issued a warning this week about the Wisconsin fare. Seems it had found 50 cases of food-borne illness in 1972, 1978 and 1994 in the state, and in the 2012 holiday season, it linked at least four and possibly more than a dozen cases of E. Coli to the consumption of “cannibal sandwiches” in central Wisconsin. To which I say: Only 50? Only four? Heck, more people get sick eating bad cantaloupes and spinach. You’re going to deprive the good people of the upper Midwest a cherished holiday party platter because a few folks got really sick? No, I say! Rather, “Don’t tread on my bread!” Or, “You can have my cold raw hamburger sandwich when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.” I say, “If it was good enough for Grandpa Ollie, it’s good enough for (anyone silly enough to eat it)!” Or, at the very least, just give it a better name. After all, in California, we pay big bucks to eat sushi — raw fish. So maybe the Wisconsin folks should call their concoction a “sashi sandwich.” Who knows, it might be the next big thing on the Left Coast.
  • Our Sponsors