Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Cooperman

Bargman porch lights

14 posts in this topic

For those building wheel house and using these porch lights, how are you installing them? The plastic piece doesn't hold onto the metal piece very well. I've got one I can't even snap together. I think they would blow off going down the highway. I didn't get any hardware, just the plastic shroud and lense/with switch and the aluminum plate with a bulb and wires. Looks like a pretty crappy design?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Super simple. Take the clear lense off, screw through the white housing (where they allow for screws to go through, and also through the aluminum backing into the house  

Thanks LPG! Did you use any type of sealant? 

Do you know if you can replace the bulbs with LED?

49 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

You're going to want to at least seal around the hole in the camper skin where your wire comes through.  A good bead of silicon around the hole before you screw the light down should work.

You can get replacement LED bulbs on amazon but I don't know how many of them are outdoor capable.  If you have a little time to spare maybe you can order an LED system like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UO6HP9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  The one I listed is the one I got ($45) and that puppy is bright!  Either way LED is definitely the way to go, brighter and much less power draw. 

got ours at a auto parts store, led light bulbs that is

5 hours ago, Cooperman said:

What was said above.  Something around the hole for the wires.  I added some caulk (I like LEXEL) about 90% of the way around my lights, with an opening at the bottom to drain.  You could also use rubber grommets where the wires go through the siding, if you really want to be overkill.  

I replaced mine with Chinese LED bulbs.  I bought a 12 pack of them for relatively (maybe $5 each) cheap.  In my last house it caused interference with the TV.  Going to try them on this house.  I did a few things different with my TV wiring, so it may not do it...time will tell.  

Moon Lake Refuge likes this

11 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

What was said above.  Something around the hole for the wires.  I added some caulk (I like LEXEL) about 90% of the way around my lights, with an opening at the bottom to drain.  You could also use rubber grommets where the wires go through the siding, if you really want to be overkill.  

I replaced mine with Chinese LED bulbs.  I bought a 12 pack of them for relatively (maybe $5 each) cheap.  In my last house it caused interference with the TV.  Going to try them on this house.  I did a few things different with my TV wiring, so it may not do it...time will tell.  

I dont know how much 12v impacts it but I know with 110 you want all of your wiring to cross your tv wiring at 90 degree angles.  Never recommended to run them perpendicular to each other.

Thank all,

I bought a 16x8 Yetti toy hauler shell in 2014 and I'm just getting around to finishing it. I'd like to have it at least fishable by this winter. I don't know how you guys can put these together so fast, or where you get the time, but I admire your drive, and enjoy following your builds. I have purchased just about everything I need except the T&G, so it's just a matter of putting it all together.

38 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

I dont know how much 12v impacts it but I know with 110 you want all of your wiring to cross your tv wiring at 90 degree angles.  Never recommended to run them perpendicular to each other.

That is about what I was thinking.  I was able to isolate my tv antenna cable from all my other wiring, so I'm hoping it will take care of the problem.  The root of the problem is the cheap bulbs I bought, but I'd rather not throw 12 of them in the garbage until I give this a try.  They totally killed my TV signal in the last house, and if they do it again, then they'll end up in the trash.  

Another thing is if you have them coming out in the same area, have a separate box or low voltage enclosure for your coax/hdmi type wires and run all other power through another box.  Dont remember where I found it but if you are looking to run them all into a 2-3 gang box I found a shallow mount that had 1-2 high voltage in the box and a low voltage attached to the end.

18 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

Thank all,

I bought a 16x8 Yetti toy hauler shell in 2014 and I'm just getting around to finishing it. I'd like to have it at least fishable by this winter. I don't know how you guys can put these together so fast, or where you get the time, but I admire your drive, and enjoy following your builds. I have purchased just about everything I need except the T&G, so it's just a matter of putting it all together.

They are a massive commitment of time, and most guys don't understand until they actually do one for themselves the first time.  That said, once the shell and wiring is done, you'd be surprised at how quickly they go together.  Plus, after the first, each build takes probably 1/4 less time than the previous.  You learn all sorts of tricks along the way.  Like cutting 10 T&G boards at a time on the miter saw.    

1 minute ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

They are a massive commitment of time, and most guys don't understand until they actually do one for themselves the first time.  That said, once the shell and wiring is done, you'd be surprised at how quickly they go together.  Plus, after the first, each build takes probably 1/4 less time than the previous.  You learn all sorts of tricks along the way.  Like cutting 10 T&G boards at a time on the miter saw.    

Also I got a miter saw stand from mnrds for like 40 bucks that had extending arms.  Locked them into place for my repeat cuts and no more measuring.  Measure once, cut 60 without having to use the tape again!