• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On board chargers

Musky hunter 82

I recently purchased a new to me boat that has a 24V bow mount trolling motor and I would like to get an on board charger, so I can charge both batteries at the same time.  What chargers would you guys recommend?  I typically fish for a day then have the boat in the garage for several days to a week, so I wouldn't need one that can charge the batteries really fast.

Thanks

Thanks guys,

The boat has 3 batteries in it, 2 for the 24V bow mount trolling motor and 1 for starting and accessories.  The only thing for the most part that will be draining of the starting battery while fishing will be the Lowrance Hook 7, so it shouldn't drain that fast.

So would you guys get a 2 bank and connect it to the trolling motor batteries, and charge the starting battery with my other charger, or would you get a 3 bank and not worry about the other charger?

After ten years I replaced my Cabela's Pro Series 12 with a new one this spring. The old one started to seem a little flakey, so I figured it was about time for an upgrade.

I also just use it to charge the two batteries for the trolling motor, the outboard seems to charge the starter battery fine for my use, the locator is the only thing that runs off of it. I just have to make sure the old Lowrance is unplugged after use, the GPS puck seems to draw current even when it's off.

Also the live well pumps and radio are on the starting battery.  Get the 3 bank.  It isn't that much more money and you will never have to worry about the starting battery. 

I have a charger, forget the brand, maybe pro mariner, that I got in 98. Seems to still be doing the job....

We have a Minn Kota 2 bank / 10 amps each that is hook up to the motor. We have a 12 volt PD on the bow that we use most of the time. The way ours is wired it will only charge the batteries up front after the starting battery is charged. Most of the time by the time we get back to the dock all our batteries are fully charged. We also have a 24 volt 70 # for the transom but it's rarely used & often not even on the boat

23 hours ago, Musky hunter 82 said:

Has anyone tried the Cabela's advanced anglers Pro series?  I was looking at that Pro series 20+, it's a 3 bank 20 total amps. 

We have it now, and it is pretty good. The only thing that our old Guest had, that the Cabelas and I think even ProMairner don't, is individual lights for each battery to show its condition.

For example, with Cabelas you have the lights that indicate charge, charged, and problem (not sure if I got that all correct, might be slow charge in there) so you know if there is a  problem, but you don't know which battery. The old Guest we had had lights for each battery, which was nice when you did have a battery or connection issue.

I would get Cabelas 20+ again.

I would also recommend a three bank, because why not keep the starting battery in top shape as well, for a few more dollars.  (PS, you can extend the lead on the charger easily by just making sure to use the same gauge wire, and we solder and then heat shrink the connections - just slap a section of wire between the cut ends of the factory lead to make it longer to reach the starting if you need to. We also use spacers behind the charger and make sure to have charger elevated so air is all around it to help disperse the heat.)

Good luck.

Edited by BoxMN