• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nice work!

Chickens are in my top 5 for wild mushrooms for sure! I've never tried freezing them raw. I always cut into bite sized pieces, fry in butter with seasoning, portion them out, then freeze each portion inside tightly sealedGlad Press n Seal wrap, then into a Ziploc for ID. Works great. You'll have to let us know how they do being frozen fresh and then used.

Love those "accidental" finds...

Was headed out to the Red River for some cat fishing on Saturday with the family and decided to stop at a spot I know by a local river where frogs migrate en masse this time of year (looking to solidify our cat bait situation). Didn't get much for frogs but found an absolutely PERFECT cluster of Chicken of the Woods (cincinnatus) growing from the root of an oak tree (3 clusters, actually). Ideally, I would have liked to let it grow a day or two more, but it was right out in the open near a boat landing and I was going to be gone for 2 days, so it came catfishing with me. My rule of thumb is pick it when you see it. I've lost out on chickens before in spots where I thought no one looked.

Anyhow, I've found the cincinnatus variety a couple other times, and for whatever reason it tends to have better texture and even better flavor than (the seemingly much more common) Laetiporus sulphureus . Anyone else agree or disagree with that?

I needed more mushrooms in the freezer like I need another ache in my back, but when opportunity screams at you, you gotta say "why not?" Just seeing that perfect specimen has me itching to find a hen or two, now.

COTW-C, Sep 3, 2016.jpg

Edited by pikestabber