• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger Extension torque problem?

redhooks

Question

I have a Lazer XL3000 10" about 5 years old, ran fine for years until this winter when I had some minor probs w/ the air vane rubbing but still cut fine. Last week I was up at Red and had to put on my 18" extension to get through 36" of ice, it now stands at eye level and I had difficult time getting up enough RPM's to cut with it. I eventually got through and have been a little perplexed as to if I would need to change the carb settings to deal w/ the extra torque of all that extra length? Well last night the URL triange got the best of it because while drilling the 1st hole, it had more problems getting up enough steam to dig and then the the bottom of the gearcase cracked and probably the guts inside frown.gif thankfully we borrowed another and caught a few but now I have to deal with my sick auger. Should I contact strikemaster about the repairs or can I have it done better/cheaper/faster locally or possibly do it myself? And is the extra long extension the reason for blowin the guts out or was it caused by worn out gears? appreciate any advice-and I hope your luck has been better than mine lately.
redhooks

[This message has been edited by redhooks (edited 03-08-2003).]

4 answers to this question

I remember this auger. smile.gif The vane might not be right. If so your not getting the power cuz the govenor isnt working. Or your binding in the gearcase thus putting aload on the engine.
When using an extension you shouldnt need carb adjustments.

I guess you wont know what to do till you get it opened up.

Hopefully you can find a junker for parts. If not contact a service center for parts and or service.

It definately does not have anything to do with torque. The only way you would add extra torque would be by lengthening the width of the blades. Hence the reason for a 3 horse ten inch auger. The only thing I can think of is maybe its the way you were holding it that made er go ca-put. You just have gear issues.

I pulled the cracked gear box apart and everything inside seems fine so I just need a new lower cover-$35 new, but I might call around and see if anyone has a use one. Then I suppose I'll see about a new vane- I adjusted it and it didn't make as much racket but may still been the gremlin that started it all. I guess after 5 yrs of abuse something has to give. Good luck, big fish and no whammies to all!
redhooks

Like everyone is saying you aren't adding more torque by lengthing out the auger. With my Jiffy when I have extenstions on the takes longer because auger is just more diffcult to handle because you can't get your weight on the auger until it is about a 1 or 2 into the ice. Sounds to me like you should look at the vanes it makes a difference and you should be good to go. if not look at a jiffy I have a 20 year old one that has ended up using extenstions every year since it was bought just about.