• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing buddies wear out?

Crow Hunter

I am going to replace the bearings and grease seals on my boat trailer. My question is should I replace my bearing buddies also? does anything wear out on them? They are probably 15 years old, seem to work fine. Thanks for any thoughts

Shouldn't have to, CH. Basically they are a spring loaded device that pushes the grease at about 3-4 psi or so against bearings to keep water out when launching into and retrieving from water. The warm hubs suddenly contract when they hit the cool water, creating a vacuum, sucking water in. The bearing buddy helps prevent this. I occasionally took mine apart, checked the backing plates, and gave the springs a bit of a "stretch". 

I agree with Reb. The only thing I like to do is use the bra that you can get. Smear a little grease around the outside were it slips on. This way it make a waterproof seal and keeps the dirt out of the bearing buddy. I like to smear grease around the zirt as well to protect against rust.