• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sure looks like Chicken of the Woods, but the Laetiporus Cincinnatus variety versus the (arguably) more common Laetiporus sulphureus variety. I find Laetiporus Cincinnatus the better of the two to eat.

That said, I can't explain why it wasn't growing on wood? I've always found them on damaged or dead oak stumps/trees... Perhaps from an underground oak root? Was it near a tree at least?

Can someone else chime in? I don't want to be the only voice on the "go for it" train as it looks the part, but the edges have that "Jack O Lantern" fringe to it. That would be bad...

Edited by pikestabber

21 hours ago, Gunboats said:

From reading on the jack o lantern, they have gills. This one doesn't. I didn't think about an old root. There were some trees not too far away. Didn't look to see what kind

Jacks do have gills and the caps are very soft and easily separated. After looking at/thinking about this one, I'd move into the 99% sure it's a COTW. I just don't like being the only voice of "go for it" from just an internet pic. :)

Yes 100% chicken, as for yours Del.  Those are some type of Russula, not edible that I can think of and honestly even if they were at that stage you'll get more protein from all the worms in it then from anything else.