• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toy hauler build

vtx1029

9 minutes ago, vtx1029 said:

Anyone used flat sheet aluminum on the bottom of their house instead of diamond plate? just wonder if it would look bad.

The debate on what lasts the longest on the bottom outside has come up in a ton of posts.  General consensus has been diamond plate.  Still waiting to see how diamond plate with por on it holds up.  I think its really your call but if you go flat aluminum are you talking unpainted?  I would imagine painted will scuff off pretty quick?  If talking flat unpainted aluminum I guess its a personal preference but I would think Diamond plate would give more protection regardless of the look.

On 11/3/2016 at 1:11 PM, vtx1029 said:

Anyone used flat sheet aluminum on the bottom of their house instead of diamond plate? just wonder if it would look bad.

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this one.  We left a couple sheets of unpainted sheet aluminum sit outside over summer.  Not for any real reason, they just got set down on the pallet, and we never moved them inside.  When I went to install them on the ceiling, they were extremely corroded, and no amount of chemicals or sanding would get the corrosion off.  I ended up having to buy new sheets.  Even though the diamond plate requires a bit of upkeep, I think the flat aluminum would look 10x's worse after a couple years.     

10 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this one.  We left a couple sheets of unpainted sheet aluminum sit outside over summer.  Not for any real reason, they just got set down on the pallet, and we never moved them inside.  When I went to install them on the ceiling, they were extremely corroded, and no amount of chemicals or sanding would get the corrosion off.  I ended up having to buy new sheets.  Even though the diamond plate requires a bit of upkeep, I think the flat aluminum would look 10x's worse after a couple years.     

Oh well too late to turn back now. I'll just paint it if it gets too bad. Do you know what series the aluminum was you had?

14 hours ago, Hawg said:

You're foam guy did a good job! You don't have a ton of clean up it doesn't look like.

I had a friend of a friend spray it and I cleaned all the studs and such. It was a ton of work but we got it done in about 4 hours. Now I know why spray foam guys charge so much :lol:

10 hours ago, vtx1029 said:

Oh well too late to turn back now. I'll just paint it if it gets too bad. Do you know what series the aluminum was you had?

I had a friend of a friend spray it and I cleaned all the studs and such. It was a ton of work but we got it done in about 4 hours. Now I know why spray foam guys charge so much :lol:

I'm 99% sure it was 5052.  I'll check my receipts tonight and let you know if it was something different.  I think part of the issue was the paper they used in between the sheets, which certainly didn't help.

We cleaned spray foam ONCE.  Never again!  Amazing how much neater the guys spray when they are the ones doing the clean up :)   

You might try POR 15 right from the start on it to keep it nice before it corrodes and pits. It's very tough stuff.

His looks pretty flat and looks like the guy stayed within the studs, mine was a real mess. It does look a little thin in a spot . Mine was probably a mess because I made the guy redo it, it was very thin in some places. You only get 1 chance at it.

14 hours ago, Hawg said:

You might try POR 15 right from the start on it to keep it nice before it corrodes and pits. It's very tough stuff.

His looks pretty flat and looks like the guy stayed within the studs, mine was a real mess. It does look a little thin in a spot . Mine was probably a mess because I made the guy redo it, it was very thin in some places. You only get 1 chance at it.

Yea that Por 15 is good stuff!

I was able to get away for a night and to a shake down test of the shack. So far I'm very pleased other than I have to figure out my electric jacks to work with a wireless remote control. Running each jack individually is a pain in the rear + not lowering down all at the same time could cause issues I would think if I left the tongue hooked up to the truck.  None the less we had a good night with a couple fish nothing to write home about until the next morning. My friends had left to the other side of the lake for some morning tip-up action, so I decided to poke around and do some wiring before packing up and heading home. Then I just happened to do a bobber check and one was down, Didn't even hear the rattle wheel go! None the less I set the hook and at first thought I had missed it because there wasn't much resistance. Started pulling and then got a little tug (was thinking it was a small walleye) then a nice little run and it gave up shortly. Pulled up some more and saw this huge meat head looking at me! At that point i was worried I was going to loose it, but was able to land it! I've caught bigger walleyes in open water and in canada but this is my biggest eye I've caught in MN & on the ice :) Needless to say a great first outing in the shack! I think I need to invest in a selfie stick!

Tale of the tape said 27 3/4 I wish I would have had my scale because I think she was pushing 9 lbs on the calibrated elbow ;)

I sent her back down the hole for someone else to enjoy someday!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by vtx1029

I know this is an old thread, but could you post a little more insight as to making the ramp door? I'm going through this now on my toy hauler build and am wondering what kind of gap to run for an R.O. to allow a good seal. What is H-Trim? Thanks in advance.