Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Dotch

Japanese beetles

8 posts in this topic

Made a visit to Reb's place Saturday and was impressed with his lawn and gardening prowess. Then as it was just about to rain a visitor from the east appeared: A Japanese beetle. Even worse, a couple of them were fornicating on his Early Girl tomato plant apparently after they'd had a good meal on the leaves. Another friend in the TC had a tree pretty well defoliated by them. Nasty things! Anyone having run-ins with these pests this year? 

Reb's pet Japanese beetle mugs for the camera

Japanese beetle.jpg

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/japanese-beetles/

http://www.extension.umn.edu/agriculture/soybean/pest/japanese-beetle/

My evening ritual after work, and again after dinner is to go out to the garden and squish as many of these pests as possible.

I have found that pole beans are a good trap crop, taking most of the infestation away from other pants. I have three trellises of pole beans around the garden and they have, by far, the most beetles out of any of my other plants. 

I have three apple trees and they are also very fond of their leaves.  

They also seem to like asparagus ferns. After pole beans and asparagus, they like my red and yellow raspberries. I find a few here and there on potato vines and rhubarb. 

They do not seem to like my black raspberries, strawberries, cucumbers, scarlet runner beans, carrots, beets, onions, zucchini, sunflowers, kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, bush beans, basil or tomatoes. 

Ya that might work, if one could get most people to do their lawns and establish the bacteria in the soil here. Since it controls only the grubs and the adults can fly long distances for food, hence the problem. I also see in the comments on the fact sheet in the link above that it was not effective controlling Japanese beetle grubs in Ohio St. trials. Resistance? Dunno.  

Huh...and here I thought Del was referring to what the NL probably has......:sick: :lol:

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, RebelSS said:

Huh...and here I thought Del was referring to what the NL probably has......:sick: :lol:

is that what you call the relationship between you and the NL????????

RebelSS likes this

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

There's that odd squeaking noise again, anyone hear it?   :grin:

that your bugs buzzin,or maybe just maybe that's the mating call of the NL!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Dotch and RebelSS like this