• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leech on Friday

thatoneguy

I'm thinking about playing hooky on Friday and hitting Leech on Friday...forecast is more high 70s and virtually calm winds. Should be fun froggin' weather! I may have a guy to fill the other seat, but in case he can't make it, anyone want to join me?

4 hours ago, thatoneguy said:

I'm thinking about playing hooky on Friday and hitting Leech on Friday...forecast is more high 70s and virtually calm winds. Should be fun froggin' weather! I may have a guy to fill the other seat, but in case he can't make it, anyone want to join me?

To bad, I have Friday off as well and was going to take a ride on the Dual Sport that a way and could have tagged along. Well good you wouldn't be Hitting me Friday then! :lol:

Edited by leech~~

thatoneguy,    You ever fish O'brien res.?   We get up to the Eveleth area once or twice a year in the fall and fish a number of lakes.  Last year we fished the north part of O'brien and got some nice fish.  This year we would like to try the much bigger south part.  We'll be up sep. 24th for a few days to fish a big bass contest on Long lake by 37 & 53.   Kaleva Island lodge is putting it on.  Check it out.

I haven't, rascal - thanks for the heads up. This fall I am going to try to fish a lot of new water (when I'm not on Mille Lacs or Leech). I will add those to the list!

BTW, Leech was AWESOME on Saturday. I quit counting at 75 fish. Great frog bite, great flipping bite, great weather, great fun.

1) Find rice
2) Throw frog
3) Set hook
4) Repeat

Honestly, that is not much of an oversimplification. The best thing to do is just move at a brisk pace with the trolling motor to cover water until you contact active fish, then slow down and pepper the area. This time of year, if you find one you have probably found several. Look for anything different in the rice beds...points, holes, isolated patches away from the main bed, different types of grass mixed in with the rice etc. There is no magic shortcut because there are literally miles of rice and the fish move around, but they are not hard to find, especially if they are looking up and will eat a frog. 

Steamboat, Sucker, Boy, Headquarters, Waboose, Uram bays and Federal Dam/river area all hold some really good fish, so you have options in case you need to get away from the wind.