• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canning thread 2016

I started 7/3 with 7 pints of dilly beans and 7 pints of jalepeno sweet beans. 

Last weekend I did an 8' row of beets which yielded 7 quarts of pickled beets. 

I am doing another batch of dilly beans tonight, and then some pressure canned beans mixed with carrots this weekend. 

Tomato sauce and relishes will start in August after the other two rows of beets are pickled. 

It is going to be stead vegetable canning action all the way into fall! 

6 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well,maybe you should. I would if I could. Especially after today.   :mad:

why the neighbor lady reject your advances!!!!!!!!:cry::grin::grin:

I really don't like to indulge during the work week!!!!!! but I might!!!!!!!!;)

7 minutes ago, Early Riser said:

I am doing another batch of dilly beans tonight, and then some pressure canned beans mixed with carrots this weekend. 

Tomato sauce and relishes will start in August after the other two rows of beets are pickled. 

that's a heck of a start early riser!!!!!!!!!! I had to file crop loss on my green beans this year!!!!!:cry:

Edited by smurfy

That is too bad Smurfy. If you were closer you could come a day or two after I pick, and take a nice bunch of green, yellow and purple beans. 

Speaking of the purple beans, I don't know that I will grow those again. The beans are fine, but the plants are very fragile and seem to get easily damaged by even fairly careful picking. 

On ‎07‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Early Riser said:

Would you mind sharing your tomato sauce and dilly bean recipes?  When I was younger I used to help my grandmother make canned tomatoes and I have not been able to find a recipe that turned out the same.  From what I can remember, we blanched the tomatoes to remove the skins and then cooked them down, but that's about all I remember.  I believe it was a hot bath as well.  The tomatoes were not chunky in the jar.  They were more of a sauce.  She made the best spaghetti sauce with it and it was an excellent chili/soup base.  I know we didn't run them threw any kind of grinder either.  Help anyone?

Last year I posted a canning question that I did not receive much feedback, so I thought I would ask again.  Does anyone use a vacuum sealer jar lid attachment for canning peppers and pickles?  I have been using a friends recipe for peppers and they turn out excellent.  Very crisp!  Anyone have a pickle or any other recipes they care to share for vacuum sealer use?

Here is the banana pepper recipe:

Mix: 3 cups of cold water (filtered or spring works best) per 1 cup of white vinegar
In each jar:  Add 2 toes of garlic, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, 1 tablespoon pickling spice and 1/4 teaspoon of alum.
Stuff jars with peppers cut in half (or however you choose).  I usually add a half habanero to a few of my jars for hotter peppers.
Fill with brine to cover peppers, add about a teaspoon of corn oil to the top of each jar before you lid and seal them.

Seal with vacuum sealer attachment and store a few weeks before opening.  They can be shelf stored and not refrigerated until opened.

Thanks! 

How about some recipes, Smurf, for us that are new to this?

I've always been tempted to try this, but afraid I'd poison myself....:sick:

On 7/21/2016 at 3:48 PM, Moonshine said:

Would you mind sharing your tomato sauce and dilly bean recipes?  When I was younger I used to help my grandmother make canned tomatoes and I have not been able to find a recipe that turned out the same.  From what I can remember, we blanched the tomatoes to remove the skins and then cooked them down, but that's about all I remember.  I believe it was a hot bath as well.  The tomatoes were not chunky in the jar.  They were more of a sauce.  She made the best spaghetti sauce with it and it was an excellent chili/soup base.  I know we didn't run them threw any kind of grinder either.  Help anyone?

Last year I posted a canning question that I did not receive much feedback, so I thought I would ask again.  Does anyone use a vacuum sealer jar lid attachment for canning peppers and pickles?  I have been using a friends recipe for peppers and they turn out excellent.  Very crisp!  Anyone have a pickle or any other recipes they care to share for vacuum sealer use?

Here is the banana pepper recipe:

Mix: 3 cups of cold water (filtered or spring works best) per 1 cup of white vinegar
In each jar:  Add 2 toes of garlic, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, 1 tablespoon pickling spice and 1/4 teaspoon of alum.
Stuff jars with peppers cut in half (or however you choose).  I usually add a half habanero to a few of my jars for hotter peppers.
Fill with brine to cover peppers, add about a teaspoon of corn oil to the top of each jar before you lid and seal them.

Seal with vacuum sealer attachment and store a few weeks before opening.  They can be shelf stored and not refrigerated until opened.

Thanks! 

Some hot dilly beans. I bought the beans at the farmers market......... don't know if that's cheating or not in the canning world. But the jalapeños and onions were from my garden. 

I used a refrigerator recipe. Let them sit in there for a couple weeks, and then they will be consumed quickly I'm guessing.

IMG_20160725_201210_059.jpg

I posted my millies pickle reciepe in the other thread!!!!!!! the pickle reciepe I use for canning is bacilli the same only in larger quantity. to do that many qts it takes 8 qts water 1 1/2 qts vinegar and 1 heavy cup picklin salt!!!!

4 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Some hot dilly beans. I bought the beans at the farmers market......... don't know if that's cheating or not in the canning world. But the jalapeños and onions were from my garden. 

I used a refrigerator recipe. Let them sit in there for a couple weeks, and then they will be consumed quickly I'm guessing.

IMG_20160725_201210_059.jpg

need help with the consuming part.......... at least before reb gets to em!!!:grin: look good!

The warden usually makes quite a few quarts of pickled beets but between the deer and the bunnies we have no beets this year. :mad:

Other than that its dill pickles (some with peppers and some not), tomatoes, tomato juice, salsa and I make my hot pepper sauce. I freeze the pepper sauce after it's bottled and I keep it in the fridge whilst using it so I guess you can't really call that canning. 

say im interested in finding out about moonshines questions, smurff would u care enlighten us please, since your the mastercanner here. what do u have for any info on his question. anything would help please. my gma used to do the same thing, andi alos have a food sealer attachment.  

7 hours ago, Boar said:

say im interested in finding out about moonshines questions, smurff would u care enlighten us please, since your the mastercanner here. what do u have for any info on his question. anything would help please. my gma used to do the same thing, andi alos have a food sealer attachment.  

The guys that are afraid to cook and eat a steak that was at room temp a couple hours will pour vinegar and water over raw vegetables and let sit on the shelf for weeks?   BTW what is the function of the vacuum thingy in this process?  It doesn't sterilize anything.  It doesn't suck that much air out.  Why not just put the lid on?  

The vacuum sealer will seal the jars like pouring hot brine into the jar and letting cool with the lids on.  They do indent so there is no/or little air in the jar.  I boil my jars and lids before filling so they are already sterilized.  One of the first times I tried to make peppers, I poured the hot liquid over the peppers and they were very mushy when I opened the jars.  Tried it again with more alum and grape leaves, same result.  The hot brine is not good.  A buddy told me about the vacuum sealer trick and I have been doing it since with great results.  Very easy and great crisp to the peppers.  Just made another five quarts last night after picking from the garden.  Been eating my own, my friends and his dads all made the same way for years.

So PH is log (base 10) of concentration of hydrogen ion.  So diluting the vinegar by 5x (log of 5 is .7) makes the ph 2.9 instead of 2.2, if I remember my 40+ year old chemistry.  Not counting any alkalinity from the veggies of course.

Feel free to correct above calculations..