Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

      Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
smurfy

Canning thread 2016

Recommended Posts

I started 7/3 with 7 pints of dilly beans and 7 pints of jalepeno sweet beans. 

Last weekend I did an 8' row of beets which yielded 7 quarts of pickled beets. 

I am doing another batch of dilly beans tonight, and then some pressure canned beans mixed with carrots this weekend. 

Tomato sauce and relishes will start in August after the other two rows of beets are pickled. 

It is going to be stead vegetable canning action all the way into fall! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Well,maybe you should. I would if I could. Especially after today.   :mad:

why the neighbor lady reject your advances!!!!!!!!:cry::grin::grin:

I really don't like to indulge during the work week!!!!!! but I might!!!!!!!!;)

7 minutes ago, Early Riser said:

I started 7/3 with 7 pints of dilly beans and 7 pints of jalepeno sweet beans. 

Last weekend I did an 8' row of beets which yielded 7 quarts of pickled beets. 

I am doing another batch of dilly beans tonight, and then some pressure canned beans mixed with carrots this weekend. 

Tomato sauce and relishes will start in August after the other two rows of beets are pickled. 

It is going to be stead vegetable canning action all the way into fall! 

that's a heck of a start early riser!!!!!!!!!! I had to file crop loss on my green beans this year!!!!!:cry:

Edited by smurfy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is too bad Smurfy. If you were closer you could come a day or two after I pick, and take a nice bunch of green, yellow and purple beans. 

Speaking of the purple beans, I don't know that I will grow those again. The beans are fine, but the plants are very fragile and seem to get easily damaged by even fairly careful picking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, smurfy said:

20 qts of pickles in the jar and 60 lbs of blueberries in the freezer. Burp!!! Well almost 60:grin:

Careful smurfy...you'll look like a big blue wood tick! :lol:

Blueberry girl.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Early Riser said:

I started 7/3 with 7 pints of dilly beans and 7 pints of jalepeno sweet beans. 

Last weekend I did an 8' row of beets which yielded 7 quarts of pickled beets. 

I am doing another batch of dilly beans tonight, and then some pressure canned beans mixed with carrots this weekend. 

Tomato sauce and relishes will start in August after the other two rows of beets are pickled. 

It is going to be stead vegetable canning action all the way into fall! 

Would you mind sharing your tomato sauce and dilly bean recipes?  When I was younger I used to help my grandmother make canned tomatoes and I have not been able to find a recipe that turned out the same.  From what I can remember, we blanched the tomatoes to remove the skins and then cooked them down, but that's about all I remember.  I believe it was a hot bath as well.  The tomatoes were not chunky in the jar.  They were more of a sauce.  She made the best spaghetti sauce with it and it was an excellent chili/soup base.  I know we didn't run them threw any kind of grinder either.  Help anyone?

Last year I posted a canning question that I did not receive much feedback, so I thought I would ask again.  Does anyone use a vacuum sealer jar lid attachment for canning peppers and pickles?  I have been using a friends recipe for peppers and they turn out excellent.  Very crisp!  Anyone have a pickle or any other recipes they care to share for vacuum sealer use?

Here is the banana pepper recipe:

Mix: 3 cups of cold water (filtered or spring works best) per 1 cup of white vinegar
In each jar:  Add 2 toes of garlic, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, 1 tablespoon pickling spice and 1/4 teaspoon of alum.
Stuff jars with peppers cut in half (or however you choose).  I usually add a half habanero to a few of my jars for hotter peppers.
Fill with brine to cover peppers, add about a teaspoon of corn oil to the top of each jar before you lid and seal them.

Seal with vacuum sealer attachment and store a few weeks before opening.  They can be shelf stored and not refrigerated until opened.

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about some recipes, Smurf, for us that are new to this?

 

 

I've always been tempted to try this, but afraid I'd poison myself....:sick:

 

On 7/21/2016 at 3:48 PM, Moonshine said:

Would you mind sharing your tomato sauce and dilly bean recipes?  When I was younger I used to help my grandmother make canned tomatoes and I have not been able to find a recipe that turned out the same.  From what I can remember, we blanched the tomatoes to remove the skins and then cooked them down, but that's about all I remember.  I believe it was a hot bath as well.  The tomatoes were not chunky in the jar.  They were more of a sauce.  She made the best spaghetti sauce with it and it was an excellent chili/soup base.  I know we didn't run them threw any kind of grinder either.  Help anyone?

Last year I posted a canning question that I did not receive much feedback, so I thought I would ask again.  Does anyone use a vacuum sealer jar lid attachment for canning peppers and pickles?  I have been using a friends recipe for peppers and they turn out excellent.  Very crisp!  Anyone have a pickle or any other recipes they care to share for vacuum sealer use?

Here is the banana pepper recipe:

Mix: 3 cups of cold water (filtered or spring works best) per 1 cup of white vinegar
In each jar:  Add 2 toes of garlic, 1 tablespoon of canning salt, 1 tablespoon pickling spice and 1/4 teaspoon of alum.
Stuff jars with peppers cut in half (or however you choose).  I usually add a half habanero to a few of my jars for hotter peppers.
Fill with brine to cover peppers, add about a teaspoon of corn oil to the top of each jar before you lid and seal them.

Seal with vacuum sealer attachment and store a few weeks before opening.  They can be shelf stored and not refrigerated until opened.

 

Thanks! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some hot dilly beans. I bought the beans at the farmers market......... don't know if that's cheating or not in the canning world. But the jalapeños and onions were from my garden. 

I used a refrigerator recipe. Let them sit in there for a couple weeks, and then they will be consumed quickly I'm guessing.

 

IMG_20160725_201210_059.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted my millies pickle reciepe in the other thread!!!!!!! the pickle reciepe I use for canning is bacilli the same only in larger quantity. to do that many qts it takes 8 qts water 1 1/2 qts vinegar and 1 heavy cup picklin salt!!!!

4 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Some hot dilly beans. I bought the beans at the farmers market......... don't know if that's cheating or not in the canning world. But the jalapeños and onions were from my garden. 

I used a refrigerator recipe. Let them sit in there for a couple weeks, and then they will be consumed quickly I'm guessing.

 

IMG_20160725_201210_059.jpg

need help with the consuming part.......... at least before reb gets to em!!!:grin: look good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The warden usually makes quite a few quarts of pickled beets but between the deer and the bunnies we have no beets this year. :mad:

Other than that its dill pickles (some with peppers and some not), tomatoes, tomato juice, salsa and I make my hot pepper sauce. I freeze the pepper sauce after it's bottled and I keep it in the fridge whilst using it so I guess you can't really call that canning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

say im interested in finding out about moonshines questions, smurff would u care enlighten us please, since your the mastercanner here. what do u have for any info on his question. anything would help please. my gma used to do the same thing, andi alos have a food sealer attachment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boar said:

say im interested in finding out about moonshines questions, smurff would u care enlighten us please, since your the mastercanner here. what do u have for any info on his question. anything would help please. my gma used to do the same thing, andi alos have a food sealer attachment.  

The guys that are afraid to cook and eat a steak that was at room temp a couple hours will pour vinegar and water over raw vegetables and let sit on the shelf for weeks?   BTW what is the function of the vacuum thingy in this process?  It doesn't sterilize anything.  It doesn't suck that much air out.  Why not just put the lid on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vacuum sealer will seal the jars like pouring hot brine into the jar and letting cool with the lids on.  They do indent so there is no/or little air in the jar.  I boil my jars and lids before filling so they are already sterilized.  One of the first times I tried to make peppers, I poured the hot liquid over the peppers and they were very mushy when I opened the jars.  Tried it again with more alum and grape leaves, same result.  The hot brine is not good.  A buddy told me about the vacuum sealer trick and I have been doing it since with great results.  Very easy and great crisp to the peppers.  Just made another five quarts last night after picking from the garden.  Been eating my own, my friends and his dads all made the same way for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So PH is log (base 10) of concentration of hydrogen ion.  So diluting the vinegar by 5x (log of 5 is .7) makes the ph 2.9 instead of 2.2, if I remember my 40+ year old chemistry.  Not counting any alkalinity from the veggies of course.

Feel free to correct above calculations..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Posts

    • It's dinner and supper!
    • My wife loooves Beets. Here's my recipe Lot of beets, as many as you can fit in to a large boiling pan. .add 1 cup draino .add 1 cup muriatic acid .heat with a blow torch throw off hwy over pass so they get tender under semi truck tries for one hour. Then go get some food and have a Beer! Enjoy! Hate um!      
    • The guy who told me this said teal were in big groups and he saw a few hundred
    • Just cuz they're flying that direction don't mean the migration started!   Summer-like temps again this year for the opener.  I don't think they're bugging out yet.  Last year I saw teal in NE MN in the 3rd week of October! I have enough shells and some calls I suck at blowing, along with decoys that sport my initials and '87 so I guess I'm as ready as every other year!
    • Never heard of one where ya DON'T cook the beets....but who knows? Here's one I used years ago... EASY PICKLED BEETS (1 Quart) 2 bunches small beets – ends trimmed and scrubbed 4 small onions – sliced and separate rings ½ cup liquid from boiled beets ½ cup white vinegar ½ cup honey – go local! ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon cinnamon or cinnamon stick ¼ teaspoon cloves Bring beets and enough water to cover to a boil over high heat.  Reduce to medium and continue to boil for 45 minutes.  With 5 minutes remaining on beets add onion slices.  Drain beets and onions, reserving ½ cup of the liquid, set aside. While the beets and onions cool add beet liquid, vinegar, honey, salt, cinnamon, and cloves to medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Peel beets (this should be easy once they are cooled), and slice.  Add sliced beets and onions to a Mason jar, or air tight container of your choosing.  Cover beets with boiled liquid, cover, and refrigerate at least 24 hours before eating.  I prefer them after about 72 hours.  
    • If that's lunch, I'd love to see dinner!! 
    • We can't find our recipe for pickled beets. Haven't done this for a couple of years.  Wife and I both certain we didn't cook the beets.....we just packed them in hot jars, poured the brine over, then boiled the sealed jars for 15-20 minutes.  I can't find a recipe that says you don't have to cook beets.  Does any one have such a recipe?  Our brine contained cinnamon sticks and cloves.  I imagine we could just add these ingredients to any regular vinegar/sugar/water brine though.  Mostly just wondering about using raw beats vs uncooked beets.  Thanks...Jim
    • Looks good, for sure. 
    • No, but this is what I would get if I was there. 
    • Really? I told them I will Only Agree to one year if the discounts are for one year and no problem. About two years ago I did call Direct TV and they wouldn't throw a deal. So I canceled my service then left for the weekend. I came home called them and said dish didn't show up to put it in and asked if they wanted me back has a new customer or if I just needed to let dish install it. They flipped it back on and gave me the deal. You will never get the "deal" with the first person you talk to. You have to talk to at least 2 people and the second one always gives in. I could really care less which one I have, but learning the channel number lineup sucks big time. I had dish about 6yrs ago and what made me go to direct tv is I had my dish get out of line on the roof of my two story house. They were gonna charge me $50-$100 for a tech to come set it right so I'd get a signal. I left and went to direct....The games they play are stupid. 
  • Our Sponsors