• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shells for pheasant hunting

over the years I've waited to long to  buy my shells. This year I'm going get then when

there is a selection to pick from.

Last year I tried Winchester's blind side. It sold me on new technology is something I should look in to.

The blind side is more of a duck shell but the birds that we would hit would just fold up.

We didn't have any coasters if we go feathers it went down.

what kind of shells have you guys been have good luck with?     

2 hours ago, fishingstar said:

I mostly hunt state land I'm looking for a steel shell that has the power of a lead shell.

You need to go bigger with steel.If you want a heavier hit then try a non tox load like bismuth etc.

16 hours ago, ESSGuy said:

In WPA's where I hunt , we use #2 or BB steel. Either hit them or you don't.  a big rooster can take a big  beating and run unless you break both legs, obviously.

Same for me.  It's also a plus that the meat isn't like a pincushion full of pellets when using BB like it is with higher loads.

#2 Steel here for me also. I hunt too much public and dont want to worry about switching to and  from lead. I dont have any issues with cripples and I knock plenty of late season birds down with no issues. 

I would suggest regardless what you shoot to spend some time patterning your gun and getting the appropriate choke for your style of hunting.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, rundrave said:

I would suggest regardless what you shoot to spend some time patterning your gun and getting the appropriate choke for your style of hunting.

This. Each gun will shoot loads differently. Many guys don't think of or think its important to pattern a shotgun because "I have a big pattern". Well, I have seen it first hand that some guns shoot low, some high, some left or right. It makes a huge difference when wondering why you are missing or crippling birds.

Different loads and swapping choke tubes also make a huge difference.

I like the Federal Prairie Storm loads #5 for lead.

Steel I shoot #3 Federal. Ive had better luck with 2-3/4" steel than 3" for some reason. Tend to miss more birds with 3". No idea why.

I haven't been able to find it now and I don't recall all of the specifics but if my memory is correct, there was a test conducted and the result for steel was 2-3/4" 12 ga, #2 shot, 1-1/4oz provided the best all-around performance. Don't recall what the choke of choice was. It seemed that the kill percentage was best (#3 was about the same in this regard) but the larger pellets seemed to result with less feather being pushed into the wound for some reason. I don't recall if there was an explanation for that. 

Just going off my memory so....

Depends. I used to shoot Kent Fasteel #2s, cuz where I was hunting, the only tall grass was next to ponds and I killed more than a couple ducks. See ducks coming, ditch the vest and hunker down for a minute. If it was specifically pheasants, 3" premium 4 shot lead. that stuff knocked birds down great for me

On 10/24/2016 at 3:35 PM, Cheetah said:

Federal #4 steel, but I shoot very few birds and don't get out much.  I am surprised to see so many replying with #2 or BB.  

The #2 pattern very well in my gun. And over the years I have realized if I shoot a pump or auto I dont get patient enough and just keep firing. I now shoot an O/U most days and it has made me a much better shot as I tend to take more time to aim knowing I only have 2 shots. Thus leading to the bird to being out a ways before I fire. At times when I have made a close shot I havent had any issue making pheasant hamburger. And #2 steel works great on late season birds with some thick skin.

I am sure results may very. If your confident with what your firing thats all that matters.