• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Powerhorse Generators.

Ok I know we have done the Genny talk before.  I am so interested in the blue Powerhorse from Northern.  It has great reviews.  I have been watching and reading them for a couple of years.  They have copper windings and a fuel shut off.  Something the big boys don't have.  I just would like to hear from someone who actually owns one instead of the mysterious reviews.  They are on sale online now for $569 and free shipping.  The cord to hook two of them up so you can have AC is FREE instead of $99 like Hondas.  I am hoping some of you have some info on them.  Let me know.   Thanks in advance.  I have a Dewalt commercial and it works great but would get kicked out of any campground if I used it for camping.  Great for around the acreage though.  

No experience with Generator.  But for running the AC, we can with our Yamaha 2400, runs at like 2000 watts, but will handle bursts up to 2400.   If we have the generator running,  turn everything ac  in the RV off, fire up the Air C  fan and let it run for about 30 seconds and then fire up the AC it works fine and we can turn a few ac devices back on.  We paid about $1100 for the Yamaha 2400.  

RL_SD posted this on a generator thread I started in the ice fishing forum awhile back.  Shoot him a PM, he seems to love his.

Went through the same decision process when I built my house. Everything is LED, I have a low wattage TV, and my furnace uses minimal juice. That being said, I pulled the trigger on a generator anyway. I ended up getting the powerhorse 2000 from Northern (the blue PowerHORSE, not black PowerHOUSE) and couldn't be happier. I get about 13 hours per tank of fuel, it starts when and actually seems quieter than the red ones (Yes... I have experience with both!). I decided to go the "cheaper" route because I didn't know how often I would use it. I have spent 12 nights in the shack this year and have utilized in roughly 65% of the time, so roughly 200 hours of use. I like the fact that it comes with the parallel cables in case I want to buy a second one to run my camper AC while boondocking or hunting. I do wish that it had a 12 volt outlet like the hondas, but haven't found a need for them yet. The first time out, it got down to -27 below and the generator run without an issue all night. That same weekend we shut it down for a few hrs in the afternoon (-10 below) to see how well it would start.... 2nd pull and we were off to the races. Don't get me wrong, the Honda's are wonderful machines - but so far the $400 savings was well worth it. I guess that time will only tell as to how long it will hold up, but I am a happy customer! I forget who it was but someone in the ice fishing forum was talking about this one I think.  Think its the one he bought and liked it.  was the guy

16 hours ago, LindellProStaf said:

I just read all of that Reb.  Good info.  So what is that hard start mod for the AC?  Does that make it easier for the Generator to start the AC?  Sounds like it.

AC Units draw substantially more juice when they first fire up.  The hard start cap stores extra power to get over the hump rather than drawing directly from your power source.  While it may take 1200 watts to run an ac unit, it could be 2000+ to get it started.  The caps are realatively cheap when compared to a second generator and most newer AC units already come with a spot for the cap which makes install easy.  If I start moving my trailer much I will definitely put one in.

Is that something a guy can do himself ML?  So if nothing else is on a guy could maybe run the AC with a 2,000 watt generator?   I dont know how big my AC is.  I will look tonight.  Sounds like 15,000 BTU is common in campers. 

My camper is a 2006 26' Rockwood is that tells you anything about size of AC.

5 minutes ago, LindellProStaf said:

Is that something a guy can do himself ML?  So if nothing else is on a guy could maybe run the AC with a 2,000 watt generator?   I dont know how big my AC is.  I will look tonight.  Sounds like 15,000 BTU is common in campers. 

1500 is common and yes I think you could definitely do it yourself if you have even a little knowledge on connecting wires.  Google RV hard start capacitor installation and you will get all kinds of how to's and videos.  Depending on the AC unit they even make some kits that are pretty much plug and play.  You ever change out a capacitor on your home ac?  Very similar.  If not for reference it took me about 10-15 minutes for my cap on my home unit and I would imagine it would be similar on a RV.  Just up higher on a ladder to make it more fun.

Just make it a point to never touch the leads of a capacitor new or old as a habit.  They can put you on your butt if not careful.

Edited by Moon Lake Refuge

Should say in your manual but just remember you will have two watt outputs likely.  One is running watts and one is starting watts.  Starting watts is removed if you have the capacitor.  Some newer units even come with a cap already in there but a lot of times it can still be under powered.

FYI here is a rough ballpark for AC i found online

Motorhome 5th Wheel and Camp Trailer Roof Top Air Conditioners Watts Required for start up Average wattage once running
7000 btu rv air conditioner 1700 600
10,000 btu rv air conditioner 2000 700
13,500 btu rv air conditioner 2750 1250
15,000 btu rv air conditioner 3500 1500

So according to this it looks like a 2000 watt with 1600 running watts should just handle it.  With nothing else on.  IF it has that hard start device you mentioned.  I did't look at mine last night.  Will check it out this weekend.  Good info.  ML.