Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

MJBaldwin

Plumbing Question

18 posts in this topic

alright guys I put a new sink in and re did a little plumbing had some galvanized I removed back to the old main (old house = fun issues) so here's the deal I added a disposal and an air admittance device. Issue is when I drain stuff I feel like it fills up the disposal and drains slow if not backs up on the non disposal side? Any thoughts I checks and the waste from disposal pitches to the stack. Just can't pin point this! See pics any suggestions would be great

image.jpeg

Lets assume your trap isn't full of large particles from the disposal. Slow drain and what appears as the other other basin filling.  Your getting  Positive Pressure.    If the sink were vented to a stack there couldn't be any positive pressure. The AAV is a one way valve operated by gravity so there is not relief of positive pressure.  Look for restrictions in the waste line and venting for the culprit.

Agree, sounds like venting, found out one side of my sink isn't vented.  And yes I have two separate drain lines running to my kitchen sink for some reason...

Before I didn't have a vent and no issues although no disposal. Now I add this AVV and seems to back up? Just not 100% I did check the trap the other day but nothing is in there like I said just installed it this weekend 

These may seem like no brainers but cant see so have to ask, does your drain run vertical to at least 6 inches above your sink without a horizontal bend?  How high does it go?  How many 90's?  Does it vent any other fittings before the main vent?

It does the 90 other the sink cabinet where the escutcheon is then runs horizontal about 4-5' then does another 90 into an older cast iron main (no its not backed up as my wife uses the tub and shower and don't have any issues). That 22.5 degree angled pieces are for the AVV vent.

It will drain eventually just not as quick as it should fills the disposal up then will slowly drain. So i know something is not right. But then the funny thing is then it worked for a little while no issues. Now back to the slow draining again while filling up disposal?

I just cannot pin point this issue and driving me nuts! Really dont want to call a plumber if not needed.

May be an issue specific to the disposal.  Have you call the manufacturer?  I found out awhile back that a lot of time they have the answer or can get you close.  May be an issue there.  How long did it work for?  Draining the sink one time?  For a day or week?  Just curious if someone else was showering or using a fixture at the same time altering the pressure somehow?

i have not contacted them but maybe i will? conditions were the same. I have only had it installed since Saturday. Its not bad if i dont have water full blast and use for a short while.

Hmm,.  Did you replace the basket or tailpiece?   I've seem some that are junk and way too restrictive. Did you change the size drainpipe to a smaller diameter?  Could be a larger drain pipe was used to in order to not sipon the trap being as there was no vent.  Something that was done years ago, and it worked.

sink and piping back to the branch is all new. drain size went from 1-1/2" cast to 1-1/2" PVC there was a lot of build up on the existing cast being almost 100 years old. When i turn the disposal on will run but then will start to come back up the non disposal side, and once off will slowly drain down.

I had a bathroom sink start to drain really slow then just about not drain at all. Took off the trap and it was clear? :confused:

Snaked out the line and nothing? :confused:

Went up on the roof and feed the garden hose as far as it would go down the vent pipe and turned the water on full blast.

I could hear water backing up and coming back up the vent pipe and when it almost got to the top whoosh! 57 years of leafs sticks, bugs, dead birds and what ever else built up in there cleared up nicely! Bathroom drain works like a charm! :)

RebelSS likes this

So one thing that pops out is the old pipe was corroded so that would cause a restriction naturally.  You replaced up to a certain point with new smooth plastic pipe.  Is this new set up allowing more water to go to the corroded pipe that is draining at the same rate as before?  You could be pushing more water to that spot and it is backing up into the disposal.  I have issues with my sink as the original builder spec'd the house to have the sink in the counter along the wall.  The owners wanted the sink in the island, which causes a vent issue.  So my sink is an AVV like yours and occasionally will cause issues.  I hope you get a solution, there is nothing worse than a slow sink.  Jeff

Leech, i would consider that although new piping and doesnt go outside vents through the AVV under the cabinet.

JMD, It worked fine before i had this disposal and no AVV valve. I took back the original one due to i thought it was a faulty one. Now i am second guessing these things? I have never used one before but seems like it is causing a headache... I would agree might be letting more water down but it doesnt seem to take that long to start backing up turn water on wait a min or two and i can hear that it is going to start backing up.

If the disposal is backing up you may want to check if there is a knock out to punch out. Ill see if I can find a video on this.

Heres the video but after looking again you aren't using the dishwasher Might be more of a venting problem.

On 6/22/2016 at 5:35 PM, delcecchi said:

What happens if you turn the disposal on?  

The kitchen lights come on.