Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

eyeguy 54

Strawberry o d time

15 posts in this topic

heading out soon to check out the strawberry moon.  friend brought 15 pounds over today. :):)  

desert, then made jam,  then super... now gotta figure out what to do with the rest!  

620a.jpg

620b.jpg

620c.jpg

smurfy, Mike89, leech~~ and 1 other like this

30 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

wine made with rhubarb also

I just plucked all or most our rubarb, cut it up and stuck it in the freezer. not much for wine though.

Where's the pancakes with strawberries? The shortcake? On the oatmeal? Hmmm? Hmmmm??   ;)

Looks good EG!   We're going this weekend.  We freeze a lot to make jam in winter.  

We haven't done anything with strawberries yet but we did just get done using up the cherries from our cherry tree in the front yard.  We canned a bunch of cherry jam, the wife made some cherry cobbler, and I made a homemade cherry sorbet. 

I had a cherry tree.... Robins loved it and they would eat cherries greener than I would.  Picking time would be mostly pits and stems, the flesh having been robin food.

13 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I had a cherry tree.... Robins loved it and they would eat cherries greener than I would.  Picking time would be mostly pits and stems, the flesh having been robin food.

We lose some to the birds but as long as I go out and pick everyday while they are ripening we are able to get plenty.  Not sure if its the type of cherry (Northstar Cherry) or just our location but bird loss is pretty minimal.  Biggest issue for us is if we get a bad wind at the wrong time when the cherries are first developing.  Last year we had the bulk of the cherries blow off the tree while still green so we got very few.

I had Northstar as well.  Maybe you have more other stuff for the robins to eat in the vicinity.  I also only had one tree... 

We only have one tree as well but the neighbor does have some other berry type trees (don't know what they are) so the birds may spend more time over there.

fresh strawberry topping on vanilla ic. man thats good stuf.

The family went out strawberry picking over the weekend and came home with 10 pounds that needed to be used.  Of course we are eating a fair share fresh or cut up on ice cream or shortcakes.  I also made a batch of strawberry rhubarb sorbet last night.  As luck would have it I "accidentally" made too much of the sorbet mix (strawberries, rhubarb simple syrup, and a couple tablespoons of blueberry vodka to help prevent freezing).  I took the left over mix put it back into the blender and added ice cubes and copious amounts of rum to make one (ok maybe it was 2) heck of a good daiquiri.

The rest got cut up today and some are going to be made into a different sorbet (not sure yet what I'll mix it with) and the rest are going to be made into fruit leather for my daughter to snack on, and perhaps I'll take a bite or 2 as well.

Normally we would can a bunch for jam but we already have a few jars left from last year, we have a bunch of the cherry jam we just made, and we still have plans to do raspberry jam which we ran out of.